Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

Wait huh. So basically I skip all that bullshit about paying for the game and just have everyone for free into the main game? Or, since it's still a beta, I assume I'm stuck with Ranger once the full release hits.

I don't think you get the game for free for playing in the closed beta no.

You can play as Ranger for free or you can buy the game like everybody else. :v:

extra stout posted:

It's a bit concerning, Quake Live struggles to hit big player numbers and it's fully free and amazingly well done, possibly Carmack's last real coding at ID if I'm not mistaken? I like it a lot though but don't play it much anymore because even my Quake friends grew up.

Huh? Carmack worked on Rage and all kinds of things after Quake 3 or even Quake Live. He did phone games, ports, Doom 3...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The game is obviously far from perfect and there are other, better Quake games to play, but this is also the first time in a while people have actually given a poo poo about Quake. I can deal with dumb MOBA and Overwatch poo poo if it means an actual player base will stick with the game.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I guess I'm sort of looking at it sort of how I look at Firaxis's XCOM, it's flawed but straddled the ground between the grognards and the broader audience well to result in a game that played in a AAA space and managed to get expansions and sequels, and arguably to a degree brought new interest into turn based strategy games that may have not existed without it.

That said though multiplayer titles seem to make some really player hostile decisions in terms of how they present their offerings these days, ongoing DLC / Season Pass etc etc have eroded the trust of what could be the diehard player base (the grognards). I love the arena days although my poison was UT99 1v1 and dabbling with mapping while I was a teenager. Sort of dropped gaming for a long time due to working at sea since though, so completely out of touch with arena DM, but it'd be nice to have a player base which doesn't have a sheer cliff in terms of matchmaking difficulty.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Man, glad to see the wonderfully non-toxic, non-rear end in a top hat Quake community moved on from QL into this thread apparently. You people need to calm the gently caress down.

Also of interest: The netcode in this game is really lovely (countdown to Zaphod42 making GBS threads a brick starts now). But since I don't know poo poo about poo poo and am an amateur and only speak annecdotally about the non-existant netcode issues, have this reddit post instead: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuakeChampions/comments/6azgkk/psa_upload_is_tied_to_fps_causing_massive_lag/

Reddit User posted:

Currently, the upload bandwidth QC uses is tied directly to your FPS. Meaning QC will congest massive amounts of UPLOAD traffic, potentially leading to people with slow upload speed (below 1 MBps UL, not DL) to heavily lag, warp/teleport & time-out without realizing the actual reason. This could likely be the root cause of current "lag" epidemic. A lot of ISPs provide "asymmetric" services, meaning even though your Internet is "fast", your Upload speed could be much slower than your download and QC needs upload.

If you have ping issues and constant DC/time-out from matches, it could be caused by having a high FPS (leading to massive upload). QC needs ~50 KB/s of upload at +100 FPS. There is currently no option or command to limit Rate, and not having enough bandwidth or hard-limiting the .exe (via Netlimiter, etc.) would disconnect you from matches AND time-out your entire network.

A lot of the current lag and warping issues could be caused by people not being able to keep up with the massive upload QC needs. There is no other game that needs even close to this much upload speed. This needs to be fixed ASAP, as it's making the game literally unplayable at high FPS.
The only workaround right now, is to limit your FPS to 60 (via nVidia Inspector, Resolution Scale, etc.).
You will still need over 30 KB/s of Upload @ 60 FPS, which is WAY more than any other game would ever use.

TL;DR version: The higher your FPS in game, the more upload bandwith QC will use.

Admittedly, not purely a netcode issue but it could help some people in this thread (as I saw someone complaining about lovely lag and disconnects earlier in the thread). Also an awful design and explains a lot of the rubberbanding I'm experiencing in game, both for myself and for other people who apparently have 30 ping but still jerkily teleport around me making it nearly impossible to land a goddamn hit on them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
50 KB/s is nothing though? Most internet speeds have 300-700KB/s upload if not way more.

You can't play on dial-up? Lol guess that's making GBS threads a brick. I just tested, dropped my settings so I was at 144fps (on a 144hz monitor so its for real) and have no issue with the upload.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 14, 2017

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Dude can you stop dismissing the experiences of others mate. This very much falls under the umbrella of 'bad netcode' if it makes the experience inaccessible with way more bandwidth required than other shooters. The old games were playable with dial up and mechanically these games are 100% achievable with that same tech, so it's kind of not excusable to be going backwards in terms of stable netcode. Fighting games are managing it to a degree, arguably a far harder challenge than fps games in terms of tolerances and prediction, so maybe we shouldn't just put the burden on the ones saying they're having a bad time with this here vidya game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think the problem is 'bad netcode'. Two weeks ago there was much less lag.

