Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

widespread posted:

Just add the Nail Gun into both and Quake Champs can die in a fire probably.

Like, why did we need these skins to have gameplay changes again
why do you want the gameplay to be exactly the same as games that already exist
do you just wanna pay repeatedly for the same thing?

(also again, plasma is better and cooler than nailgun :mad: it looks dope instead of wimpy, you can climb with it, easier to judge how to lead with more visible projectiles
e: and also it does more damage)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

IronicDongz posted:

There's already a classic mode confirmed. But also, like... quake live and reflex arena already exist, why wouldn't you just play those if you're not interested in something with different stuff than classic quake?

I like the updated graphics and the revamped maps, the game feels alright and I still do play Quake 2 & 3 sometimes, but lots of other people do too and are better at it than me. At least in this I can own some noobs again like its 1999. :c00l:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

IronicDongz posted:

why do you want the gameplay to be exactly the same as games that already exist
do you just wanna pay repeatedly for the same thing?

(also again, plasma is better and cooler than nailgun :mad: )

I dunno, something something reviving arena shooters something something marketing. Probably could have done a bit better, but as it stands with how you get the different people? Yeah, nah, it just seems sketch as heck to me. In fact, THAT's probably my no-sell point right there.

(also if u wanted plasma go play doom this is quake we use nail guns here

e: oh there's functionality with it nvm)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ahhpple posted:

Oh yeah the new duel mode kinda sucks. In the classic duel modes it's not a big deal to be down 3 frags because there's usually time to make a comeback. If you're down 3 frags in quake champions you've lost a round. I guess they changed things because it's easier for new players to go 0-6 in 3 minutes than 0-30 in 10 minutes but all the experienced players I know think it's lame. There used to be a variant on duel mode called Hooneymode which was just like a regular duel except when someone got a frag all the items and players respawned (you switched spawns every frag). I always thought that mode was good for new players because they get a clean slate every frag and will eventually get some items. Meanwhile experienced players are okay with it because it still allows for comebacks.

oh yeah i forgot to say that if there's no classic duel mode then the game is actually unredeemable trash

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

widespread posted:

(also if u wanted plasma go play doom this is quake we use nail guns here
no we've actually used plasma rifle ever since quake 3 arena, which is the backbone of quake multiplayer

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

no we've actually used plasma rifle ever since quake 3 arena, which is the backbone of quake multiplayer

I apologize I just like the idea of firing nails over firing plasma balls, please forgive my inexperienced-mess.

But other than that, hopefully Quake Live is alive enough. Or what's it called, Reflex Arena?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

Just add the Nail Gun into both and Quake Champs can die in a fire probably.

Like, why did we need these skins to have gameplay changes again

Skins don't have gameplay changes though

Pomp posted:

oh yeah i forgot to say that if there's no classic duel mode then the game is actually unredeemable trash

IronicDongz posted:

There's already a classic mode confirmed. But also, like... quake live and reflex arena already exist, why wouldn't you just play those if you're not interested in something with different stuff than classic quake?

You must think 99% of videogames are unredeemable trash, and you must also be great at parties :rolleyes:

Personally I think having a new graphics quake live would be fine, but I think this game can be that and have characters too and its not worth throwing a fit over :shrug: The characters don't make that big of a difference, play the beta, its not worth crying over. Its fun. Its way better than COD or Overwatch or anything like that, it feels really fast and good, and there's different modes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 14, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

widespread posted:

I apologize I just like the idea of firing nails over firing plasma balls, please forgive my inexperienced-mess.

But other than that, hopefully Quake Live is alive enough. Or what's it called, Reflex Arena?
Quake Live has enough servers with people on that you ought to be able to find one with good ping. I've been able to find games in Reflex but it's definitely easier to find 1v1s than other gamemodes.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

widespread posted:

I dunno, something something reviving arena shooters something something marketing. Probably could have done a bit better, but as it stands with how you get the different people? Yeah, nah, it just seems sketch as heck to me. In fact, THAT's probably my no-sell point right there.

How you get them is fair for a f2p game.

Costs 5000 of the funbucks to rent a champ for 24 hours. You can earn that in just a couple matches, or if you do the daily reward challenges you can earn it in 1 match easy. Also everyone gets Ranger permanently for free and he's really drat good.

