Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I'm gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Bookmarked and voted 1

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

CGL also publishes Shadowrun, Loren Coleman is less "an employee" and more "a co-founder and (co-?)owner", and they're infamous for stiffing freelancers to this day

actually, GW is bad

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

hmm I'm gonna bet that they are not actually going to avoid the rules for the new edition of 40k being terrible

I think the only way to find out is thousands of words of autism followed by enthusiastic fellatio of the spergs by white noise posters.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Drone posted:

WotC also just announced that CGL will be creating and releasing some new card game or something based on the Dungeons & Dragons license, so that might give them a bit more cash to shore up Battletech (one could hope). They really do need to go deeper into marketing Alpha Strike and get a new Intro Box Set out there that contains the starter rules for both TW and Alpha Strike... though I think they announced a new Intro Box was coming at some point in the near future anyway.

You could probably also mention that the CGL dude is also sorta infamous for embezzling company money to build extensions onto his house, though he's apparently "reformed" now :rolleyes:

it's me i'm the person who is angry about threads

Actually, GW is bad

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Luebbi posted:

I’ve got you, fam.

Privateer Press

With a focus on the competitive scene, PP pride themselves on writing concise rules that do not leave room for interpretation. They’ve grown a lot since their early days, and have expanded their Warmachine and Hordes brands to several other markets, including card games and RPG’s.

Notable Games: Warmachine and Hordes

Boneheaded moves: the release of their newest edition last summer was rocky at best. After community outcry they rebalanced an entire faction from the ground up, but others still have lots of internal discrepancies (why should I take X, when Y does more and costs less). Meanwhile they killed their volunteer Pressgang program with no warning, gutted their forums to a barebones affair, and raised prices on new products to 60$ for a single character Warbeast. Right now they’re busy releasing theme-forces, which limit your army composition but give benefits, including free models. The usefulness of these varies from “why would I ever take this” to “I can play what I played already, get ~20% more points and take away my opponent’s advance deployment, gutting certain armies”. Seems fair.

Actually, GW is bad.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Whew, this thread finally reopened. Anyone think the Knicks are actually going to deal Kristaps? It would be the Knicksiest move of all time but I have trouble believing Jackson has gotten that senile in his dotage.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

He's enough of a dissident that I think Jackson will make an "example" of him and just kill the team even further

Then again, I thought they should have dealt Melo like 3 years ago when it was clear they couldn't compete

Paul George, Lonzo Ball and KP on the Lakers :getin:

Honestly I bet if ownership just shitcanned Phil you'd immediately see Kristaps get along with whoever the new coach is. I don't think it's a Kristaps problem.

Either way, I think I'm on the Philly bandwagon this year. I loved watching Fultz play in Seattle and that team looks like it's gonna be a ton of fun if all the youth can stick around each other and gel over the next year or two.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I don't think anyone meaningfully challenges the Warriors next season but there's a number of teams that seem like they're poised to get really good in the next couple years as their cores get older- Philly, the Bucks and Boston are the obvious ones but the Pellies could explode if Davis and Boogie figure out how to play together and they add a PG who can take perimeter shots. Also, there's like zero chance that Westbrook stays with OKC next summer, so that could pave the way for some super team to form. This coming season feels like a bit of a scratch but I think the next 3-4 years are gonna be really interesting for a lot of teams.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TKIY posted:

I'm anxiously awaiting the .200 winning percentage the Raptors will have next year without Lowry.

Raps are doomed yeah. Not sure what they're supposed to do at this point, theyre in that unfortunate spot where they're probably too good to get lottery picks and they're definitely too bad to get through the best teams in the conference to lose to the Warriors in 5. Probably time to blow it all up and tank, tank tank. Maybe try to lure Wiggins and go full Canadian Pride?

grassy gnoll posted:

I don't really follow football, but there has never been a time when "gently caress Philly" is an inappropriate response in the history of human civilization.

Eagles, Flyers and Phillies all suck and especially their fans suck, but the 76ers are incredibly endearing at this point and I'm really excited to watch a potentially elite starting 5 where one guy is 26, two guys are 23 and two guys are 19.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

This is pretty much the entirety of my argument right here.

Honestly, I forgot they had a basketball team. I'm guessing that's pretty young for a line?

