Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Any of you goons do union work? I passed the IATSE Local 1 (NYC) apprentice exam and am waiting for my number to get called up in about a year. Just curious as to if any of you guys got into the industry this way and what I should expect out of it. I've done some live sound work in much smaller settings like local bars and venues and it's really what I'm looking to specialize in if at all possible. I picked up a few calls last year mostly doing load ins/outs and one electrics call for Alicia Keys and I'm taking some extra vacation time from my day job to head to the replacement room during NY fashion week to try to get my foot in the door a little more. It seems that audio work is hard to come by around here and getting into that side of the industry is drat hard if you don't have connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

You really can’t go wrong with the zoom products. I had an h2n for a long time for sampling/field recording that withstood a ton of abuse and kept on ticking.

If you’re on a budget I’d check Craigslist for some of the older Tascam stuff that records to DAT. The tape is dirt cheap, a ton of them have stereo XLR in and they’re built pretty well. You can get one for a song. It’ll be bigger than the zoom but you’ll get out for under half the price..