You can also spend real money to unlock champs permanently or just buy the game and get all the champs permanently.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

For me, I consider the characters "skins" and whatever the skins are "cosmetics". But yeah, I prob should say the characters have gameplay changes. Sounds nice and all, but it's just a bit worrying since you'd need a lot of the free currency to rent them with the real world money option unlocking them permanently. And that's not even getting into the song-and-dance routine of "this is OP/this is poo poo" stuff.

IronicDongz posted:

Quake Live has enough servers with people on that you ought to be able to find one with good ping. I've been able to find games in Reflex but it's definitely easier to find 1v1s than other gamemodes.

I think I did try Quake Live but I was aiming for low latencies and wound up in some 5v5 no respawn server.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Galena is only gonna see play in a compete squad who coordinates to move as one as a murder ball and drops a totem after each fight. As a solo queue pick she'll be like any other healer picked solo in a team game hot trash

I really liked playing Galena personally as a solo queuer because it means I could get a free +25 or whatever anytime I needed it. Same reason I liked Anarki because it was a free 100% heal every ~20s, so basically once per life for me because I suck. As long as nobody targets or notices it specifically, it just kinda sits there indefinitely it seems. It also appears through the walls when you look around so I guess you and teammates can roll up on it and know it's there without having to communicate that much.

widespread posted:

I think I did try Quake Live but I was aiming for low latencies and wound up in some 5v5 no respawn server.

Use this site to find servers: http://ql.syncore.org/ -- it's indispensible imo.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 14, 2017

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

As Scalebearer I jumped down from the mega on Blood Covenant right onto a Ranger's head, super marioing him to death. It did like 150 damage from that distance

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

For me, I consider the characters "skins" and whatever the skins are "cosmetics". But yeah, I prob should say the characters have gameplay changes. Sounds nice and all, but it's just a bit worrying since you'd need a lot of the free currency to rent them with the real world money option unlocking them permanently. And that's not even getting into the song-and-dance routine of "this is OP/this is poo poo" stuff.

All the base characters are free, and I have to hope that's the intention for the final game too. I think the point of renting characters is to have NEW DLC characters, like Rainbow Six Siege, which you can purchase for $5 or you can unlock with grinding. Its a pretty successful business scheme. Siege doesn't even give you the option to rent and I don't mind.

If you have to grind to unlock each champion that'll straight up ruin the game. But as long as all the "base" champions can be unlocked free/instantly/quickly, then it doesn't really matter at all.

If one character becomes OP everybody'll use that character because there are no class limits, this isn't Overwatch. If everybody wants to play Visor, everybody can play Visor.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

You must think 99% of videogames are unredeemable trash, and you must also be great at parties :rolleyes:

Personally I think having a new graphics quake live would be fine, but I think this game can be that and have characters too and its not worth throwing a fit over :shrug: The characters don't make that big of a difference, play the beta, its not worth crying over. Its fun. Its way better than COD or Overwatch or anything like that, it feels really fast and good, and there's different modes.

duel is the only way I enjoy playing arena shooters and neo-duel is loving trash.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Personally I only like to do Clan Arena-style stuff when I play these games. Duel is just too one-sided for me for it to be fun and I'm not willing to bang my head against that wall in order to ride that learning curve.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

All the base characters are free, and I have to hope that's the intention for the final game too. I think the point of renting characters is to have NEW DLC characters, like Rainbow Six Siege, which you can purchase for $5 or you can unlock with grinding. Its a pretty successful business scheme. Siege doesn't even give you the option to rent and I don't mind.

If you have to grind to unlock each champion that'll straight up ruin the game. But as long as all the "base" champions can be unlocked free/instantly/quickly, then it doesn't really matter at all.

If one character becomes OP everybody'll use that character because there are no class limits, this isn't Overwatch. If everybody wants to play Visor, everybody can play Visor.

You can't buy characters at all with the free currency. You can only rent them.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

If everybody wants to play Visor, everybody can play Visor.

Huh? I just booted up the game for the first time and I can only use the ranger dude. The others are all locked unless I pay 5000 funbucks to rent them for 24 hours.