It's incredibly young. Hoops players are generally in their prime between 25-30, so if they can keep this core together they have the opportunity to get everyone working together and building good relationships for the next season or two, and then potentially have everyone hitting their peak together while having the sort of strong chemistry that elevates the whole to be better than the sum of its parts. Its a lot like what OKC did after stealing Durant and Westbrook from Seattle and then adding Harden. Impatient Philly fans absolutely have the opportunity to ruin this though v:shobon:v.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Neat, I've actually learned a thing today.

Hockey's mostly in the same boat. Prime age is about 23-28 for offense, 25-30 for D and up to about 32-35 for goal keepers. The exception is when you get generational talent, where the entire sport and the related coverage goes bugfuck for a dude still in his teens, but any time they don't deliver impossible performance they're callow youth, unfit to lick the boots of [player from when commentator played].

It's pretty cool right now because there's a preposterous number of those generational talents coming into the game all at once. The Maple Leafs lineup is a lot like how you're describing the 76ers, and they're almost back to not sucking after like fifty years.

(Which you may well know, and if you do no disrespect intended, but I would rather talk about A Sport than these loving games at this point.)

I don't really follow hockey since my hometown has never had a team, so this is interesting!

It seems like basketball, soccer and hockey all have a lot of analogues- players peak in their late 20s, and the games seem fundamentally about either creating or controlling spacing. I wonder if that's all interconnected to some degree. I know a big jump basketball players tend to make is learning "vision" and figuring out how to make high-value passes and shots, which is why you have 19 year old freak athletes making a big splash in the league, but the MVP awards always seem to go to guys in their late 20s, since they make the team around them play better.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Its Rinaldo posted:

Have you paid attention to any of the stadium stuff recently? I stopped after the last time Chris Hansen got blocked by the port and some nonsense about a stadium in Everett was being talked about but it seems to have got even more complicated. I just want to watch hockey in Seattle.

It looks like OVG is going to go ahead with the Key Arena remodel, and conspiracy theorists on Twitter noticed that the NHL trademarked "Seattle Metropolitans" in Canada. Tea leaves all indicate that hockey is coming before hoops return, which makes me sad but is still exciting. Hansens arena plan is in a coma but not technically dead, and I think rebuilding Key Arena is stupid considering how horrific Mercer traffic is these days and how dense Queen Anne hill is now compared to when the Sonics were playing, but any arena progress is good by me. I would expect NHL expansion to be announced shortly after groundbreaking on the Key renovation.

The mayors race complicates things but if McGinn comes back into office we'd end up with a strong advocate of the Hansen plan in city hall, which is a good thing. I'm an eternal optimist but I think we can hope for both hoops and hockey playing in a new or majorly remodeled arena by 2025.

In present day NBA news, Milwaukee picking up Jimmy Butler is really exciting- they have a chance to be a real contender this year now. It's fun when small town teams get scary.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Not a viking posted:

Oh cool the Death thread is back!

I hope this iteration has more interesting discussions and gossip from the industry and less "no YOU" and (un)ironic "GW is cool and good" to troll the "hug box".

Corvus Belli:
A Spanish company with a sci-fi skirmish game that launched its third edition some two (?) years ago. The rules and web based army builder is free, with background books and physical copies of the rules available to buy. Money is made by selling relatively expensive models that you don't need that many of (technically). Model count is 10-20, but most players have a lot more because we like versatility and the models are pretty. No silly heroic scale. Comes with a robust tournament system that is updated each season (year) with new missions and tweaks to old ones. Very objective based, meaning you can lose your entire army and still win the game, black ops style. Has some game mechanics (order resource pool, Automatic Reaction Orders) and A LOT of special rules that takes some time to master even for veteran war gamers even though the core rules are very logical.

Notable games: Infinity. Has a sci-fi RPG spin-of and a board game spin-of that is going to be launched in June this year.

Boneheaded move:
They keep putting out new profiles and models no one asked for, even though they are far behind in the production of models that have had rules for years.
Many of their female models have a certain "cheesecake" feel to them, with a lot of T&A (the worst part of the manga inspiration).

GW is cool and good

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I don't really know all that much about the NBA, as I stopped following when the Supersonics died, and hadn't followed it seriously for long before that, but I too thought this would be the case as he'd make a formidable partnership with Thon Maker and the Greek Freak.

