Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
His turret bug is funny though.

https://imgur.com/a/8WOFS5G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The slash arcade thing is dumb and I’m 90% sure the person with the lower ping wins gauntlet fights every time.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Love Stole the Day posted:

Your post makes me want to go back and play Warsow, but sadly it's not 2008 anymore. I wonder if Toxikk or Reflex Arena have anyone playing them... Toxikk looks like it has art on par with Quake Champions.

*checks Steamcharts*

:yikes:

... anyone wanna get together for a goonhouse? Toxikk seems to have a free to play limited version, at least.

Trip report!

So I finally sat down to try this Toxikk game out and it's actually better than I was expecting! It reminds me of Lawbreakers in that the developers clearly put a lot of effort and production value into this only for it to completely flop for some reason.

The game itself seems pretty good? It even has pilotable vehicles like Planetside apparently.

Toxikk seems to be like a mix between Quake and Halo but in Unreal Engine 3. I highly recommend that you guys download it (it's free) and at least check out the first tutorial level.

edit-- Also if you press F, your guy will ragdoll for comic relief value

edit^2-- Unfortunately you can only do matchmaking with the Free Edition and the matchmaking servers are all dead x_x. Solo versus bots is available but it's behind their pay wall. So actually all you can do in this game is just play the Tutorials. I guess nevermind?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 25, 2019

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Essentially yeah. Lots of good afps games out there but they’re dead so no real point. Only real options right now are ut4, ql, qc and diabotical soon hopefully.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ut4 is hella dead, sorry dude

as in, the entire development team is working on fortnite instead

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Jabor posted:

ut4 is hella dead, sorry dude

as in, the entire development team is working on fortnite instead

Ya I know what you mean but it still has players on it. I guess not a good idea anyways to get attached to it.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Not played since they completely obliterated all semblance of performance and stability with the December patch, thought I'd come back to find I literally cannot play the only mode that actually means anything until I grind the utterly dreadful DM & other shite modes with tiny maps until I get to level 10 (apparently they reset everything again?).

I just alt+F4'd, the one match I did try of DM was awful. The game looked worse than before and I juddered for 2 minutes straight, with semi-regular bouts of judder for another few minutes before I tried to queue for a Duel instead.

This game should not perform so poorly with everything set to low and on a 4670k & GTX970. Even the main menu uses 10GB of memory, what in the name of ever-loving gently caress is that.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 4, 2019

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
weird, it runs fine on my $40,000 intel xeon rig with sli nvidia teslas.

with everything set to low

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Weird, the January fixes completely worked for me. I was getting 90FPS with lots of stutters, turned everything to low to get all the way up to 110 or so, then they rolled out the fixes and I'm hitting 200FPS in duel and staying at 160 in FFA.

It must be very CPU bound still because my GPU is worse (RX 560, Ryzen 2700).

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
there were january fixes?

i haven't played since december, might have to look into that.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Are there still bots in matchmaking for DM? I played with a bunch of people who seemed really out of it today and I was wondering if they were real.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah sometimes you get bots in DM. They usually have a zero ping.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Are there still bots in matchmaking for DM? I played with a bunch of people who seemed really out of it today and I was wondering if they were real.

I think matchmaking is really loose with the player pop low so you are getting matched with new blood now.

There was also a hilarious theory posted on the reddit/discord about them being actual bots with ping.

Has anyone hit level 100 yet?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Housh posted:

Yeah sometimes you get bots in DM. They usually have a zero ping.

They didn't, they were just really bad. But then again some of them were just standing still like idiots and I think that the actual bots pretty much always keep moving.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

DoctorStrangelove posted:

They didn't, they were just really bad. But then again some of them were just standing still like idiots and I think that the actual bots pretty much always keep moving.
Sounds like xp farmers

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Patch hits Thursday. End of first battlepass (hope you hit level 100!), starting a new battlepass. Several changes on PTS to smooth gametime: intro movie plays only once, shorter logos, removed delays to starting games and voting, end of game report goes faster. Full PTS changelog including assertions of "performance optimizations" and detailed map fixes in this thread on the Bethesda Forums.

