Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

-snip-

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So, I'm nickle and diming my way into a new PA system for my band. We're still pretty small-time, at the moment. But, as I have taken it upon myself to handle the PA system, our preparedness is kinda flying all over the place.

Currently, I have in my possession:
1x Yamaha EMX312SC Powered Mixer, with two 300 watt amps
2x Carvin 1584 Passive Speakers, two-way including a 15" and 8" driver, rated at 400w/8ohm, to be used as mains (they're big)
1x Peavey M112 Floor Monitor, 15" inch driver and 3" tweeter, rated at 65w/8ohm, to be followed by any monitors my bandmates happen to add on (unlikely)

I have some concerns about scaling power, and was curious if someone here could just take me on another crash course through how power is divided in series and what to watch out for. Obviously, at this moment, if I were to run the monitor, I would have to keep it on its own individual chain and run things very low to avoid blowing the coil. However, 300 watts split between two towers rated at 400 watts peak doesn't seem like it would put out very much, so I would have to forgo the monitor and amplify each Carvin individually. 300 watts may be overkill, if I'm not mistaken, unless we are playing a larger venue or outside. But, I also don't want to undercut the amplifier, itself.

There is a strong possibility I may try to trade either the mixer or the speakers with my bar (not a venue, just a donor setup for public address), which I believe is made up of a Yamaha mixer, QSC power amplifier of unknown wattage and a pair of TOA 380SEs.

Bottom line, if anyone could help me to put the pieces together in my head to just confirm that I am going in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

E: bar speakers identified as 1980’s TOA 380SE, intended for electronic music reproduction with full-range, 3-way and bi-amp options, 360w/8ohms, 15” driver and horn.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 19, 2020