Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Whew, this thread finally reopened. Anyone think the Knicks are actually going to deal Kristaps? It would be the Knicksiest move of all time but I have trouble believing Jackson has gotten that senile in his dotage.

He's enough of a dissident that I think Jackson will make an "example" of him and just kill the team even further

Then again, I thought they should have dealt Melo like 3 years ago when it was clear they couldn't compete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Paul George, Lonzo Ball and KP on the Lakers :getin:

Honestly I bet if ownership just shitcanned Phil you'd immediately see Kristaps get along with whoever the new coach is. I don't think it's a Kristaps problem.

Either way, I think I'm on the Philly bandwagon this year. I loved watching Fultz play in Seattle and that team looks like it's gonna be a ton of fun if all the youth can stick around each other and gel over the next year or two.

Philly's an interesting team. Deadspin continually shits all over them for "the process" but the fact is they were right but sometimes you can make the right moves and still fail, especially if you're just unlucky when it comes to injuries. I think we're in for another Cavs/Warriors finals but I have no idea how the Cavs improve enough to compete. They need to deal Love away, maybe get Paul George, who I think is more likely to go there than the Lakers, but then they still need more help. The NBA is in a weird place right now because the most interesting part of the pre-playoffs season is figuring out how the non-Warriors teams can build a legitimate contender.

Also agree on Kristaps

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

"Having your creature be countered is worse than 2/3s smashing butts at each other all day long" -WOTC

I'm a fan of counters but there's definitely a nontrivial portion of the playerbase that gets irrationally angry when you counter their poo poo

Chill la Chill posted:

WOTC made up a bunch of alternate games that use various oversized cards. Who knows, but I can see them adopting them into the main game the same way GW did with apocalypse.

they aren't going to incorporate planechase cards into regular Magic

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

They keep scrambling for answers with standard. I can see them trying out more gimmick formats. I mean did anyone ever see standard showdown being a thing? And then WOTC cutting back on what the attendance worthwhile and wondering why only 4 people show up now? 😂

all their oversized cards are printed for multiplayer formats and they haven't printed new planechase cards since 2012. They do one multiplayer/gimmick release per year and sometimes those include oversized cards, though I suspect Commander decks are by far more lucrative as products.

I don't have strong feelings about standard. It seems like it's better post-bannings, but was really bad for about 6 months there. I don't think they're going to introduce oversized cards as a gimmick to improve it. Keep in mind that changes that affect Standard beyond bannings will almost certainly impact modern as well.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I wouldn't say it's bad now, though if you weren't a fan before you aren't going to change your mind. It has it's ups and downs and the part that's "bad" now is specifically one tournament format (Standard).

Well and Magic Online, but that thing's always been garbage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
There is room for more games. The problem is that Magic's biggest competitor is a PC game

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

goth smoking cloves posted:

Can someone find that quote from someone from Hasbro/WOTC saying they don't view Hearthstone as a competitor?

That would make sense if they don't consider MTGO to be a real product, I guess

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
that's dumb as hell

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chris Paul is going to the Rockets, which is kind of mind blowing. That team will be reeaaallly interesting in the playoffs and if they can play reasonable D they might actually give the Warriors trouble. You could argue they have the two best guards in the league now.

It still won't be enough

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah one of the more interesting things about basketball is that the best team usually wins and the regular season is very good at determining who the best teams are. The basketball season is actually too long by about 30 games.

e: Also Lebron's 2016 block was rad as hell

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Xarbala posted:

This video is pretty good.

It's like a master class on how to use music and narration to make something appear waaaaaaaaaay more dramatic than it is

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

S.J. posted:

It's so weird to me that there are people who are surprised about codexes coming back.

Seriously. They were very clear about that from the outset. Like sure, be mad about it or whatever, but if you were caught by surprise that's on you

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah it was bad form to not make the indices free in some form or another.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

S.J. posted:

so, like, the rules? :allears:

At bare minimum, not making your 'core rules' (lmao) include all of the rules in your core rulebook is a huge gently caress you. They treated this entire exercise like they had turned a new leaf after the AoS reception, but, whelp.

Enh... I don't really agree. All the core rules are free, save a few missions (the free rules include one scenario). Given that they include datasheets with models now, you *should* have everything you need to play just buying models, if they've been updated to contain the new rules (which they probably haven't at this point). That said, if all you had were the free core rules and one $25 index book, you'd be perfectly set. It's a big improvement over a $60 rulebook and a $60 codex, even with new codices eventually replacing most of the indices.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

I like what my friend calls the "peekaboo" mechanics, where you nudge just far enough to be able to shoot one at one guy around a corner, then kill the rest of the squad with wound overflow. :getin:

The announcement said the codices won't cover everything, so you'll need the rulebook, the index, and the codex for your army.

I'm just wondering why they didn't go the route of just making expensive indices in the first place. Just stuff them full of all the background stuff the codices had, make them hardcover, and make everyone pay for it.

They've said that the stuff that the codexes don't cover is weird one-off poo poo like the "Imperial Space Marine" 30th anniversary figure. Once your army gets a codex, you won't *need* your index, and they've said the codex will overwrite any rules that appear in the both the codex and the index. You won't *need* the Index any more than you'd *need* your army's Forgeworld Index

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Iceclaw posted:

Wait, if codices rules overwrite others, aren't they pretty much mandatory?

If you want to play in any kind of structured environment, yeah. The basic rulebook stuff only covers the game rules, and doesn't cover unit/faction rules, though models come with those now (it isn't enough to really play on long-term). You basically still need to buy a codex for your army. Though this shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone, since GW was talking about Codexes coming back before the new edition came out.

S.J. posted:

I mean, of course the codexes were going to be mandatory. They can charge you the cost of a rulebook for each one :v:

I'd mind this a lot less if they charged less for digital editions. And also if they keep their promise of updating/adjusting rules on a regular basis, which so far they seem to be doing--they've already fixed a bunch of units and points costs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

Crossposting my attempt at a cover fix/houserule from the other thread:

What do you guys think? Any glaring flaws in it I didn't notice?

Also, completely agreed that physical should cone with digital. I mean, gently caress, it's 2017.

How is wound allocation complex? The player taking wounds picks, unless a model already has a wound, then that model gets it.

I probably wouldn't use your houserule, but then I don't mind how cover works right now--it's primarily for infantry, and it's generally based around being on an area of terrain. Plus, my group generally plays with enough LOS-blocking terrain that it isn't generally some huge issue, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

muggins posted:

They didn't even include how to deploy in the "core rules". It was a really poor idea to make free rules a huge deal. The indexes definitely should have been free too, but gw gotta turn a buck on everything.

Deployment is covered by the mission (and there are now new rules for deployment in the symmetrical missions where one player chooses which deployment map to use). The core rules come with a single mission that covers how to deploy for it, basically splitting the table into halves and requiring you be more than 12" from an enemy unit.

• Locked thread