Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Something of a curiosity: Is it commonplace for a live sound FOH engineer to take impulse responses of a space?

I worked as a stagehand yesterday setting up for a Roxy Music concert. When the PA was flown, they ran their standard tests of white noise and some tones through it, and then a couple of hours later I heard a lot of what sounded like impulses - short sinewaves rapidly ascending through the spectrum. The engineer had a couple of analysis-lookin'-microphones in front of his console. Is this actually just more PA testing, or was he actually taking an impulse response? If the latter, why? The concert was being recorded, is it to augment the arena's natural reverb for the video release?

An aside, it was nice working again, and working so closely with Roxy's road crew, who are some funny guys. I'm currently pushing to get into the film industry to finally use my audio diplomas, but I'm now kind of on the fence about whether I'd rather move up in the stagehand union and end up a console operator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CaptainViolence posted:

i mostly do post, but i measure impulse responses to calibrate a space whenever i set up a smaller studio. once you have that you can apply a global eq curve to correct for any resonances or cancelations happening. i've never heard of it being used in a live room, but that's cool! (if that's what it is, i mean)

Oh drat, that's almost certainly what was going on. It's pretty obvious in retrospect, lol. Thanks!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Ugh that's brutal. Even as a kid I knew (from making mistakes) that Phono inputs are JUST for a single turntable without a preamp. In a similar but opposite vein, I was chatting with a friend who produces and also owns a local cafe the other night, about how much I appreciate the sound in the cafe, because not only did he install some quality speakers, there's also a limiter behind the bar that you can see is doin' some work, and he placed the subwoofer behind and close to the DJ 'booth' ("for DJs who always think they need more bass"). AND he always has his Pioneer mixer properly gain-staged, which if you've seen my posts in the DJ threads is something that is refreshing, because like 95% of DJs and soundguys alike don't seem to know how to do it.

Is there a good primer out there for the science of speaker cabinet construction? It's something I've always been fascinated by, and should probably know more about (given my penchant for Drum & Bass, and who knows maybe I could leverage some of that into some soundguy gigs with the local systems). I get the seat-of-the-pants about ported cabs and constructive interference at a certain frequency, but the actual on-paper physics stuff has always eluded me a bit, as well as why you would want a volume bump to be at a certain frequency - again, seat-of-the-pants my guess is that it's all to taste, and that's why 'soundsystem culture' is as much about experiencing different rigs as it is about the music. But I don't know, it's something I'd love to learn more about though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks! I'm not currently planning on building any cabs, but it couldn't hurt to know more about the physics of them in trying to get more of that kind of work.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Inexpensive limiter solution for a karaoke setup?

A guy I know runs a weekly karaoke night at a local bar where he works, and as usual he's messaging me because he needs help with something audio-related.

They have the most basic of setups; a small 4-input mixer with two mics and a laptop running YouTube karaoke instrumentals. We've talked about upgrading the mixer to one with some onboard effects so he can apply limiting to the mic and worry less about turning up or down mic levels.

I feel like a better mixer is probably out of their budget though; last time they 'consulted' me about this stuff they just ended up buying the 4in mixer (and some cheap SM58 clones) even though I recommended something larger.

Would a guitar limiter pedal through some XLR/TRS adaptors be an absolutely stupid janky thing to do in this situation? Are there other options I haven't considered? Thanks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does the DBX 166 take mic-level signals or is it line-only? The problem is that the small mixer they have here doesn't have insert taps for any channel.

I found this which seems to fit the bill as it's both a preamp and a comp, so it could sit comfortably in between the mic and mixer. I should have known ART would have something cheap like this that would work for these purposes. Unless there's something glaringly wrong with it, I think this is what I'll recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How different are commercial theatre sound systems from those in music venues? Like, from my limited (but not quite layman's) understanding of sound reinforcement I thought there are some critical differences that tend to mean that if a system is really good at making movies sound good, it won't be great for music, or vice-versa. Is there any truth to this? My friends and I are entertaining a "if I won the lottery" pipe dream riffing on the kind of project theatre/venue we'd open. My dream is to have a hybrid Small Theatre/Music Venue, and seat-of-the-pants I thought it was a more difficult compromise than I'd expect, certainly more involved than switching between presets on a DriveRack:
- Bass is managed fairly differently in theatres than it is in music venues. Again, seat-of-the-pants but I think having a band play through a theatre system would be way too muddy, absolutely drenched in bass because those systems need that oomph to emphasize explosions and poo poo.
- A theatre environment necessitates surround sound, something that is not only basically unnecessary for music but may be detrimental to a quality mix because it's a nightmare for feedback, and just turning off the rear/side/height speakers wouldn't work.
- Simply having two separate systems in the space might work, and only using one of them each time but wouldn't you get some sympathetic resonation in the turned-off system that would make a clear mix difficult?
- Also, like, you tend to want to sit down to watch a movie. The logistics of moving rows of chairs that don't suck and storing them somewhere is something to consider.