Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I got the champions pack with my Ryzen 5. Yesterday I bought a mouse with angles and colored lights along with a huge mousepad after getting all jazzed at the idea of having Quake in my life again. It plays great and they've really nailed that Quake feel while adding a lot of depth to the movement with dudes like vizor, sorlag, slash, and anarki. The abilities are fun, the weapons feel great, and the maps are super tight and visually gorgeous to boot. It's just a shame that everything in between launching the game and actually playing a match is so tremendously poo poo, and I haven't even looked at my 26 free loot crates yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The only thing keeping me from playing more is the 2+ minutes of downtime between every single match. And locking you out of the scoreboard the second the match ends? Forcing you to stare at player models with goofy cosmetics for 30 seconds, instead? Obligatory pointless level-up screen? It's bafflingly bad. Save that dog poo poo for the inevitable mobile idle game crossover.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems like intentional design meant to encourage people to buy loot crates. Though, the only thing it makes me want to buy is another game that doesn't waste 1/4th of my time.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I completely understand the toxic players. I go into a blind rage after every match when I'm pulled right out of my bloodlusting man murdering spree and forced to sit in timeout for several minutes. All of this pointless downtime is making me mad at video games.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

Ranked? I played probably a dozen games back to back last night with less than a minute between them in unranked solo NA.

Unranked, and my waits were usually between 2-4 minutes. That's not strictly the problem, though. It's getting dropped into a match full of bots after waiting that 2-4 minutes. It's getting thrown back to the menu after every round without the option to continue playing on the same server/with the same people. It's having to sit through twice as many loading screens than I should have to. It pulls me right out of my rhythm and usually leaves me irritated enough to bail after only a match or two, even though I honestly want to keep playing.

Locking players out of the scoreboard the moment the match ends is another part of the problem. Sure, you can just Esc through the subsequent summary screens, but if you want to see your damage at all it forces you to sit through a protracted XP progress bar with loot drops. If you skip past it, that scoreboard is gone forever. Checking the final score should take 3 seconds, not 60.

It's a collection of baffling choices that make the game far more frustrating than it needs to be. I'd be willing to put up with it for the time being if Saber even acknowledged that it was an issue and were looking at better ways of doing things, but AFAIK they haven't. Maybe I'm being petty and unreasonable, but this poo poo bugs the hell out of me and I just can't seem to get over it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Hey there, I haven't found a single gun but I do have plenty of camo skins. Just wanted to say gently caress off, every one of you. Thanks for reading.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I got all the characters since I bought the game a long time ago, but didn't get any of the guns. I did buy the Doom 2 SSG though and it was worth it.

Same, but I got the game with a Ryzen 5. Really lame that this stuff isn't retroactive.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

w00tmonger posted:

Haven't played a game like quake in ages. Should I be setting up weapon hot keys a certain way?

I'm feeling pretty Hibberd by my ability to navigate weapons etc

Bind them all around WASD. 1, 2, 3, 4, Q, E, R, F, etc. Don't use 6 through 0, and don't use 5 unless you can easily and comfortably reach it. There aren't that many weapons as compared to Quake Live so it shouldn't be necessary anyway.

E.g., 1-4 are gauntlet, mg, shotgun, nailgun; Q = tribolt, E = lg, R = railgun, F = RL

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Okay. He was a knight, then he died. Now he's a dead knight.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Copy that into notepad, save as .bat, run it to start quake.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I would really like a lobby option for DM that lets you choose between 4 player and 8 player. I love DM, but QC feels cramped compared to other Quakes. 4 players feels just perfect to me. 3v3 TDM would be nice too. God damnit, I miss server browsers.

Housh posted:

Anyone else experiencing micro stutters? After my first match the game starts going to poo poo like the netcode is out of sync

Turn off HRTF.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

EugeneJ posted:

Question - I've played Quake Live for years and recently got into the Race Mode and its user-created maps.

If anyone's unfamiliar, you traverse a map as fast as possible and your time is saved in a database where you're ranked against other players. You can race on the existing game maps, or users have created maps especially for the mode with obstacles and puzzles that you have to solve in order to find the end. It's good fun.

Is there anything similar in other games?

edit: here's an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTbbFJZzSk

Seconding Kreedz Climbing. It's great. Much slower, but the jumping puzzles are more challenging and more like actual puzzles. It also has binds for save/load state that allow you to try at tricky jumps until you get them.

treat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 31, 2018

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
On an equal playing field, Anarki and Slash would put almost every other champion at a direct disadvantage. The various movement styles are easily the best part of the game, though, and I don't think I'd be keen on giving them up at this point. I'd rather see equal stacks across lights and mediums but with small/fast champions having their active abilities gimped or removed.

I mean, it wouldn't be balanced but it would be nice for someone like me who sucks too much to justify playing light champs, or Slash ever because she's hard.

Also Scalebear is super fun and interesting to play thanks to his +W movement. Just thought I'd mention that.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Housh posted:

Bethesda is holding a Pax Twitch stream right now and in about an hour they will make some QC announcements.

In case anyone is interested: https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

Ugh. So they're going the Overwatch route with arcade mode. Random champions at least makes more sense in this game, and Hot Rocket at least sounds fun, but a weekly rotation of low effort "mutations" is so boring. One of my favorite 90's multiplayer games with all the modern matchmaking restrictions.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
My Logitech G930 headphones just went all stinging bee and I pulled its guts out by the USB charging cable. The Sennheisers from several pages back are a bit too heavy cost-wise. Do any of you audio pros have a solid recommendation in the $100-150 range?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Thanks for the recommendations. I ordered a Logitech G533 over the weekend before these posts started trickling out, but based on everything I've read I think I made a good choice. I loved the G930 aside from occasional blown-out audio and minor driver issues, and I guess the fact that they literally began to disintegrate after owning them for about 5 years.

MysteriousStranger posted:

That's the wireless one, don't use wireless. Also sounds like something is jacked, it shouldn't be like that.

What's the dig with wireless? Interference?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

maybe without loot boxes they'll let us stay in the same server lobby between games

also I already have all the cool poo poo, bring it on

This is the single reason I don't play this game.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
As I've said before, my problem isn't with the matchmaking wait time, it's with the unnecessary return to the matchmaking queue and the extra loading screen between each match. Obviously, it's already possible for people to jump into matches already in progress, which at this stage is pointless and annoying when it happens because it just means you're getting less actual play time for your wait time instead of supporting subsequent matches.

Baller Time posted:

Retrying this after the announcement, I really like how this game plays, but the f2p-barf at the end of a match is really dumb. I hope that will be reduced come update.

No kidding. And the fact that you can't view the scoreboard or even see the final score during that whole masturbatory sequence is infuriating. I only have 30 hours in QC but that was all I needed to be put off it entirely for these incredibly dumb, fixable reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I dropped the game not because of the queue times but because of all the downtime surrounding the actual queuing, pre-match/post-match, and need to do it after every. single. game. Just as soon as it feels like things are really getting going I'm back at the menus left to gawk at people's cosmetics. It's like being forced to eat soup with a steak knife, served one teaspoon at a time.

To be fair, even if all my big problems with QC were fixed and the community exploded, I'd still probably continue playing QC:DE instead. The movement isn't quite as fast or fluid but it's astoundingly fun and oozing with charm, plus pauses between matches are 5 - 15 seconds at most. A big update is coming in a couple weeks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrDQOTNl3o