Game seems fun, but the best ping I can get is 200 which ruins it a bit. Yet another game that decides to put its Asian servers in Seoul, which means lovely pings for a large chunk of Asia.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Right. Which doesn't matter if all the base characters are free. :v:

I mean I guess that sucks if there's DLC characters and you can't unlock them with grinding :shrug:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Right. Which doesn't matter if all the base characters are free. :v:

I mean I guess that sucks if there's DLC characters and you can't unlock them with grinding :shrug:

They're not free. You can only rent them for 24 hours a time, or pay real money to unlock them. Have you even played the game?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Only Ranger, better known as Quakeguy is gonna be free.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

They're not free. You can only rent them for 24 hours a time, or pay real money to unlock them. Have you even played the game?

I have and I can literally play as every character whenever I want. I guess that's a bug? :confused:

I think you're meant to have all the characters. I see people jumping around between them. Maybe you're bugged?

Like I said the game mentions rentals but nothing requires me to rent them, I assumed that was for future DLC characters.

Mordja posted:

Only Ranger, better known as Quakeguy is gonna be free.

Well then burn the whole thing down, that's retarded.

Is the game going to be free2play? If its free2play and you can buy all the characters for $60 then whatever.

If its $60 and you only get Ranger nobody is going to play the game. That can't be right.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes, it's going to be Free2Play, with the one Quakeguy as the only playable character (and the others as 24 hour rentals.) If you buy it, they're all unlocked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

Quake Champions, the latest iteration of the decades-old, fast-paced arena shooter franchise, finally has a business model. Creative director Tim Willits tells Polygon the game will be a free-to-play, but with a for-pay option.

In an interview last week, Willits said that players who want to can play a single character, a Champion named Ranger, for free. Or they can buy the Champion Pack and get unlimited access to Ranger and all his other friends for a fixed price.

Yeah so buy the game and get all the characters, who loving cares?

Or play the game for free and then you get what you pay for.

Quit bitching. Having a free2play option isn't a bad thing, that's cool. Kids can play when they don't have the money to. But any adult with a job can just buy the loving game.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

The base characters are free, guys (but only after you payed $20).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Does this have/is it gonna have a rocket arena mode? I like jumping around shooting people but I don't like having to worry about map control and quad spawns and poo poo

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Put the god drat quad back in the pit on q3dm6. That placement allowed you to attack from all angles making for a really interesting power up spawn point. Instead they moved it to poo poo L corner with a tele. Jesus Christ!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm loving has a 40-100 ping while people teleport all around me.

It's not like I have any illusions about being good at FPS games, but the netcode and hit detection in this game are loving horrible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

I'm loving has a 40-100 ping while people teleport all around me.

It's not like I have any illusions about being good at FPS games, but the netcode and hit detection in this game are loving horrible.

My ping is constantly 25 and the netcode and detection in the game work perfectly, with the exception of the rocket delay which sucks. (But is a known issue)

Fix your lovely computer and stop bitching its the game's fault. I bet you don't know the first goddamned thing about netcode. (Generally a rule, if somebody mentions netcode they're clueless)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I am still irrationally-upset that Shamblers are now confirmed to be covered in fur tbh

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah so buy the game and get all the characters, who loving cares?

Or play the game for free and then you get what you pay for.

Quit bitching. Having a free2play option isn't a bad thing, that's cool. Kids can play when they don't have the money to. But any adult with a job can just buy the loving game.

Welp, now I'm swaying back to considering this game again. I forgot it was F2P and assumed the whole "paid game with micros" thing.

Wonder if it'll be cheaper to buy in bulk than buying what I want.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
This worked for me to make the game look like picmip_5:
http://www.teamfortress.tv/35876/get-quake-like-textures-high-lod-bias-again

I love to spit on people, but Anarki has the most fun movement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thats weird that somehow I got all the characters in the beta but other people only have the free ranger with renting thing. I guess I got flagged for logging in during the closed beta? Or maybe just lucky. Weird.

widespread posted:

Welp, now I'm swaying back to considering this game again. I forgot it was F2P and assumed the whole "paid game with micros" thing.

Wonder if it'll be cheaper to buy in bulk than buying what I want.

Yeah I'm wondering if they sell individual characters how much they'll be, it could actually be cool to just buy like Visor and Sorlag (plus Ranger free) and then play with them forever, if I can get those two for like $15 and skip buying the whole enchilada.

Or if its literally ONLY free2play with renting or you buy the whole thing, I'll just buy the whole thing. That would be dumb but game companies are at times dumb, especially Bethesda. Hopefully not, but I don't mind buying the game like I said before.

