Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Has anyone else had issues with crate items not being granted after the animation to open them? I got told I had a Clutch rune, went to look at it and then found nothing on his rune menu.

If you run into this stuff, take a SS while still logged in or write down the KSIVA numbers at the bottom of the screen and it'll help them find the issue if you submit a bug report.

Zaphod42 posted:

You're totally wrong, but really they should just be two different queues. Its so dumb having people vote for one or the other MODE. Voting for maps makes sense, for modes it does not.

Playlists are being dropped for mode selection in next update.

https://twitter.com/girlnamedmaggie/status/1015287775652909056?s=19

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

hawowanlawow posted:

So uh, how often does the store update? I want to buy the Q2 railgun, but they will not take my money.

Last Month or so has been store changes on Thursday. But remember you can scroll down on the bundles page other stuff.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

MysteriousStranger posted:

when is ELO reset

July 26th.
https://twitter.com/Quake/status/1020369709081006082?s=19

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

But... Why not..? If they're good, then surely they should be rising out of Bronze, or whatever rank they're at. It's very easy to lose 100 SR in a mere hour if you have a losing streak (or gain it in an hour or two conversely). I honestly don't understand, sorry.

Speed to proper rating advantages require reasonably thick populations along the curve. Large enough gaps in groups of players can create bi-modal clustering that prevents the two groups from interacting and correctly distributing ratings across them.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Still don't get that, sorry. If I make a new account in Street Fighter 5, I'll pretty quickly rise to the rank of my main account. Don't really see how it should be any different in another 1 vs 1 type game. Similarly, in that game - assuming the achievement stats are to be believed - a mere 8% of total players have even reached Gold rank, which in that game is quite low. The top ranks have even smaller percentages, but it's nowhere near as easy to check actual numbers. 16.1% have reached Silver, so you'd have to assume 4-5% at most have reached the next full rank after Gold (Platinum, again not really that high to be honest, probably the equivalent of a Quake player who has >35% LG aim, but can't strafejump, doesn't memorize item spawns, etc.).

These games are always going to be bottom heavy, there isn't a thing like 'ELO Hell' to blame because your losses are yours to own. I think I belong in my ranking, at worst I've met a few players who said they were misplaced because they messed up their placements, but they presumably rose up the ranks.

The problem is less about new players or median group players, and more about outlier groups sitting on islands. New players won't have trouble getting a fast match or moving up in rankings. What they will have a problem doing is crossing large gaps in ratings that exist for a variety of reasons (long time in between resets, large change in pops, changes in matchmaking algorithms) and the veteran players on the other side of those gaps are having troubles matching with New players waves as well.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Pomp posted:

I'm queued up for everything i have less than 100 ping to. Gave up 10 minutes of waiting into a second match, real cool 1:1 gameplay to waiting ratio

What's your data center region?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I was kind of hoping for CTF to have Runes and grappling hooks.

Also I was hoping to have to manually bind a mouse key to +hook every time I played.

Dev said the goal for CTF is to include secondary map control aspects and specifically called out Runes as the idea they were looking to replicate.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I think the logic was to drop que times. The game has a growing player base, but it's not all that large. Each different que fractures that base even more as people tend to play one game mode really and focus on it. So by keeping it solo/teams that's a way to force reduced wait times and fuller servers.

Yeah. It went into place before the E3 growth along with bots.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Of course, but still. I'd rather wait longer to get the mode I want.

You could even let people queue for both, although that'd require features that maybe their network can't currently handle. But then that's on them.

This is how it worked prior to the E3 patch. You could multiqueue in casual or ranked.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

New Zealand can eat me posted:

SyncError was teasing that there's an additional interaction past the basic "if the fireball is 3m from the floor it leaves a burning trail", I'm suspecting it's some sort of synergy with standing in lava and pressing F but we'll see

IDK but I'm stoked.

