Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

So I need a PA for playing small bars. It would mainly be used for vocals and possibly some drums like the kick. Right now I’ve been looking at either a Yamaha or Mackie 8-12 XLR input mixer and a couple of QSC K12’s. Problem with that is cost, once I get that I’m gonna need speaker stands cables and poo poo and that will add even more. If I buy all brand new I’m looking at like 2500$ possibly. More or less what I’m asking is do I need that much? I don’t want to buy crap but some of those all in one packages around 1000$ are a bit tempting. I’m assuming active speakers and an unpowered mixer are the way to go? Some of those fuckers that all fold up into one unit seem pretty convenient though.

Right now it’s just the three of us, bass, drums, and guitar and we’re just getting started. But I’d like to be prepared for more people or bigger shows in the future also. You never know what’s gonna happen right? We’re actively searching for another guitar player and some keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lol wow never mind, amazing how quickly a band can fall apart. Looks like I’m starting over again from scratch. Maybe I’ll start trying to do some solo poo poo. Wife will be happy I don’t need a PA anymore. I guess that’s something.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah loving bass player man. It’s karma loving me on this one. The drummer kicked our old bass player out cause he was bad with pills and was always so hosed up that he was forgetting poo poo. We had a new guy lined up before we kicked this guy and the new guy just hosed us and quit before his first practice. And we asked him in the first place if he was willing to replace this other guy and he said yes. Then after 2 weeks of telling us he was working on the set list he called 20 min before practice and said he didn’t wanna do it anymore. Now drug addict bass guy hates us for booting him and we’re back to just drums and guitar. I mean in the long run dude was gonna be a problem but we coulda limped along and kept doing open mics and poo poo until we filled out the band with more people. I feel like an rear end in a top hat lol.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah for sure, it’s the right call in the long run. I just let myself get too hyped up that we were gonna start really putting some work in to start getting paid to play music again. I always loved the fact that after gigging for the first year with my old band I had basically paid myself back for all the gear I bought up to that point.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Had a tryout this weekend with a new guitar player and bass player. They had a full practice setup with an electronic drum kit and an amp so we just went there with a guitar and some drumsticks. Dude had a full PA in his basement but they were all turned down so low that it was like we were whispering to each other. loving amp was a peavy and sounded shrill as gently caress, no matter what I did to the eq I couldn’t get it to not sound like I was playing through a smoke detector. I’ve never played so quietly in my life and the practice didn’t go very well. It wasn’t god awful but I didn’t leave with the excitement I usually feel after a righteous jam session. I thought about this thread title and it really rang true. If they aren’t willing to crank the volume there is probably a reason for it.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

If the neighbors aren't calling the cops on you, you aren't doing it right.

This is why I no longer live in an apartment.

Lol right? I remember shopping for my house and planning on where I was gonna put the jam room vs proximity to my neighbors houses. Can’t just buy anywhere or anything when you plan on having drums and amps going at all hours of the night.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

So I found 2 used QSC k12’s for 1000$ for the pair in great condition. Of course I still have no band to use it with but whatever I regret nothing, they sound amazing with just a 58 hooked directly up to them. So I am going to need a small mixer to really get the most out of these. Any recommendations? I doubt I need anything too crazy, at the moment it would be more for vocals than anything else. But I would like to future proof a bit and get something with enough inputs for my imaginary future band.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

That’s really awesome to hear, I’m gonna have to tell my wife that so I can try and rationalize the speaker purchase a bit more.

I can’t see really needing more than 8-10 inputs. In my previous band we mostly played local bars to small crowds, the only thing we ever mic’d aside from the vocals was the kick drum. My drummer buddy has a drum mic set and a small mixer for them that I can use to reduce that from 5 inputs to 2 if I’m running them stereo. I doubt I’ll need to mic any guitar or bass amps ever at this point, but with 8-10 inputs the option would be there if I needed it. Overall I could probably buy something super cheap and just use the speakers for vocals and be set for life, but 8-10 would give me a ton of flexibility just in case I exceed my expectations.

Who knows though, I may think that’s plenty and be completely wrong. My old singer was the sound guy and dealt with all that stuff. So I’m really open to hearing advice in general about it. I knew the speakers would be solid and they were a good buy, but I don’t know much about mixers and may not be considering all angles here. Also who knows, once I have a PA I may end up using it for more than just “my” band.

Edit: Budget probably 500-1000, but that’s pretty flexible cause I don’t need it right away.

Harton fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 17, 2018

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I remember originally looking at that exact yahama board and was comparing it to a similar mackie and leaning towards the yahama, good to have a recommendation between the two. That’s where my 500$ low point comes in, but this x32 sounds pretty interesting. Price ain’t much of an issue cause I won’t be really needing it until I either have a band or have learned enough covers on the acoustic that I can play out on my own. Which could take a while, until then just plugging the mic into the speakers will work for practicing in the basement.

I laughed to myself earlier when I read your post about playing 800 seat rooms and I got these shits sitting in my bedroom sized jam room in my basement. Somehow the wife and 2 year old can sleep while I’m down here singing into the mic and playing the electric. I haven’t tried it since I got the new speakers though. Gonna be interesting, I was singing out of my Roland acoustic amp before getting these baby’s. Quite the difference, on the low end especially. Hopefully I don’t give her more reasons to regret my purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah they definitely have that option to drop the low end. Good call on that one! Didn’t even occur to me.