Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Same, basically. But if you still have your old cards, by all means sift through and find any dual lands you might have, because they're worth hundreds of dollars. Couple years ago my friend gave me his magic cards - like four or five packs of Revised - and I sold off the dual lands and gave him an envelope with four hundred bucks in it. He was completely flabbergasted.

I was at a store a few years ago and some dude just dropped off a box of old magic cards he found in his house (not sure if they were his or his kid's that had left the home) and I think bargained about $100 for them. The owner of the store came in a little later and started sorting through them and realized that it was stuff that was worth like a thousand dollars total. They were nice enough to call the dude since he left his number and tell him he needed to get back and negotiate a much fairer price on the cards.

I had no idea Magic was bad now. I hope that might have a GW effect where some people peel off and start trying other things since at least in my area if you aren't playing Magic you aren't playing card games.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I enjoyed playing it when I knew some people that were into it but one person quit and then it just snowballed until the people I enjoyed playing with were all gone. It was fun to draft when I was interested but quit about three years ago so I have no idea what's going on now. I'd just like there to be room for more than one game since a few stores tried pushing other systems but even on dedicated nights for other stuff the magic players still took over and nothing ever sticks. I saw a few Game of Thrones people trying to push that game before giving up when the new edition hit and Netrunner died almost immediately last summer. A store supposedly had a decent Netrunner community for a little while but then the local grognard kings decided the meta was no good and actively pushed people away from that game as hard as they could.

I'm really hoping I can get a few people I know to play the new Five Rings game when it hits because I know that it will never catch on in this area where you can find someone playing it in the wild.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 28, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

That quote owns. I know I saved a pic of it somewhere...

So in one of the stores I regularly visit, the new manager is more of a boardgames and wargames person so she's allotted more time to those and less to magic (though the store always has open play barring space). It's funny to see a classic case of the privileged kicking and screaming as their once dominant position has been opened to a more balanced set of games.

The magic players still come for events of course, but the store now has more board game and wargame sales and community. Imagine that.

That's really cool of her. The stores here really just cater to Magic but maybe that's just the market for our area and people are expected to play their board games and LCGs at home with established groups.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Apparently WOTC bumped up the number of players needed for some level of tournament support a couple of months ago. So the guy running tournaments around here decided to ragequit the game in response, and took the entire local Magic community with him.

Just flat-out no games of Magic here any more. It was a weirdly sudden change.

Still the same four guys playing Age Of Sigmar every week, though.

I don't understand how that is possible for an entire gaming community to vanish because of one guy. That's nuts. I've known a few dudes that could definitely swing how people played and get some to switch systems or whatever but not to the extent that everyone just disappears.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LordAba posted:

I guess, despite it basically being AoS-a-like. Not a bad thing, it does fix a lot of stuff that AoS does wrong, but still. Also, terrain is pretty loving useless as written.

We will have to see when the codices come out if they are going to go in any crazy balance breaking direction.

It's been a while for me but at least in Fantasy the army books was where the game broke down severely. 7th edition was actually a pretty good rule set and fixed some of the issues of 6th but then three books in they gave army wide ASF to High Elves and it was downhill from there. The Arch Lector on the War Altar was also a huge mistake but it wasn't as game breaking as what followed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LordAba posted:

This is kind of like 7th 40k. The basic rules were a decent enough evolution of 6th, but then they released formations that gave certain armies 300+ free points of wargear while other armies got... hammer of wraith if they rolled a 10 or above (think the old ogre charge rules on S3 infantry).

Yeah with 7th edition Fantasy it was all over the place. You had High Elves and Vampire Counts which had changes to their fundamental army rules which ended up being overpowered but not totally broken. Then Demons and Dark Elves which were clearly the army book writers (Matt Ward and Gav Thorpe respectively) basically writing totally game breaking books because they were huge fan boys that couldn't help themselves and just made their wet dreams a reality. However there was Beasts of Chaos which just flopped so it wasn't pure army creep. They just had no idea how to balance their armies and absolutely no plan for how they would work against each other in context of the game they designed.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 6, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The problem at least used to be that Games Workshop heavily encouraged tournament play which is dramatically at odds with their style of weak rules writing. The worst experiences I had with the hobby were when prizes were on the line and people were using broken lists that relied on untested rule books or I had to be the rear end in a top hat that explained to people that the way they played back in their local club was wrong and that the rules didn't work the way they expected. I think one time I had to call a judge over five times because the dude was just playing incorrectly so many times since his local scene had interpreted the rules poorly and finally I just gave up because it wasn't worth it. Another time a guy got so mad at me questioning his rules interpretations (which somehow always gave him an advantage and he was right one out of seven or so times I asked for a rules judgement) he told the judges afterwards I had an illegal army list in an attempt to get me banned for life from that particular tournament. In addition they also had 'ard Boyz which was supposed to be back breaking lists run by grognards which always resulted in even more rules arguments. They've since gotten rid of a lot of that support and kinda leaned into the "let's goof off with friends" angle which I think much more aligns with their style of rules writing and army balancing. Having to constantly get people to verify rules in competitive tournaments because they are written for casual play (and consequently the casual nature of the game results in people learning the rules wrong and never getting corrected until they run up against people that actually read the book) is terrible. People trying to game the rules and get stuff by other players in GW tournaments was a huge reason I just stopped bothering with them. When I moved on to just being a rules judge for tournaments I saw this from the other side and how one person always got kinda screwed when something worked how they didn't expect it and it was just as irritating.

I really support GW just leaning in to making the game just something fun for its fans (my friends that still play really like it) rather than trying to have official tournaments with a game that isn't really designed for it.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 10, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

'Ard Boys was fun just to make the most broken stuff and not give a crap since it was so silly. My friend ran that dumb Chaos list where you abuse the chaos altars and just reroll craps dice until you get an unkillable deathstar. People incorrectly thought that Thorek was broken enough to run in 'Ard Boys (the real busted stuff at the time was Lizardmen MSU, Demons, and high elf Dragons) and I had to beat three of his armies in a qualifying tournament in a row.

Yeah in 40k the leaf blower was real dumb just watching armies get shot off the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I totally agree writing actually good solid rules is best since it results in few discrepancies and people go in knowing what their stuff is going to do without having to make a legal argument mid game. I don't agree at all with the people that think a really weak ruleset is more fun because to me it just results in arguments as very few people really don't care at all about winning, especially Games Workshop fans. If GW is going to sell their game as just goofing around with your models and the rules are intended to be a framework to enact your narrative since if you go in knowing that it's on you then it's somewhat more excusable but you can't do that and then also encourage tight competitive play.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 11, 2017

• Locked thread