Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

use the bethesda launcher to install it, then google "qclauncher github" and use that to run the game without the bethesda launcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

ok let me rephrase;

lets say we're playing a custom game with abilities disabled, gore off and ranger movement only, why would that be an order of magnitude more taxing on a modern x64 cpu than a 32 player dm in quake 3/live?

i'm asking what (graphics aside, as rendering will be offloaded to the gpu anyway) QC's engine is doing that QL's isn't.

:fake edit:

missed this.

but ... why?

why would there be more data shifting around in say a quake champions duel at 120fps compared to a quakelive duel at like 500fps?

your cpu was mid-range when it was released half a decade ago dude

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

dk is maybe the most i've enjoyed the game yet. airshotting somebody with the convergence is incredible

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

was wondering why my queue times were 3+ minutes instead of less than 2, turns out the patch had unchecked some datacenters. if you're getting longer than usual wait times after today, check that

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Audax posted:

My daily reward isn't doubled at all :( I want my 4x Reliq

it is normally 1 reliquary. even then, who cares? today my login reliquary contained a chest, which also contained duplicates

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

boar guy posted:

i am an old who quit playing overwatch because of the general toxicity and cant hang in stuff like battlefield but for some reason this one just clicked right away

the only thing i cant do is turn down the mouse sensitivity as far as i know i should. when i lose a 1v1 because i fibonacci my whole arm 6 inches too far and run out of mouse pad it pisses me off and i turn it right back up again, anyway

having a relatively high sens is fine for quake because there is huge variability in how fast players can move; in overwatch and battlefield everybody runs at the same speed, there is no real movement etc, just hold down W to run at a fixed rate. there is even an argument to be made for having accel on, if you invest the time to master it

clawz plays with crazy high dpi/sens/accel and, well, he does poo poo like this: https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientEnjoyableLettuceNinjaGrumpy

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

boar guy posted:

give me a mode with 20 people on a 1v1 map :D

they already hosed up tdm/ffa by adding blood run, corrupted keep, awoken, molten falls, and vale of peanut to the map pool. if you can't time items or hold shift for three seconds once in a while, try playing them there. you won't have to worry about map strategy or prediction at all!

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

just wait for the patch, it is confirmed to have balance changes and maybe also ca/ctf

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

get a 1080p/144hz/1ms TN for games, and a real monitor for everything else

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

144hz requires DVI dual or displayport in general just for the bandwidth. make sure to get the right kind of DVI cable because the naming convention is stupid and backwards. whatever monitor you order will probably come with it though

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

people who play games on the internet just have a really hard time grasping that their client is 200ms ahead of the rest of the players even with a good ping time. worldstate processing isnt instant, sending data over a network even less so. back in the day, this game synced shots across clients by forcing the client to wait for a server response when firing, containing the position/vector of the projectile, and it played like complete poo poo. now it's extremely lenient; you only need to shoot the 3d model without having to lead your shots by your ping or wait on any delays. sometimes you get railed around a corner or direct hit by a rocket that seemingly missed, but that's just your client being ahead and out of sync with the rest of the game. everybody bitching about it happening to them is benefiting from it too, just in reverse. i highly recommend battlenonsense's videos about this stuff, but also sitting down and programming some of this poo poo for yourself in e.g., python

now if you want to see absolutely rotten game networking in action (inaction?) go pick up pubg, or titanfall 2. in the case of the latter, i stopped playing when the playerbase shrank so much that inter-continental matchmaking started being the norm. in that game, high latency players would appear to teleport several feet at a time, as the interpolation completely falls apart - something that quake chumps got right. qc is totally playable with 200+ ping, though you may have a hard time winning LG dps races etc due to how far ahead your client is, but it doesn't become totally unworkable

edit: here is a good example of a bunch of idiots blaming the game when the dude clearly misses his shot

ndub fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 25, 2018

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

nah, the pickup range on items is much larger than it appears. you don't need to be on the little dais under it at all. the shooter was expecting him to jump straight into the middle of the item, hence where the shot was placed, but the guy grabbing the armor didn't move that far into the item spawn. it's well known that heavy armor is easily railed from those stairs and the lg room through the gap around the portal on that map, he was probably anticipating that and cut his jump short. if you watch the video closely, you can see the visor start to back away from the armor after picking it up. i really think that was a deliberate movement and we don't know if he had piercing sight up to make that kind of risky play work out, but i would say this is a more likely scenario than some kind of one-off networking oddity that has yet to be reproduced in a controlled environment

https://gfycat.com/LimpAncientBandicoot

edit: the guy grabbing the armor apparently competed at quakecon the other week so yeah this kind of micro strategy totally seems reasonable at that skill level imo

ndub fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 25, 2018

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Pomp posted:

