Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

cruft posted:

This is two LD MAUI44s, and eight (8) powered monitors, on a 20 foot by 10 foot stage. They also had a 32-channer Heath Allen mixer just to the right of the stage there, and six wireless mics. I don't set up for large venues but I feel like this could have driven a couple football fields with 500-800 people.

Definitely not, even clustered you'd need at least 5x the amount of subwoofers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

cruft posted:

Interesting! Do the mids and highs have to scale up at the same rate, or is it mostly bass getting absorbed by the audience?

It takes a lot less energy for the highs so usually you can get away with only a couple highs assuming you can get the coverage angles. A good rule of thumb is 2:1 subs to tops. At least with average direct radiators. Increase the sub to 3:1 or 4:1 if bass heavy dance music. If it's speech then 1:1 if even that maybe a kick bin.

I've never seen that column array but it probably does a good job covering a wide area evenly but might suffer with kick/punch feeling (100-200hz) because of the small drivers. I could be wrong though b/c the area of all those tiny drivers is probably more than a dual 15, just was not impressed at all by a Bose unit similar to it. I think column arrays used to be all the rage before the 90s but it's easier to get the spl by point source or line arrays now.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Also does anyone know what's with this "paraflex" subwoofer hype all of a sudden? I get a culty vibe like the BFM gang. Seems like a band pass type design? Or a hybrid horn like the Cubo.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a good primer out there for the science of speaker cabinet construction? It's something I've always been fascinated by, and should probably know more about (given my penchant for Drum & Bass, and who knows maybe I could leverage some of that into some soundguy gigs with the local systems). I get the seat-of-the-pants about ported cabs and constructive interference at a certain frequency, but the actual on-paper physics stuff has always eluded me a bit, as well as why you would want a volume bump to be at a certain frequency - again, seat-of-the-pants my guess is that it's all to taste, and that's why 'soundsystem culture' is as much about experiencing different rigs as it is about the music. But I don't know, it's something I'd love to learn more about though.

Are you looking to construct cabinets or to learn the physics of cabinets?

I know very little of the science but spend enough time around rigs and you start to recognize the pros/cons and qualities of the different designs. I personally don't see much use in designing from scratch as there's plenty of plans out there for all the applications I need (especially in pro audio / big SPL). I wouldn't know where to start with a blank design but it is nice to be familiar with say Hornresp or some other software if only too see response curves of other drivers. Some plans may use drivers that are hard to get domestically. NOT ALL 18" WOOFERS ARE THE SAME, or any size for that matter, learn T&S specs and what they mean, cabinets are very often designed with only a few compatible woofers. Manufactures of drivers will often include a suggested volume (space dimension) for cabinets so I guess I would start there if I was going from scratch.

You need space, but as far as tools not much: Table saw with a good fence, drill/driver, jigsaw (you can do perfect circles with it trust), the best carpenter square you can get (bonus if metric, many plans are in mm), and LOTS of clamps.

Great info, forum, faq, and a few plans that are rock solid here:
https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=home

If you're venturing into cabinet construction first look at: What is your goal? A couple of bins for a small bar? A gym sized dancefloor rave? A psy-trance bass music forest party? Get your needs/wants together first. Maybe digging to ~28hz is most important, maybe efficiency, maybe weight or size/packing, how many people can you depend on to help move, carry, or set up boxes, does appearances matter (the more corporate you get the more it needs to be a line array) and obviously cost$ of the drivers, amps, processing, cables ect.

I built a fully horn loaded system and a few basic reflex cabs with very little prior carpentry skill. Soundqualitywise homebuilt designs (can) poo poo all over JBL, QSC, Yamaha ect big brand boxes. Pre pandemic home built subs were still the way to go if you weren't loaded with cash but for tops it was almost as cost effective to find some old EAW, Turbosound (the old brand not whoever is using the name now), Meyer, ect, I have no idea if that's still true. There's a ton of hype right now for these quarterwave / paraflex / 6th order subs. I personally shy away from the sound of bandpass subs but there's a lot of plans/info at the moment.

more good links:
https://www.freespeakerplans.com/
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/forums/-/list#loudspeakers.22
I'd recommend Parts Express for cabinet supplies and woofers

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Inexpensive limiter solution for a karaoke setup?

A guy I know runs a weekly karaoke night at a local bar where he works, and as usual he's messaging me because he needs help with something audio-related.

They have the most basic of setups; a small 4-input mixer with two mics and a laptop running YouTube karaoke instrumentals. We've talked about upgrading the mixer to one with some onboard effects so he can apply limiting to the mic and worry less about turning up or down mic levels.

I feel like a better mixer is probably out of their budget though; last time they 'consulted' me about this stuff they just ended up buying the 4in mixer (and some cheap SM58 clones) even though I recommended something larger.

Would a guitar limiter pedal through some XLR/TRS adaptors be an absolutely stupid janky thing to do in this situation? Are there other options I haven't considered? Thanks.

Find a used DBX compressor 166X or 266X model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah it would need a preamp or line; decent units tho like the ak47 or technics 1200 of compressors. That ART interface would prolly be best solution and less knobs to mess up.