Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Hi, my band is planning to start playing live this summer and I have a few questions about metronome tracks and starting sound effects. I'm the drummer, so I think I should be the one controlling this stuff.

Basically we'd like to always have a metronome track playing (at least in my ears, the others don't really need it if I have it) and maybe cue up some sound effects (this part is hazy still).

Right now, we practice with a metronome in my ears - we have 7 songs, they all have different tempos but the tempo within a song doesn't change. What I do is just have projects set up in Logic for each track and switch projects between each song - it works for practicing, but I'm going to need a more dynamic solution for live.

I thought about doing one big track that contains all the tempo switches and count-ins for each song linearly; I could just start the track and follow it all the way to the end but I can see problems arising like - how to make sure I leave enough room between each song? What if I make a mistake and miss the count-in? That kind of stuff.

I do have a midi controller, so I'm thinking maybe I could set it up where a pad just switches to the "next" project? Or a pad sets the metronome to something else?

Or I guess I could buy an external metronome unit thingy and dial it in myself between songs. Saves the hassle of carrying a computer around, with all the risks that entails. However I'd also like to have the possibility of mapping my pads to a couple of sound effects, which a computer would be nice for.

Basically how do the big boys do it? Any resource/ pointers on that? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

CaptainViolence posted:

I've never actually gone through with it, but the answer I got when I had a similar question was to use MainStage. It's been a while since I checked it out, but it seemed like exactly what I was looking for and from what I remember it seems like it was built to handle the stuff you're talking about. Hopefully someone else who's actually used it will have a more in-depth explanation, but if not I bet there are tutorials on YouTube or something. It's definitely used in pro settings, too—I remember seeing a video about the setup for one of Nine Inch Nails' tours and a bunch of stuff they did was routed through laptops running MainStage (although they had the mixer keeping an eye on those instead of the drummer).

That's interesting, I looked at a couple videos and it seems really powerful. Thanks for the suggestion!