It's that a case of overloaded servers (with the influx of new players now the beta is open).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

50 KB/s is nothing though? Most internet speeds have 300-700KB/s upload if not way more.

You can't play on dial-up? Lol guess that's making GBS threads a brick. I just tested, dropped my settings so I was at 144fps (on a 144hz monitor so its for real) and have no issue with the upload.

Are you incapable of realising that your personal experience isn't the only relevant one? Your posts are so aggressively terrible that it borders on satire.

The game is going to be F2P and as such is hopefully aiming to draw a wide audience from across the world. It needs to retain as many of those players as possible to succeed. That amount of upload is far beyond what is needed for practically any other game, and a higher framerate requiring a higher upload is bizarre to say the least. Many people are on shared networks, or maybe don't have that amount of upload, full stop. It's not an issue in every other game, and it shouldn't be in this one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm not dismissing the experiences of others, but I'm saying most other people should still have plenty of upload. I don't see what's so offensive about that? It makes sense.

I didn't say "bullshit it doesn't do that" I said, well, even if it does, that shouldn't be an issue? I have a fast machine but I don't have a ton of upload myself, but still way way way more than 50 KB/s. My cousin has like 10MB/s upload, I have less than 1.

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't think the problem is 'bad netcode'. Two weeks ago there was much less lag.

It's that a case of overloaded servers (with the influx of new players now the beta is open).

Yeah that seems possible. If so they gotta buy more servers quick though, because free2play is gonna get hit with heavy traffic. Even more people would show up for a free launch than for a free beta.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 14, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think you get the game for free for playing in the closed beta no.

You can play as Ranger for free or you can buy the game like everybody else. :v:

Huh? Carmack worked on Rage and all kinds of things after Quake 3 or even Quake Live. He did phone games, ports, Doom 3...

Forgot about Rage, still haven't even tried it. But Doom 3 came out something like six years before Quake Live. Multiplayer on Doom 3 was actually amazing even if almost no one agreed because it was slower than Quake.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
:siren: OP update!

I added a link to the general goon Discord server, which has had a #quake channel for a long while, so that goons can organize via chat and hop in voice to party up or whatever.

Here's the Discord invite link to the general-purpose goon Discord server: https://discord.gg/7qezX7k

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I have 80 kbps updload on a good day. Internet here is garbage.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
You can permanently unlock champions through loot boxes. You get 1 chest (low chance to get one) every 1 account level and 1 reliquary (decent chance to get one) every 5 account levels.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I have and I can literally play as every character whenever I want. I guess that's a bug? :confused:
In the previous closed beta weekend (the last before the NDA died) they unlocked all the characters for everyone, then kept that for those people when they did the wipe. So if you had a beta key previously, there you go.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

If their netcode requires more or less bandwidth based on fps that is a weird design decision, regardless of the quality.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
When they try to make balance changes, I really hope that the developers take the Icefrog/Dota route and just make everything else more crazy OP instead of nerfing poo poo all the time like in most other games.

Also I'm becoming more and more a fan of Galena's totem thing. It's like dropping permanent +50 orbs for your team every 30 seconds or whatever. The other people doesn't know they can destroy them so the map gets littered with totems and we're getting free heals every few seconds.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 14, 2017

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Love Stole the Day posted:

When they try to make balance changes, I really hope that the developers take the Icefrog/Dota route and just make everything else more crazy OP instead of nerfing poo poo all the time like in most other games.

Also I'm becoming more and more a fan of Galena's totem thing. It's like dropping permanent +50 orbs for your team every 30 seconds or whatever. The other people doesn't know they can destroy them so the map gets littered with totems and we're getting free heals every few seconds.

I hope that there's never anything more powerful than ranger orb in the game because I don't want anything to detract from the power up control and movement at the heart of quake.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I'm actually really happy how they have the abilities right now. They can help out if used right but someone more skilled in movement and aiming will still win over someone who's less skilled, regardless of abilities. There's never anything like counter picking a champion like in Overwatch it all boils down to which works best with your skill as a player

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pomp posted:

I hope that there's never anything more powerful than ranger orb in the game because I don't want anything to detract from the power up control and movement at the heart of quake.