Then I realised Butler had been traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves, not the Bucks, and I don't see how Butler is going to make a worthwhile dent in their 31-51 record.

Yeah, my b. I wouldn't discount the Timberwolves though- Butler, KAT, and Wiggins is a very strong core going forward and I'd expect them to make noise in the playoffs next year.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Fsmhunk posted:

Did GW go out of buisness yet?

No, but it's still ok to be weirdly mad about them for years on end with your internet buddies, if that's your thing.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TTerrible posted:

GW is insanely good.

:same:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Can we talk about how hilariously bad Magic has been for a while? 5 cars banned in the current standard, the current draft format has a straight unbeatable rare in Glorybringer, and there have been three unannounced changes to what sets are legal in Standard in the past two years. On top of that, all their game designers are contractors, their online offering is 15 years old and the current iteration offers no meaningful improvement in stability or UX relative to what was available a decade and a half ago.

WotC sells cardboard crack but the poo poo they're pushing at this point is 50% baby formula.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Is that a new thing? I haven't been a magic player in ages but it definitely used to seem like they had at least some permanent design people.

It's been a gradual transition over the past 5-10 years. They still have a couple full timers to write articles and be the face of R&D, but they've been churning through a million anonymous people for various sets and it really shows. There hasn't been a truly fun set to draft for at least 4-5 years, and there have been a couple that were completely horrendous, either through busted unbeatable rares, some colors being essentially unplayable, or the format either being absurdly fast or mindnumbingly grindy.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

I stopped playing properly after just after Origins dropped due to life obligations and tried to get back in when Zendikar 2 came out but those two sets were unbelievably bland, especially compared to the first Zendikar block. I tried again in Innistrad 2 and hit the same brick wall there, especially when Eldrich Moon came out and did little to nothing to build on what few interesting mechanics SoI had. From what I heard, Kaladesh was another boring mess marred by a trio of singularly overpowered cards and Amonkhet is shaping up the same way.

It's a shame really, the settings and flavour seems pretty on point but the card design and storyline are a dumpster-fire. I wanna hope and say they'll pull their fingers out for the next set because the concept sounds cool, but it's a guarentee they'll flounder all over the place like they have since the end of Tarkir.

Ah well, there's always Commander.

I have some buddies who have done tours of duty at WotC and the scuttlebutt I heard was that there was a big political battle between the brand and design teams over who had ultimate ownership of the MtG product. I think the past few years have shown that brand probably won- there are a lot of interesting, fun worlds and a coherent storyline they're showing us, but the actual product has been garbage and really really bad to play. I only really play through my sealed league at work these days, and it's really been fundamentally about opening busted rares and hoping to draw them during games- there just aren't efficient, common answers to big threats any more, so if you open the big scary dragon and can play it for half your games it's very hard to lose matches.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

With what's been going on at FW they should have just delayed releasing their 8th edition rules for three months, or put the rules up for free as playtest rules and let the community go over them and find all the problems.

Trying to get 4 indexes out in that time frame with what has happened just wasn't realistic, so it looks like a lot of stuff is unedited 1st draft stuff.

A bunch of people at FW have died recently too- Bligh was the most recent but a car full of their designers crashed a year or two ago which contributed to Infernos delay. Honestly, I can't blame their release schedule at this point.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Just to talk about Magic because it has been more GW-y than GW for the last couple months,

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said after this point, but I think WotCs been really troubled for quite a while, it's just all bubbling up now and causing backlash.

Someone was asking about modern and legacy earlier- those are interesting formats and still fun to play, but there's absolutely some problems with them them. The first is the cost of entry. It's probably $1,000 minimum these days to buy in to either format competitively, and the second issue that dovetails nicely with that upfront cost is that you run a very real risk of a key card in your deck getting banned with no warning, forcing you to invest in another deck. Some cards are pretty fungible across decks and so if your deck eats a ban you won't necessarily have to replace 100% of what you've already sunk in, but you could honestly be looking at needing to replace 80% of the cards in your deck, and they'll often be stupidly expensive ($20 each and you'll need a set of 4 is pretty normal, and there's frequently $50-$100 cards.) Finally, the metagame shifts and WotC usually prints a couple of busted cards in each set that shakes up the older formats, so even if you've already sunk north of a thousand bucks in your cardboard wizard squares, you're expected to keep the money treadmill running every three months or so just to stay up to date.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Here's the point i'd say wizards got Bad:

From time to time, we do market research where we use actual data to test how we're doing. What we learned was that the sets using New World Order were much easier for the new players to understand than the sets before New World Order, but our number crunchers informed us that there was significant room for advancement. In other words, it was accessible but it could be more accessible.

