Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Without buying anything, you have access to Ranger, Scalebearer, and whatever the rotating champion-of-the-week is.

Just enough characters to enter the duel mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty glad I held off on buying the champs pack, I'd have been real pissed if I'd spent money on this.

Literally spend more time queuing than playing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MysteriousStranger posted:

They had it at one point where it voted/loaded you into the next match the losing team almost always fell apart.

Usually you randomise the teams whenever you change maps explicitly to avoid that issue.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Perhaps one of them isn't counting overkill damage?

Like, if someone's on 10 health, and you rail them, maybe the medals count 90 but the scoreboard only counts 10.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I only caught the finals of the 2v2, any of the earlier rounds worth looking at?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Thief posted:

this puts you at a disadvantage at LAN parties :ohdear:

Pick nonstandard colours, so that it throws your opponents off. Teal for railgun, etc.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're just looking for one or two champs it's not too hard to get there, though you'll always have to deal with the free-to-play model nickel and diming you all the time.

Honestly though I'd just play a bunch today and then if you like it, buy the champions pack while it's on sale. Treat it like a $20 game with a free demo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
He was using visor for some of those rounds.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The ffa deathmatch meta is totally different to the duel/competitive team meta. Clutch is probably a bit mediocre in ffa - he has an enormous hitbox, and while his ability is great for winning 1v1s, it's much less useful when you're taking damage from all sides and shielding up to block damage gives other people more opportunity to steal your kill. I'd only really go for it if you like the clutch-specific movement.

Consider trying out some light champs? Being squishy right off spawn is rough, but really makes you focus on your movement and they have some neat tricks to them. Try one of them when they're on free rotation and see how you like it

Alternatively you could just sit on it for now, play DK until they make it slightly less ridiculous in ffa, and make your choice then.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

d0s posted:

e: am I the only one who hates blood covenant? it's such a lovely map to me and people overwhelmingly pick it every. goddamn. time.

it's a remake of the literal most popular quake 3 map, so probably yes.

What don't you like about it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
On the one hand, being slightly over-tuned to begin with, and then pulling it back in line with everything else once people have had enough of a taste to see if they like it, can be a decent way to get people to actually play new characters instead of just ignoring them and sticking with their favourites.

On the other hand, making new champs too powerful could risk making things feel like too much of a treadmill for people who don't have the champions pack.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The game actually has lag compensation, so you can click on people to shoot them instead of having to lead your rails by exactly as much as your ping like in the old days.

As a bit of a natural consequence, you get situations where you ducked behind a corner or through a teleporter or something, but on their screen they shot you-50ms-ago and you die even though you thought you escaped. If you're the sort of person prone to raging out and blaming everything but yourself when you lose, it's an easy thing to point at to protect your ego.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pomp posted:

hey guys I wrapped my dick in saran wrap am i safe from aids

yes, but you were safe before doing that too

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pomp posted:

??? Surely they mean let call before a price bump

Nah, they've been saying from the start that the champs pack is a limited time thing and it'll become f2p-monetization-only at some point.

Which is gonna suck for anyone late to the party who's stuck with a f2p hellgrind instead of just being able to outright buy the game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They did mention at one point that they'd come up with some other solution for custom games after they stop selling the champions pack. It'd be really weird if we got to 2020 and the only way to play a custom game was to know someone who was playing from the beginning.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is there a secret keybind for switching characters or something? I ask because sometimes in the middle of a heated game I'll end up randomly respawning as a different character, and I know I've never pressed H at any point. It's really loving stupid.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Buff light stacks, nerf heavy stacks, and then some very strange ability nerfs?

Constantly loving with projectile speeds so you have to relearn your airshots is pretty mediocre too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You really think they'd buff the abilities that just got massively nerfed cooldown-wise though, instead of nerfing them even more.

Also, how am I gonna get Disintegrator medals now that I can't cheese them in instagib?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Cut them down to 6 players instead of 8, games that only partially fill end up being really fun (when there's not a lovely bot deadweighting one of the teams, anyway).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's really contextual, but generally the mg is considered the most versatile, while the starting shotgun is only gonna be used until you've picked up a real weapon.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Someone should build a tight, fast-paced arena fps as the obligatory multiplayer component for their single-player shootmans.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Did SyncError ever figure out that nobody wants ten minutes of staring at bars going up/matchmaking timer/voting/waiting for players in between every ten minutes of actually playing a fast-paced arena shooter?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ut4 is hella dead, sorry dude

as in, the entire development team is working on fortnite instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly when it was movement stuff like vq3 vs cpma and stuff like ranger orb and walljumps and slash crouchslides then it was kinda neat.

The "press q to delete the guy you're looking at" abilities were real bad though. Especially when it was "here's a new champion with a really overpowered ability (except if you're also playing the same champion), pay up if you want to enjoy the game because we aren't going to nerf it until we've gotten every single dollar we can from it".