Mentioning it now because if you have unclaimed rewards they presumably go away on Thursday. Also this is probably the last hope QC has to get on a Rainbow 6 trajectory (initial frustration overcome by developer effort) rather than, you know, one of those games no one remembers.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I'm holding off on buying any sort of battlepass until I see player population go up which would be a positive sign this game has a future. Like this patch is a good step in the right direction but they need to get new maps or something going with the game. Even with a bunch of fixes and QOL improvements I'm much more likely to just load up some QL and do freezetag than playing some lopsided 4v4 mode or dm on the same few maps.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Reducing the amount of time spent not playing Quake was my main wish for this game, so it's good to see that they're improving it. I'd still prefer map rotation (especially since I almost exclusively play FFA, where it doesn't really matter if a player drops out), but this is a start.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Patch notes

Crosshair scale, soundtrack selector, new Clutch shield (50% damage reduction, not interrupted by shooting), CTF mercy limit (8 caps advantage), custom games for everyone, no spawn protection in instagib, probably other changes someone cares about!

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Patch notes seem good, especially the reduction in time for matchmaking stuff. Still not as good as just having persistent servers would be.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

They changed how network preference is listed and which ones are enabled by default so check your settings before queueing.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

How often am I going to get reset in this game.

I had to grind DM / insta just to play Duel last time I played, now I see my level is reset yet again. I literally can't even play online, I have to play versus bots until my level goes up.

This is beyond dumb. It's 3am, I want a few games of Duel before bed Instead, I have to play versus bots - Then I have to play DM until I get back to level 10 again. Sort it out, I'm fed up of it, it's putting me off ever loading this game up.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

about every three months. read the patch notes

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Got my first duel win. The guy I was playing against gave me some info that really helped me improve my positioning. I had fun playing Quake! :)

Edit: I won again! gently caress the lizard

Edit 2: gently caress the turret guy

Agoat fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 1, 2019

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
They made Quake Champions with Quake 3 maps and Quake Live weapons... but in the Doom 2 engine!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/439546320?t=04h52m55s

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

In QC news the new season started on Thursday. You have to level to 10 to duel. Timelimit duel is in custom games and will replace round based duel sometime in the season.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

amitlu posted:

Patch notes seem good, especially the reduction in time for matchmaking stuff. Still not as good as just having persistent servers would be.

I miss this so much. If Quake Champions did anything, it got me to play way more Quake 3. It felt way better to just jump on a server and play game after game uninterrupted.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

The maps would need to better or player limits would need to be halved for the DM-type games to be worth playing IMO. 8-man DM in maps designed for 2-man duels just... Aren't great.

Not having the new Duel rules be forced in matchmaking is just silly, I'm not going to bother trawling Discord for custom Quake matches.

...and of course... Reset to level 1 means I spend another 2 hours levelling up to play the mode I want to play at level 10...

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

...and of course... Reset to level 1 means I spend another 2 hours levelling up to play the mode I want to play at level 10...

if there's one thing that made me drop this game it was having trouble finding a match I like only to have the season reset and now I had to level to have trouble finding a match I like

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Yeah they reset the season again so I haven't bothered playing. It takes like 1-2 hours to grind to unlock Duel, just why... I could be spending that time in the evening playing fighting games, so I do just that.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It doesn’t really take 2 hours though? Unless your queue takes forever to pop I guess.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Deffo took me over an hour to get to level 10 last time. I think about playing it a couple times a week, remember I need to grind to 10 again, don't bother and play something else.

Absolutely bonkers stupid decision to gate modes behind levels, and then consistently reset those levels over and over. I still feel like playing some Duels but sod it, can't be arsed levelling up.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Not to mention that your controls seem to get reset every time they do this profile reset thing and then you're stuck doing your 10 Duel placement matches once more, so you could be playing a fair while before you get back to playing nice evenly-matched games.

s t u p i d

Enemy
Jul 1, 2003

nm

Enemy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 1, 2020

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

raging over instagib of all things lol

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Instagib also known as light class spam

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Xenaero posted:

Instagib also known as light class spam

hey, it's not my fault that it's easier to aim when crouchsliding.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Not sure if this deserves its own thread or not but Warsow has been forked and put on steam under the name “Warfork.”

It’s a dumb name, and the sound effects are very first pass (I guess the Warsow team didn’t release the original sounds under a permissive license? I never fully understood the assets licensing [rip acidwdm6]), but it has Warsow movement and models and maps. And for now, some players.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 27, 2019

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Patch supposed to go live today. “May” revert your settings so please make sure to memorize your settings.

How to link but not embed a tweet?

Patch has timelimit duel replacing round based duel in ranked, a bunch of sound changes, and they’re giving Strogg a short q4-like crouchslide. Oh, and normalizing air accel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
BREAKING NEWS: You can finally buy the Ushanka for this dead game.