The game of prediction doesn't exist in DM,

the game is built for duel and 2v2. dm/tdm/instagib all shove 8 players into a map made for 2-4 people, with item timings made for 2-4 players. you are playing the high-chaos mode for casual players and expecting it to be something that it is not trying to be. try the other modes instead :)

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

they already gave it falloff and halved the dot on pts

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

yeah i feel that they overshot it and all they needed to do was add falloff with a minimum of 20 or 25 per fireball. there will be more iterations on it on the pts before release probably

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/DreamyVenomousTapirAllenHuhu

hook does 75 damage on a direct, you can hit the button again to cut it early and retain your speed (800ish), athena can superjump off stairs/ramps, champ pack owners should be getting test server access some time in the next 24 hours which currently has athena, slipgate mode, but not ctf

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

it's most of the way to being a counterstrike defuse map, except unlike cs, the gameplay is fun

still don't have pts in steam, just in bethesda launcher, and it's pretty buried in there

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

yeah, got a ticket going, not optimistic, but whatever

supposedly ctf is pushed back a patch anyway

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

as it turns out, they do just dole out steam/twitch codes if you ask politely. now the wait for ctf pts begins

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

another pts patch, now hitting jump during grappling hook (on athena) will retain your speed, so you can shoot it and jump out of it very quickly to get going like 800+. hitting the ability button again sends you straight down to the ground with no forward speed, which seems totally useless? overall it plays much better, i was getting a lot of weird network sync issues with it prior to this update. athena is the only light with the movement to warrant having 50 max armor, imo

zoom sens is beyond hosed up, it is it's own numerical slider but there is no way to tell what it is multiplying, so if they ship the patch like this, get ready to spend 10 minutes figuring out how much zoom sens you need to have the same overall mouse speed zoomed or unzoomed. my setup is 800 dpi, 2.5 unzoomed, and then 1.58 zoomed or some poo poo and it's still off by a tiny bit. 1.58 of what, exactly? nobody outside of id/saber knows

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

they patched in the uneven, messed up zoom sens anyway despite feedback telling them it sucks. the new zoom fov slider controls how much you zoom in, with higher values giving less zoom (and less lost peripheral vision), and higher zoom sens controlling how fast you turn while zoomed. there's no formulaic correlation between the two,, and that calc posted on qc reddit today doesn't line up with how my game is working now that the patch is out, so it's probably best to just make a private match or get in the tutorial and spend 10 minutes tweaking it

can't help wondering why the pts feedback forum exists, there were several posts about how much this implementation sucks, and iD/saber went ahead with this anyway. it's so easy to fix, too. zoom sens is multiplying some unknown thing, instead of the hipfire sens. :sigh:

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

slipgate is awful. if i wanted 5 minutes of non-gameplay every time i died, i'd be playing one of those tedious, lovely battle royale games

fuckin' hell, this could've been ctf

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I somehow got BJ in a reliquary or something too because I've got him unlocked (and assumed he came with Scalebearer or something) but I never actually put down favour/plat for him

it's a bonus for owning one of the wolf games

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

ah i was thinking of this: https://steamcommunity.com/games/611500/announcements/detail/1441575842202747139

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

test server next week has a large scale ability balance pass (read: mostly damage nerfs), ctf test server delayed into november, next character has a turret that deals damage (loving why) so forget ever playing instagib again under the current ruleset

https://clips.twitch.tv/HonestAdorableWormANELE

ndub fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 19, 2018

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

very happy to see that the turret sucks and that bj is getting flushed. it seems like just about all of the abilities suck now (compared to live patch anyway), which is probably net positive overall. hopefully lights become a bit more prolific without adadad anarki completely taking over the game again. they are just quicker and more fun to play than mediums imo

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

double tapping your orb to get a free kill when you slam into someone around a corner sucks worse

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Black ops 4 is littered with chaotic unaimed aoe instakill stuff. It's not really comparable; they are not trying to provide an actual competitive experience in the way that quake is. It's still fun though IMO, just a completely different type of game, despite appearances. In black ops 4 I will pick a character based on what map is coming up and to a lesser degree, what mode, since some abilities are more suited to objective defense, flushing people out of cover, etc. Obviously, in quake, you are picking a character largely for their movement system and stack size and maybe their ability comes into play - outliers like BJ excepted. Contrast that with something like overwatch, where you are essentially just playing a MOBA character where you are your abilities, and your gun is a sideshow. In bo4 and qc you are primarily a gun, and secondarily a cooldown ability or two

can't speak to siege in any context other than being a sleep aid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

about every three months. read the patch notes