Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
My band is looking into getting an IEM setup after having dealt with a series of gigs where the house monitors have been complete poo poo. However, as the resident gear dude and the only one who's played in live bands before, they're looking to me for some advice and I have absolutely no clue what to look for, what we'll need to modify in our setup, and whatever else might be pitfalls for a newbie.

As far as setups, we're usually running off of house mixers, but have a rebuilt 16-channel mixer for when we need to schlep all of our own gear. Set-up is 2 guitarists, bassist, drummer, 2 back-up mics for a guitarist and the bassist (bass and baritone respectively) and female vocalist (mezzo-soprano) with cabs and drums all mic'd, along with occasional keys when a song calls for it. Rack set-up has compression and a cheap rack tuner, with room for expansion. General "sound" varies from cover gigs doing classic rock and blues to originals, which veer closer to stoner rock and rockabilly. Bass is usually prominent in the mix.

Current monitor issues/things we want to change are: keeping the drummer on track in more aggressive parts, getting the vocalist through more clearly (on-stage has been so bad at times we have hand gestures for a couple noisy numbers with jamming bits in them), and just keeping things consistent from gig to gig. I know some of these things are from bad levels, so any recommendations for getting things dialed in would also be helpful so we can manage things when we're lacking an engineer.

Can't quite nail a budget from everyone else, but we're likely around 400-1000, given how much folks are willing to kick in and recommendations to the bare basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

TTerrible posted:

How many monitor mixes do you currently have?
How many monitor mixes do you want?
How many aux sends does your current mixer have (what model is it?)
Do you want these IEMs to be RF or are you ok with having wired packs on stage?

Single monitor mix.
Hopefully 2, though even better clarity on a single mix would help.
No idea on model - it was a free piece of junk we rebuilt, and it's sitting with the bassist right now. I believe two, though I could easily be wrong.
We're good with wired or RF, as we're not super-exciting on stage apart from singer-shenanigans.

Seeing as our mixer is also a weird kludgy thing, would it be smarter to replace it before looking into IEM gear so we have a higher-quality board for us and other terrible bands to utilize at the various generator-in-the-woods-with-kegs shows that seem to be common enough up in my neck of the world?