Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I've never actually gone through with it, but the answer I got when I had a similar question was to use MainStage. It's been a while since I checked it out, but it seemed like exactly what I was looking for and from what I remember it seems like it was built to handle the stuff you're talking about. Hopefully someone else who's actually used it will have a more in-depth explanation, but if not I bet there are tutorials on YouTube or something. It's definitely used in pro settings, too—I remember seeing a video about the setup for one of Nine Inch Nails' tours and a bunch of stuff they did was routed through laptops running MainStage (although they had the mixer keeping an eye on those instead of the drummer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i mostly do post, but i measure impulse responses to calibrate a space whenever i set up a smaller studio. once you have that you can apply a global eq curve to correct for any resonances or cancelations happening. i've never heard of it being used in a live room, but that's cool! (if that's what it is, i mean)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yep! i have a set of IFBs i use when i do location sound for movies, and it's one Tx for two Rx. transmitter sits in my bag, scriptie and director each get a headset so they can hear dialogue. i've also used them as camera hops. theoretically you can have as many recievers as you want--i only work small stuff as a side hustle so i only have the two, but a buddy of mine has a big kit with 16 because he does commercials and those usually have a bunch of folks from the ad agency that want them.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 9, 2024