Who are you in QL?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

fadam posted:

The game is obviously far from perfect and there are other, better Quake games to play, but this is also the first time in a while people have actually given a poo poo about Quake. I can deal with dumb MOBA and Overwatch poo poo if it means an actual player base will stick with the game.

I'm not sure how much people actually give a poo poo about this Quake at this point. Is there anywhere that gives accurate numbers on how many people are actually playing it right now? There's only a tiny handful of people playing and/or watching it on Twitch right now, and as someone who literally did nothing but play Quake and nothing else for like six years straight at one point, this is only moderately on my radar. I'll still be playing Rocket League long after I uninstall this, I'm guessing.

Pomp posted:

Ranger Orb is up there since it has so much versatility, but depending on the game mode, some of the other abilities are way more annoying to deal with. Things like Visor's wall hacks or Nyx's get out of jail free card are going to be completely dominate in duel (whether they only have the current implementation of duel or some classic version). These are two abilities that completely destroy previous 1v1 arena shooter dynamics. It'll be interesting to see what kind of pro scene, if any, comes out of this title.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Bethesda is putting a lot of money into tournaments for this apparently, so that is going to draw people in

there's supposed to be a big Sacrifice tourney at this year's quakecon, there will probably be one for duel too, but it's looking like they're pushing more for the teamplay to showcase the game

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Bethesda is putting a lot of money into tournaments for this apparently, so that is going to draw people in

there's supposed to be a big Sacrifice tourney at this year's quakecon, there will probably be one for duel too, but it's looking like they're pushing more for the teamplay to showcase the game

I don't get it. Clan Arena is so much more fun to watch, imo. Why invest all that money into a new, unknown game mode over Clan Arena?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I don't get it. Clan Arena is so much more fun to watch, imo. Why invest all that money into a new, unknown game mode over Clan Arena?

It's prob the same marketing team that thought DO4M's Multiplayer was gonna be the hotness about it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bardeh posted:

The game is going to be F2P and as such is hopefully aiming to draw a wide audience from across the world. It needs to retain as many of those players as possible to succeed. That amount of upload is far beyond what is needed for practically any other game, and a higher framerate requiring a higher upload is bizarre to say the least. Many people are on shared networks, or maybe don't have that amount of upload, full stop. It's not an issue in every other game, and it shouldn't be in this one.

Yeah but again it's only 50 kilobytes per second, and only if you're playing on a computer that can do really fast framerates in the first place. That's a 400 kilobit upload speed, which isn't even legally considered broadband in most countries these days (they usually want services advertised as broadband to provide somewhere between 1 a 4 megabits upload bandwidth at minimum).

A connection that can't manage that is likely to be too high latency or outright inconsistent to be usable for modern gaming anyway, it's really no big deal for a game like this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

If their netcode requires more or less bandwidth based on fps that is a weird design decision, regardless of the quality.

Yeah it definitely is a little funky, but lots of games have had game effects tied to framerate in a way that causes some oddities. It sounds weird if you don't program videogames, but when you do it actually makes sense how it ends up that way unless you specifically design it otherwise (which is a good idea though). A lot of non-FPS games are inherently capped at 60fps and don't even let you go to 100+ because it causes issues. Not that that's a great excuse for Quake because its the kinda game where you do really want those frame rates, just saying, its trickier than you think.

Thing is if you have a computer that can run at 100+ fps then its not a terrible idea to try to communicate with the server more and get a more accurate image of what other people are doing and give other people a more up-to-the-frame idea of what you're doing on your local machine. Internet gaming is really weird and difficult. (not to say that past games like Q3 didn't do a good job of anticipating player movement)

Its specifically a problem for people with really beefy computers and yet at the same time really lovely 3rd world internet connections. That's a bit of an odd mix and its not insane that the devs didn't specifically target that environment. You can use Vsync to force 60fps easy and its the kind of thing that now they realize its an issue for a few people, they could work on patching it.

fishmech posted:

Yeah but again it's only 50 kilobytes per second, and only if you're playing on a computer that can do really fast framerates in the first place. That's a 400 kilobit upload speed, which isn't even legally considered broadband in most countries these days (they usually want services advertised as broadband to provide somewhere between 1 a 4 megabits upload bandwidth at minimum).