"when you press F to use his Flame Strike, it sends his fireballs in a spread. You can hit F again and the outer two fireballs will converge." <MortalError in their discord, just now

Played in the IAmFortyLions Den #3 with Faxlore, was a 2v2 tournament. Tied for 13th out of 26 teams, 1W / 2L. We were splitting up too much and our comms were butt. Gonna be attached at the hip next time! Game one was vs ex Tribes pros with near goddamn PERFECT rails and surprisingly little projectile weapons. The only way we were winning engagements vs them was to have enough of a stack to eat 2 or 3 rails. I probably should have tried switching to clutch or something. I've never played in front of ~200 viewers before and my hands were sweating like I was standing on the edge of a cliff. It's funny how presentations/public speaking doesn't phase me but this noids me the gently caress out. I guess it's because I care?

Timecoded links to both of the games 40 casted:
Game One: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/291595090?t=01h36m22s
Game Two: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/291595090?t=02h58m43s

A few clips of some neater plays from me, I unironically showed these to my mom:
https://clips.twitch.tv/StrangeGoldenRaccoonThisIsSparta
https://clips.twitch.tv/NiceNimblePorpoiseDuDudu
https://clips.twitch.tv/ModernSwissAsparagusDuDudu

Not to shill for dude too hard, but The Den events are open to everyone! And he does reverse KOTH some nights (loser stays), if you're looking to dabble in competitive quake. Stop by his twitch stream for the discord link and more info https://twitch.tv/iamfortylions. I've never had anyone cast a game I was playing before, was neat as hell IMO. The chat/community is extremely chill & supportive of everyone from all skill levels.

I popped in to watch some of the Den event and it's one of the coolest player run things I've seen across games.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jose Mengelez posted:

the gauntlet drops from chests and reliquaries anyway so there's no need.
the devs said to think of the bundle as a way of donating towards their e-sports push.

Weapons in the store typically run about 1100 plat, which is $10 retail in the store, so if you were going to purchase a weapon rotating through, it's effective a bunch of stuff thrown in with the skin.

If you're looking to buy loot boxes, 2 reliquaries and 200 plat is a similar value, and you're getting a skin thrown in free.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Social Animal posted:

Couldn't resist so I bought the esports bundle. That gauntlet is really nice and great sound too.

Just unlocked the mastery shader for Visor and popped those name customizations on. It's a lot of work and it still surprises me how there are some people who have almost the entire champions mastery runes finished.

Congrats. How long did it take you?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Games up for free with the QuakeCon sale.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

F2P Permanently

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

it was always going to move to F2P iirc

Yeah that was always the plan.

Also Champ Pack is on sale again for Quakecon

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jose Mengelez posted:

uh, so is quake champions out of early access now?

Still says early access on Steam

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jose Mengelez posted:

on the upside, queue times are virtually non existent :D

I was too busy to play most of last week but had great times yesterday afternoon as well.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Rapha + Dehang are nuts. What an amazing run through the entire tournament.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jabor posted:

I only caught the finals of the 2v2, any of the earlier rounds worth looking at?

It looks like all the Liquid matches were stomps, but the Blind Trust Semifinal went to 5 and was pretty great.

Felt like Clawz accuracy was off, based on past matches I've seen from him.

Today is Duel finals and the 2v2 pool had a bunch of great pros so should be loaded matches start to finish.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

treat posted:

Bind them all around WASD. 1, 2, 3, 4, Q, E, R, F, etc. Don't use 6 through 0, and don't use 5 unless you can easily and comfortably reach it. There aren't that many weapons as compared to Quake Live so it shouldn't be necessary anyway.

E.g., 1-4 are gauntlet, mg, shotgun, nailgun; Q = tribolt, E = lg, R = railgun, F = RL

They are default bound to Q,E,R for the trinity and F is your ability by default.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Thief posted:

is that considered so old your reflexes are fading in esports?

Toxjq was his partner and he's 34

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jose Mengelez posted:

you can probably get the 250k favor required to buy a new champ every couple weeks (at most) if you play a couple matches a day and get your daily challenges and log in bonuses done (faster at the moment since it's 2x rewards for quakecon.)

If you log in daily and do the challenges, it's about 3 champs ever 2 months. With the double rewards for August it should be a lot faster though.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I think we'll see more lights in CTF. Slash, Nyx, Anarki movement abilities sort of make them ideal flag carriers.

