Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fredflonston
Jan 29, 2011

I have question that risks me sounding incredibly noobile but -

We want to run a two man outfit (guitar/bass) sans drummer and I want to use ableton to run drum tracks and maybe a synth track to the FOH from a Tascam US -16x08 via a few of its 8 line outs. So I just write up the tracks for kicks/snares/OH separately, route em through to specific outs on the interface and from there hand the FOH a few line outs as if they were just mics?

Basically how would you, as the FOH, prefer this to happen?
XLR or balanced 1/4-inch?
Would we/you benefit from further separation of tracks? (hats/cymbals/aux percussion, etc)
Could we also run the vocals through the interface on stage for dumbass effects the FOH board may not have or would we have gain-staging issue?
Do I want one of these or would that be redundant in this case?

We are definitely not attempting to mix anything from the stage/we realize that is asinine. Also we obviously aren't going to be playing coachella so imagine we're working with the sound bloke at the local bar.

edit: I assume I would use the stage snake if they have one but curious about sending line-level to the thing?

Fredflonston fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredflonston
Jan 29, 2011

i am kiss u now posted:

These are good questions and pretty easy to answer...

I think this clears up everything quite nicely. Honestly I doubt we'll use any kind of over-the-top vocal processing but I wanted to ask for future case. I read somewhere that you can send the house a dry mic single first, then they give us a return of that line that we run through a processor and then give them a wet single back. So I guess this would end in them having each a wet and dry vocal track to mix to taste. This seems like a kind of round-a-bout way to "Y" the signal where I suppose you could just use a specific piece of hardware/cable instead.

Thanks btw!