A connection that can't manage that is likely to be too high latency or outright inconsistent to be usable for modern gaming anyway, it's really no big deal for a game like this.

Oh my god fishmech is making GBS threads a brick! :cheeky:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Quake is fun. This game is quake but with abilities. Still Quake though. My problem with Quake is that I can't play it because everyone else playing is too good, and there's no system built-in to match me with other bad players. Hopefully Quake Champions will have fresh meat when it's new, or a ranking system.

I like Galena. It's fun to leave the healing/explosive mines in clever or obvious spots and rack up assists.

lovely Wizard posted:

As someone with several thousand dollars worth of dota and tf2 hats ( :smuggo: ) I won't put in a penny if it's rental only for f2p players.

Considering even the most garbage or scammiest games don't do rental only for characters, that's a pretty big canary in the gold mine.

You do eventually get the gold currency for leveling up. Having more than 3 characters perma-unlocked is kind of a pipe dream, but 2 wins is enough green currency to rent characters.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

well fwiw I've played a lot of it now and it's really quite fun

also most of the pros are going hard at the mode now and they seem to all agree it's pretty fun and the matches have been fun to watch, the objectives just mesh well with the champs and their abilities imo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Stupid question but how do I talk all in this game instead of just my team?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Stupid question but how do I talk all in this game instead of just my team?

enter+tab

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The problem with Clan Arena is that without any objectives the point of each round is to get to the best positional fighting spot on a map and then stay there. That means you can get plagued with slow matches where one team is holding a room or area, and the other team refuses to attack. Sure you can come up with work arounds to try and force the attack (for example, after 4 minutes everyone starts taking damage), but at the end of the day objectives push the pace and encourage activity.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Clan arena where sections of the map rotate through doing damage if you stand in them could be fun. Start the damage a few minutes after the map starts with the announcer letting everyone know the rotation. Forces movement and could even lock down the entire map except one room to prevent a one on one from taking forever (eg like on ra3map11). Heck just mod this into quake live please

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

atastypie posted:

Clan arena where sections of the map rotate through doing damage if you stand in them could be fun. Start the damage a few minutes after the map starts with the announcer letting everyone know the rotation. Forces movement and could even lock down the entire map except one room to prevent a one on one from taking forever (eg like on ra3map11). Heck just mod this into quake live please

Battle Royale rules then? I've been asking for that for years.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Slash is pretty fun once you get used to her crouch slide. It follows your mouse so you can grind around corners after a strafe jump and it carries momentum for a few seconds before decaying so you can strafe jump, grind around a corner, and continue strafe jumping without losing much speed

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh man, the lag's real bad this week, half the time my lighting gun doesn't even have a shooting animation.

Anyway, just found out the hard way that you can't load into DM with a friend. 0/10 throw this game in the trash where it belongs.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

fishmech posted:

I can play literally anything except peer2peer games on this lovely 1.5mpbs DSL :shrug:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

abraxas posted:

Man, glad to see the wonderfully non-toxic, non-rear end in a top hat Quake community moved on from QL into this thread apparently. You people need to calm the gently caress down.

Also of interest: The netcode in this game is really lovely (countdown to Zaphod42 making GBS threads a brick starts now). But since I don't know poo poo about poo poo and am an amateur and only speak annecdotally about the non-existant netcode issues, have this reddit post instead: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuakeChampions/comments/6azgkk/psa_upload_is_tied_to_fps_causing_massive_lag/

TL;DR version: The higher your FPS in game, the more upload bandwith QC will use.

Admittedly, not purely a netcode issue but it could help some people in this thread (as I saw someone complaining about lovely lag and disconnects earlier in the thread). Also an awful design and explains a lot of the rubberbanding I'm experiencing in game, both for myself and for other people who apparently have 30 ping but still jerkily teleport around me making it nearly impossible to land a goddamn hit on them.

lmao that explains why my ping randomly goes from 30ms to 255ms and I get disconnected for being idle while actively playing the drat game. my PC is poo poo hot but my internet sucks.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Only issue that annoys me is LG beams turning invisible when fired.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://clips.twitch.tv/LovelyViscousGazelleDoubleRainbow

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Oh man, the lag's real bad this week, half the time my lighting gun doesn't even have a shooting animation.
There's a known bug mentioned in the patch notes where the lightning won't render if your target is out of range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not just if your target is out of range, but presumably they know that as well by now.