Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Welcome to the thread for discussing the Pocket Monsters Sun and Moon anime! After like half a year from first airing the thread's finally here! For you to post in!

I can't be arsed to write up a plot summary since everyone should know what Pokemon is by now so I'll just go over the major differences in this new season:
  • Instead of traveling around on a more sprawling adventure, this time around the story is more focused on the adventures of going to school! Yeah it's a flimsy excuse just to hit the ever popular school anime setting and to have a wider cast of characters readily available, but it's fine. None of that gets rid of the heart of Pokemon's appeal of selling the audience on how cute/cool the various Pokemon are and how absolutely fun the characters bouncing off each other get in this show.
  • The new gameplay gimmick in this generation are Z-Moves where a trainer syncs up with their Pokemon to unleash The Nuclear Option on whatever poor fool is their target. Also you gotta strike a cool pose to activate it.
  • The animation and new art style is completely fine and is actually good as heck. In fact, the general level of quality and action is loads higher than even the previous Pokemon XYZ season which was considered the best animated the series has been.
  • On top of that, the stupid face tech has been vastly improved this season.
  • Oak's Pokemon puns Do Not Work in the English dub.
yeah that's pretty much all the significant changes from the previous seasons, everything else is basically the same old formula.

Meet the characters:

Ash (Satoshi): The main character. Has chronic ten-years-old syndrome, it's very tragic. Fortunately, Pokemon is (usually) not a tragic show so it's not a problem!

Pikachu (Pikachu): The electric mouse who has accompanied Ash through his entire journey.

Kiawe (Kaki): Watch out, here comes best boy.

Lillie (Lilie): The only reason I included her in the OP before I lost steam was to just link this.

Bewear (Kiteruguma): The true final boss

There's like a billion other characters and I'm too tired to write up a stupid little thing about them and take meme screenshots so I'll do the rest later. It's not like the show doesn't introduce the characters really well anyways.

Rules:
  • The english dub is obviously way behind the japanese dub. I don't know the general split amongst goons but I'm going to tentatively assume most are watching the japanese version. Therefore, spoiler tags should typically be reserved for the latest japanese episode, if used at all. It's a kids show through and through though so really, don't have a huge fit over untagged spoilers Ash loses in the finals of the Alolan Pokemon League
  • Don't have a nerd attack over people using either the English or Japanese names for characters and Pokemon. It's not like the subs can agree on any unified idea behind this anyways so whatever. There's only like 800 Pokemon anyways, just learn all their names twice it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i'm so proud of yung rock wanner finally figuring out how to pelt his trainer with rocks, truly, this scene was 'for the win'
https://track5.mixtape.moe/ldqwgs.webm

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

OnimaruXLR posted:

did they do a hard reset on Ash and Pikachu again like at the beginning of X/Y?

Also, what are those things on Ash's face? They're kinda where lines that indicate cheeks would be on anyone else, but they're lightning bolt shaped, and no other character has them. Did... did Pikachu brand him?

yes

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Julias posted:

Best Gen 2 Starter :hf:

I'm not really watching the show anymore, but I do appreciate the clips I've seen online; this show is stylish as heck and looks so good when animated compared to previous seasons. I am interested to see how they'll adapt the overarching plot of the Sun/Moon games though, since it's just been so different from the traditional formula

plotwise it hasn't really moved further than ash beating tapu koko yet, but some of the standalone episodes (well, I guess the vast majority of them are this at this point) namely the most recent Litten and Stoutland episode have been very good. The one mentioned especially so, definitely did not expect that level of this tone to show up in Pokemon and it had a real good Meowth segment.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

oh gently caress
https://twitter.com/Disgaeamad/status/865184278057033729

• Locked thread