Galena feels pretty powerful in theory there too as a totem cover for players.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

cougar cub posted:

Hrmmm new patch and now the game keeps randomly crashing on me when a match ends. Been playing since closed beta and this is brand new. Weird.

You submit a bug report?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

On the 2v2 the game will match you in a 2v2 with with people all in your ELO range and then bounce in other players or bots later, ditto with 3v3.

There's no bots in modes other than the specific Bots TDM mode now.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Housh posted:

Since Free to Play? (when I joined)

I hope I didn't get this inflated sense of confidence from my first hour playing. I hate that bullshit like the PUBG mobile release.

Bots were removed largely during the Elo reset a few weeks back and entirely at the pre-Quakecon patch. Bots are only in Bot TDM mode and custom games. The first match after training IS against bots but you only play them until you hit level 2. And then you can play whatever.

Last patch it was really easy to feel like you were crushing it because knew players didn't know the bot names and you had to play two matches minimum of TDM that had bots only but wasn't clear that they were bots.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Sometimes I start missing lots of shots and wonder why I'm sucking

Then I remember whiskey is bad for hand eye coordination :cheeky:

I holehardetly dishagree

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Huh guess I fixed it. Set fps cap in riveria tuner and set quake fps cap to infinate. Seems to have worked

Cool. Let us know if that works long term? Would be nice to have a fix for any other players having that trouble.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Social Animal posted:

So aren’t we supposed to see slipgate in pts very soon? For some reason I remember interpreting dev updates as slipgate being more ready than ctf right now.

4 new modes will be shown at Pax West, including ones they've announced but in the community stream they implied that there is another.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Housh posted:

I’m using a ps3 headset and it’s actually not that bad.

When are we getting the longest yard? Is that in a September update? How often do they update with new content?

Since June it's been on about the first Thursday of every month if I'm not mistaken.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

kaschei posted:

If any new players don’t know there’s some big reward for completing the tutorial and it is definitely worth your time.

That got discontinued in the latest patch, but a lot of people haven't realized that there's a pretty big reward for getting the collectibles in the tutorial.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Fortylions is streaming a den on twitch again tonight. Pretty great stuff and some fun matches.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

That's sort of to help counter the fact he can see you through the wall! Also you can hear most people tromping around in smaller games.

Not when I'm rocking out to the new soundtrack and sprinting around to give people rocket hugs.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Thief posted:

nyx is basically the dead ringer spy from tf2 except you can trigger it at will if you think you're about to get your rear end kicked

Also ran into a bunch of Nyx recently hard countering my BJ ability which looks like it's catching on.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Thief posted:

is there a casual ELO because i don't remember ever being this good at Quake

There is. There was an Elo reset last month for casual and ranked play.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Sikreci posted:

What's the deal with the netcode? I'm no Fatal One Thank You but it feels okay to me. I see tons of people bitching about it everywhere other than here and claiming the game is fundamentally broken, though. Also I guess there were a bunch of technical problems at Dreamhack or Quakecon or something?

At QCon the spectator client was lagging a bit on day 1, and they were troubleshooting that through the day. Fixed by Day 2, but a bunch of redditors thought that it affected the players themselves.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Pomp posted:

another patch without anticheat lol

It has anticheat.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Pomp posted:

They have fairfight but they don't do autobans, relying entirely on player reports. They don't have anticheat.

It has an anticheat system. That's what fairfight is. If you play someone who looks like they're cheating, report them. People get banned.

Anticheat not being perfect isn't the same thing as not having anticheat.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Just to confirm: if I don't buy the champions pack now, will I never be able to play on a custom server? Is there any news about this? I couldn't give a poo poo about having access to the entire character roster but private/custom matches are a pretty big deal.

The Champions Pack isn't going away next week. It's just going up in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I just lost a reliquary and any items I would've gotten from it because the game connected me to a match while it was opening up. It seems the game doesn't consume lootboxes at the same time as it gives you the resulting items for some asinine reason, so if you connect to a match during the opening animation you lose the box but don't get anything.

I've opened backpacks as a match launched and gotten the runes from them. The box opens and you get your items but you don't see what they are so you either have to dig for them or double check your shards.