We were then challenged by upper management to see what would happened if we notched it up another level.

What started as a philosophy statement of designing simple and flavorful cards got some sweet sweet senior leadership attention in 2013 and has since spiraled. Throw in a fight between design and brand and a bunch of contractors and et voila a dumpster fire.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

ilmucche posted:

The cycling in standard was a way to prevent power creep, wasn't it? stupid powerful cards could be banned, then strong metas would fade as their component parts cycled out. Makes legacy and whatever the format for older cards is a mess though. gently caress affinity.

I'd say it's 20% that, 5% to keep complexity manageable/to keep things accessible for newbies, and 75% to force the most engaged players to keep buying cards from the most recent sets.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
99% of cards in the game are worth less than a buck. You might randomly have a few valuable cards in an old collection but it's overwhelmingly likely to be chaff, and if it's cards from like 1997-2003 the best you're likely to get is maybe a $40 card or two.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

lilljonas posted:

lol, I also saw someone mentioning Force of Will being removed for being too powerful. Gimped af.

It's not. It's a cornerstone of both Legacy and Vintage and they've been printing foil promo versions for the past couple years- it's actually technically available in the current set as one of those awful "Egyptian" style promo cards.

What the other guy was referring to was a design philosophy that's taken hold for the past few years, where answers to threats have gotten very expensive and clumsy and the threats themselves have gotten much more efficient. So counterspells are either very narrow or cost 3 or more, spells that kill a creature tend to cost 3-4 at uncommon and rare and 5-6 at common, and burn spells tend to be 3-5 mana at common and 3 damage for 2 mana at uncommon. Personally, I think it's ruined Limited since if your opponent rips their super efficient scary rare dragon or demon or whatever, you likely do not have a great way to deal with it before it kills you.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

they aren't going to incorporate planechase cards into regular Magic

This is the death thread my friend, knowing about things is not required to have incisive opinions about them.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Chris Paul is going to the Rockets, which is kind of mind blowing. That team will be reeaaallly interesting in the playoffs and if they can play reasonable D they might actually give the Warriors trouble. You could argue they have the two best guards in the league now.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

It still won't be enough

For sure, but I have hopes for a 7 game playoff series where the typical score is like 142-139

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Here's a basketball question. Obviously a game where you have the possibility of scoring multiple points on a single play will have a higher score. But basketball has a lot more individual instances of scoring than hockey, (this is pretty much always going to be my referent, sorry) where you get one point per puck in the goal, and a 4-3 game is considered a pretty high-scoring game.

I really like a game where the defensemen get to show off. A good save is often more entertaining than a bullshit accidental goal. This is definitely not a universally-held opinion, though.

Do you feel basketball suffers or benefits from having so many chances to score? Is a points race better entertainment value in your book than a race to break a shutout?

I like high scoring games, and personally, one of the things I dislike about soccer particularly is the inherent variance of a goal- a team can absolutely be better than their opponent and lose or tie a critical game thanks to a freaky scoring event (or in the absolute worst case, a penalty kick for a questionable or nonexistent foul arbitrarily decided by the ref in a nonreviewable process). Bball having lots of scoring greatly mitigates that variance and by the end of the season it's hard to argue that the best teams aren't in the final stages of the playoffs- compare that to the MLS, where medium teams often sneak into the playoffs and then win the whole thing thanks to fluky games.

All that scoring doesn't really mitigate great defensive performances though. A lot of people would say that Lebron's block was the highlight of the 2016 finals, and the final moments of a tight game are often decided by strong defense as much as they are by brilliant offense. One tendency in basketball, though, is that offense can be very individualistic, but D is really a team effort, since one of the guiding principles of modern offense is moving the ball and exploiting lapses in coverage to generate space. There isn't as much of an opportunity for a singularly dominant defensive player to make a mark (outside of maybe blanking a star playmaker) compared to how much an individual contributor can shine on offense.

• Locked thread