Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Is this the right place to post about the most overbuilt PA I've ever seen in my life? I hope so!

I'm a retired (lovely) club DJ who now mostly does audio setups for medium indoor venue shows, outdoor festivals, and the occasional wedding. So I'll appreciate it if people are like "naw that's totally appropriate, you're just using systems that are too small"

This is two LD MAUI44s, and eight (8) powered monitors, on a 20 foot by 10 foot stage. They also had a 32-channer Heath Allen mixer just to the right of the stage there, and six wireless mics. I don't set up for large venues but I feel like this could have driven a couple football fields with 500-800 people. We were at an elementary school soccer field with about 60 people.

There were also three stages, with people playing flutes and guitars, unamplified. They were not happy. When I get up to hit play on the iPod for the Irish dance school I asked why the buildout. One of the two audio engineers said it was for the band coming on later.

I tried to ask the sound guy to turn it down but he got super defensive and told me he had to cover the entire soccer field. Then went on to brag about the MAUI5 he had set up at stage two, 200 feet away.

Anyway, that's my story. We had to leave before Coldplay showed up because we couldn't hear each other at the other end of the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Virgil Vox posted:

Definitely not, even clustered you'd need at least 5x the amount of subwoofers

Interesting! Do the mids and highs have to scale up at the same rate, or is it mostly bass getting absorbed by the audience?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I need to share this with someone else who would wonder along with me what led to this decision. It was set up this way yesterday, and it's still like this for day 2.

The right side is set up the same way: two tall chairs with a speaker on them and an unusued tripod stand behind them. Blocking a marked exit door. :shrug:

cruft fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 20, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Line Array speakers are just freaking amazing. I'm back from the first outdoor event I've ever tried to run with my new LD MAUI 5 systems. I brought both speakers, but took the second one down after an audio check revealed I didn't need it. Here's the crowd, taken from about where the speaker was:

(The dancers were on the stage earlier.)

Before you run out and buy this for your next event, know that I run sound for Celtic festivals and Renaissance fairs. At this type of performance, people want to hang out with their pals and chat with whoever they're sitting next to, with only one or two moments that the music is loud enough to demand everyone's attention. I haven't done enough different types of outdoor events to have a feel for whether one speaker would be enough for a larger crowd at the venue in the photograph, but I'm pretty confident that two would.

Either way, I'm impressed with how well this setup is able to project, and it's just incredibly easy to carry around and set up. I wound up buying six of these for work, where we teach classes and run hacking competitions, because any idiot on my staff can figure out how to put it together, and the feedback suppression means they can even be trusted to operate a mic.

If you're a small group, or especially a one-musician operation, and you can afford it, I think this is absolutely the type of system you should get, and you probably only need one. And I even (barely) qualify as a professional sound technician!

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 13, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Hi. Can I hang out in this thread? I mix live sports for 3-letter TV networks.

Please don’t dox me.

Wow, that's a pretty tiny mixer you've got there, but I guess if it's working for you, that's great!

e: so it's clear I'm joking, here's what I use most lately:

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 26, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

That’s a Calrec Apollo. It rules.

Nothing else has the flexibility and routing capacity I need for a big show. Here’s the one that runs the Oscars broadcast every year. I filled both rows of top-surface faders for a golf event.

Yeah but did you see the one at the superbowl?

Okay seriously though, how do you arrange your channels to keep track of everything?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Forgot to post the other day when I learned what it sounds like in the audience when someone plugs an iPad playing "Thriller" into a balanced mono jack.

Well, I almost learned. It was hard to hear over the prima donna dance teacher wailing loudly about how the dance was ruined.

In related news, apparently I'm on call now for future county-government-run events that have amplified sound.

(e: it sounds like almost entirely mp3 encoding artifacts put through reverb)

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 31, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Gramps posted:

I posted a soundguy story to Tiktok today and thought some of you might enjoy it.

https://www.tiktok.com/@grampageoff/video/7215213700448259370?lang=en

D'aww :love:

Relatable!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Gramps posted:

Anyone who runs sound long enough is gonna have stories almost exactly like this one, probably a lot of them.

The mistakes and oopsies are what give my gigs that personal touch!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Gramps posted:

Nothing like running a dj playlist at a wedding off of an Ipod and accidentally skipping to a different song when loving with your playlist while Journey is playing and the whole wedding is singin' and dancin'. There's a reason I'm not a DJ and will never work another wedding again.

Friend, there are hundreds of other reasons.

I think it's probably significant that most of the wedding DJ's I've seen are full of themselves. The crushing guilt of messing up during someone's wedding reception (no, *multiple* réceptions) still keeps me up at night.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This lady I'm helping next weekend keeps telling me she's getting help from an "experienced DJ friend" and it's starting to make me really nervous about setup taking twice as long as I have to work through the experienced DJ's ego to explain why, no, I disagree that we should do the idiotic thing you want to do.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So I'm at the conference and I'm discovering that we didn't bring one. single. mixer.

We do have six powered speakers, though. And only three inputs...

In closing, if you see a post on some other audio engineering forum saying "lol what idiot set this up", it's me. I'm the idiot.

cruft fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I just learned the sound booth for this thing next weekend is a looooong way away from the stage, and they probably don't have a house intercom system.

Anybody in the live sound thread have advice about how I can keep the stage manager in contact with the sound booth at the back of the house? The best idea I've had so far is walkie talkies and headsets. I tried an app with an on-premises server at last year's performance (different venue), but the cell phone app didn't get loud enough, and I'm not super comfortable relying on wifi. I'm a wires kind of guy.