But regardless I do like having a free2play mode, and that should help keep the game active and popular and keep a large playerbase, which is important for a multi-only game. Lots of full price multi-only games have flopped recently, so they're probably hedging their bets. Plus goons earlier were talking about how the market for rocket arena style games is a niche now and the COD kids have a barrier to entry; if they can get in for free and try it out, that really helps. They may still get turned off, but it'll get people to try it out. And the more people play, the more people will be willing to stick it out and learn the necessary skills to git gud because their friends are playing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mordja posted:

You get so much free currency you can rent whatever you want forever though.

Or just buy the characters you want and probably pay considerably less than buying a full game

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yup. This is an informative post. A+ for successful anger management.

Will be nice to see how the game plays when it's not a stress test.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

My ping is constantly 25 and the netcode and detection in the game work perfectly, with the exception of the rocket delay which sucks. (But is a known issue)

Fix your lovely computer and stop bitching its the game's fault. I bet you don't know the first goddamned thing about netcode. (Generally a rule, if somebody mentions netcode they're clueless)

Did quake champions save your mothers life or something?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Zaphod42 posted:

I have and I can literally play as every character whenever I want. I guess that's a bug? :confused:

I think you're meant to have all the characters. I see people jumping around between them. Maybe you're bugged?

According to the patch notes, if you were in the closed beta BEFORE this weekend, you will have everyone unlocked. If you are new to the beta starting this weekend, you start with Ranger and enough bucks to rent two other characters for 24 hours (specifically so you can jump into Duel mode).

So yeah, it's a bit odd. I was under the impression you'd get to grind for permanent characters, but apparently rental is the only way to go. As someone has already pointed out, it's super cheap and you get those points really fast if you do average to good in every match.

My biggest complaint about the game is the arbitrary down times all over the place. They even "temporarily" removed the Level Intro Cinematics for the recent update, also according to the patch notes. Temporarily? They should permanently get rid of that, as well as 30 second "connecting" screen for all players to join and the full minute of warmup (which includes 10 seconds of not being able to fire for some reason?). And then on the end of match, remove the really long wait to get back to the main menu.

Nevermind the fact that it doesn't take more than a couple of clicks to see that this is a whole lot of Quake being shoehorned onto something trying a bit too hard to be an Overwatch me-too (yes, I know that Overwatch isn't the first to have ultimates or different heroes or voiced one liners or match making instead of a server browser... but it has ALL of these things that Quake never had, and now Quake has them too). I guess I should include a :bahgawd: in here.

I think I'll stick to F2P, and likely only show up if there's a Clan Arena-like game mode that actually gets a playerbase. Feels like that's a big stretch, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah warmup should only happen while people are joining the match, and then once everybody's in it should start instantly.

Pomp posted:

Did quake champions save your mothers life or something?

I answered him in the same style he posted.

People bitch about netcode all day and its always anecdotal bullshit and usually entirely ignorance.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
As someone with several thousand dollars worth of dota and tf2 hats ( :smuggo: ) I won't put in a penny if it's rental only for f2p players.

Considering even the most garbage or scammiest games don't do rental only for characters, that's a pretty big canary in the gold mine.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Essobie posted:

According to the patch notes, if you were in the closed beta BEFORE this weekend, you will have everyone unlocked. If you are new to the beta starting this weekend, you start with Ranger and enough bucks to rent two other characters for 24 hours (specifically so you can jump into Duel mode).

Wait huh. So basically I skip all that bullshit about paying for the game and just have everyone for free into the main game? Or, since it's still a beta, I assume I'm stuck with Ranger once the full release hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

lovely Wizard posted:

As someone with several thousand dollars worth of dota and tf2 hats ( :smuggo: ) I won't put in a penny if it's rental only for f2p players.

Considering even the most garbage or scammiest games don't do rental only for characters, that's a pretty big canary in the gold mine.

It's a bit concerning, Quake Live struggles to hit big player numbers and it's fully free and amazingly well done, possibly Carmack's last real coding at ID if I'm not mistaken? I like it a lot though but don't play it much anymore because even my Quake friends grew up.

They need to have permanent unlocking of classes or two classes free if they're going to hit a big playerbase. I'd have to see some really next level marketing for this game to get more than just "the Quake playerbase" + 20 or 30 percent random curious people.

And there's no way it'd be 50 or 60 dollars right? Or we'd just all go back to Quake Live.