Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I guess I'm sort of looking at it sort of how I look at Firaxis's XCOM, it's flawed but straddled the ground between the grognards and the broader audience well to result in a game that played in a AAA space and managed to get expansions and sequels, and arguably to a degree brought new interest into turn based strategy games that may have not existed without it.

That said though multiplayer titles seem to make some really player hostile decisions in terms of how they present their offerings these days, ongoing DLC / Season Pass etc etc have eroded the trust of what could be the diehard player base (the grognards). I love the arena days although my poison was UT99 1v1 and dabbling with mapping while I was a teenager. Sort of dropped gaming for a long time due to working at sea since though, so completely out of touch with arena DM, but it'd be nice to have a player base which doesn't have a sheer cliff in terms of matchmaking difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Dude can you stop dismissing the experiences of others mate. This very much falls under the umbrella of 'bad netcode' if it makes the experience inaccessible with way more bandwidth required than other shooters. The old games were playable with dial up and mechanically these games are 100% achievable with that same tech, so it's kind of not excusable to be going backwards in terms of stable netcode. Fighting games are managing it to a degree, arguably a far harder challenge than fps games in terms of tolerances and prediction, so maybe we shouldn't just put the burden on the ones saying they're having a bad time with this here vidya game.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Per poly feels like one of those things that makes sense in a survival/military shooter like PUBG or whatever, where the whole game is trying to get slight angles on the opposition through positioning and awareness, but in a twitch shooter it's just another thing you shouldn't have to worry about beyond a centre mass hitbox.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Oh this is out now but they hosed it up?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, Overwatch ultimates seem designed around every player 'getting their moment' despite being bad, resulting in swingy battles even with major skill differentials. It's a far cry from abilities intended to merely give unique offensive/defensive/mobility characteristics whilst remaining balanced with the rest of the cast.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MysteriousStranger posted:

that you'd have to have something physically and mentally wrong with you not to land the shots.

I get that this is a touch of hyperbole, but it gets real old seeing nerds equate being bad at video games with having a physical or mental disability. Believe it or not games are mainstream and there are lots of people out there giving it a try who haven't built up a near lifetime of muscle memory for the hand eye coordination.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Thinkin of grabbing this, what's the best way to learn how to move if you grew up on the Unreal Tournament side of the fence back when you actually played arena shooters? (Where you didn't have even remotely the same movement capability)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pomp posted:

all of my friends doing this play overwatch instead, which is baffling

“I hate abilities and heroes!” Plays the swingiest ability centric hero shooter there is.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Yodzilla posted:

Unreal Tournament 3 was such garbage in so many levels. It even shipped with a completely broken friends system so you couldn’t even play with your buddies. Then CliffyB flipped his poo poo and said PC gaming was dead and blamed everything on that so welp.

What a thing to look at with the benefit of hindsight, accurate only if you footnote it with “* dead if you overinvest massively to keep up graphically while having no vision in gameplay, story or overall execution”.

Honestly it’s really disappointing to play games over the last 10 years and see where they start to curve away from well crafted single player, or multiplayer stuffed with content and potential, towards more and more limited or badly paced products chasing open world playtimes, or micro transaction economies supported by broken base game pacing. All this time and money dressing up experiences actively hurting the qualities that make them compelling in the first place.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

The Kins posted:

Actually, videogames are good.

Didn't say that. There's plenty of great videogames, just that there are an awful lot of AAA bench mark games that are blazing lovely trails that don't actually care about making good games anymore, and then blame the platform for their failures (or mere drops in sales performance) rather than their lack of vision or care about their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jose Mengelez posted:

personally I'm holding off judgement until i see $5 backpack keys and a community market with $800 gauntlet reskins.

Eh, just because they’re not the worst examples in gaming today doesn’t exclude the system being poo poo on its own merits. Thoroughly gone are the days where a progression system is balanced based on feeling like progression, there’s now an inherent calculation against how much the player will put up vs their breaking point to paying cash for what they used to be rewarded as par for the course.