Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Hello thread. I'd like to get a setup for small gigs. The immediate goal is to have an indoor PA setup for basic DJ functions, e.g. playlists at a wedding straight from a laptop. I'll also need parts for a microphone, both for basic announcements and to mic up a singular guitar player.

What experience I have tells me I need roughly the following:

Shure SM 58 or equivalent
Simple 1x2 DI box with USB 2.0
A pair of speakers
Mic stand
3 25ft 1/4 line cables
Xlr cable
Some sort of solution for outputting stereo to the speakers

Intuition tells me that I probably don’t need much more than 12” speakers, and my stereo output and DI box solution are probably a 2 birds with one stone problem with like a scarlet io2 or something. Anything I’m missing? Should I invest in somethingly nicer? Any nice to haves for basic sound gigs like this I should consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Never used an analog mixer like that. The price is perfect too.

Even the mackie speakers you listed are hideously expensive. Would you say that having 1000+ watt speakers are really essential even for smaller < 200 gigs like what you’re saying?

E: a cursory look on cL shows used 600 for a pair which is much more reasonable. Guess I’ll nut up for the sake of having gear that’s durable and flexible.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 12, 2017

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You have a preferred playlist you run them through to test range? And I’m unfamiliar with the word crossover, what is that?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Trip report: gig went great, had people coming up to me and saying that they were glad their wife wasn’t there or she would wish they had live music at THEIR wedding. Pro fx box and a pair of the mackies were perfect. Thanks for the advice 🙏

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Musicians? Flaky?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
God forbid you have standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
A preamp is pretty unavoidable. A small mic is pretty doable though.