Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pomp posted:

Abilities are goofy but mostly don't draw away from the Quake

Yeah that's how I feel.

Having fun jumping around blasting people with rockets regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nerdrum posted:

Nyx and Anarki are super close to CPMA style movement especially Anarki with strafe jumps. The lightning gun is a little overpowered right now and the rocket launcher feels like absolute dog poo poo but the shotgun and rail feel pretty good already.

Kind of sucks there's no Plasma Gun right now for corner climbs. Overall the trail weapons just feel weird and unfinished along with 80% of the rest of the game. Also, set a frame limit of 165fps otherwise the microstuttering is unbelievably terrible but that almost might be the incredible memory leak the game develops in 3 matches, but it is a Bethesda title so a memory leak is expected.

The super nailgun IS the plasma gun, reskinned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Characters info for the OP:

Ranger
Health (base/max): 100/100
Armour (base/max): 25/75
Speed: 320
Active ability - Dire Orb: Ranger's active ability is a glowing ball that can be thrown and then immediately teleported to. The ability is a homage to Quake’s final boss battle, where players have to perform a telefrag to slay Shub-Niggurath. No doubt telefragging with the Dire Orb will become a popular method of dispatch among pros. The Dire Orb also does damage to any foe that it passes through, making it an effective weapon in corridors.
Cooldown: 20 seconds
Passive ability - Son of a Gun: reduces self damage by 25%, which is ideal for rocket-jumping.

Classic hero from Quake 1, solid character good at rocket jumping, special is fun either as grenade or as a teleport beacon like from Unreal Tournament

Visor
Health (base/max): 125/125
Armour (base/max): 25/50
Speed: 300
Active ability - Piercing Eye: Visor's special ability is essentially x-ray vision, which allows him to see through walls and spot targets without them ever knowing. Has a short activation delay and then only lasts for a few seconds, so must be timed appropriately.
Cooldown: 45 seconds
Passive ability - Grasshopper: Visor is able to strafe jump, which means he can accelerate way beyond his base speed.

Returning from Quake 3, one of the best characters for pros because of his passive, but not a good character for newbies. Active ability giving wallhacks is nice but you have to know when to use it and you still have to aim.

Sorlag
Health (base/max): 150/150
Armour (base/max): 50/100
Speed: 270
Active ability - Acid Spit: As the name suggests, it lets the player shoot acid at their foes - it’s incredibly useful for ground control and locking down pickups. Deals damage over time if you hit someone or they walk through it, and can get kills from the grave.
Cooldown: 40 seconds
Passive ability - Bunny Hop: When jumping forward continuously Sorlag builds up speed faster than other characters.

Lizard is back from Q3 and she's pretty great. Bunny hopping for increased speed, not as crazy as Visor's strafejumping speed but gets up there, and the acid spit is really fun for getting easy kills.

Nyx
Health (base/max): 75/75
Speed: 270
Active ability - Ghost Walk: using Nyx’s Ghost Walk ability transfers her player into a new dimension, instantly and temporarily making Nyx invincible and immune to all damage. This can be used to escape tense battles, to move behind unsuspecting enemies or to shrug off damage from incoming projectiles.
Passive ability - Wall Jump: not to be confused with a wall run, wall jump effectively allows Nyx to double jump in tight areas, once onto a wall, and then again after a short wall run.

Fun character with a good mix of mobility and evasion, wall-jumping feels really good and gives you alternative ways of getting around, and her special lets you get out of a jam or ambush somebody if used properly, can turn a fight around.

Scalebearer
Health (base/max): 150/200
Armour (base/max): 25/150
Speed: 300
Active ability - Bull Rush: Scalebearer's primary ability is a sort of super-charged straight line sprint that kills everything it makes contact with. Bull Rush doesn't quite make the player invincible, but it does reduce damage taken from incoming fire while active.
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Passive ability - Heavyweight: You deal damage just by brushing past your enemies at high speeds or landing on them. This is only activated once you surpass 400 speed.

This demonic linebacker is a new character who is very direct. Use his high base speed and health to get in people's faces, and use his active ability to smash faces.

Anarki
Health (base/max): 75/75
Speed: 320
Active ability - Health Injection: Anarki's active ability allows him to instantly heal himself and recieve a permanent maximum health boost. After using Health Injection, Anarki also gets a speed boost that lasts for five seconds.
Cooldown: 45 seconds
Passive ability - Hoverboard Air Control: Anarki is already one of the fastest Champions in the game, but the hoverboard means he can actually gain speed as he strafe-jumps. In addition, his hoverboard awards a special passive ability that allows players more control in mid-air to turn sharply and chase down enemies or escape those who dare follow him up a jump pad.

Returning from Q3, the hoverboard punk gains some drugs for self-healing and gets superior air mobility because of his hoverboard and strafe jumping. Solid choice, especially for pros.

Slash
Armour (base/max): 0/25
Speed: 310
Active ability - Plasma Trail: Slash’s Plasma Trail primary ability lets her leave a damaging electric trail behind her wherever she goes for a few seconds. This can be used to cut off pathways or deter other players from chasing her. Better still, Slash can trigger that trail to explode on a whim, killing anything caught in its wake. It’s the ideal ability for shaking enemies off you tail or taking control of key map points.
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Passive ability - Crouch Slide: Slash’s passive ability lets her drop to her knees while running without losing any speed - this makes her a smaller target, but also temporarily boosts her turn speed allowing her to surprise tailing players.

Also returning from Q3, Slash's ability can be pretty good for getting out of a tough spot and possibly getting a free kill off it, but not sure how effective she is overall.

Clutch
Health (base/max): 150/150
Armour (base/max): 50/100
Speed: 280
Active ability - Barrier: Places a barrier that can temporarily deflect all incoming damage and block enemies from passing through it. Clutch can shoot through the shield, but to stop this from being too overpowered the barrier will deactivate for a short amount of time with each shot.
Passive abilities - Still Defense: Clutch gets a 20% damage reduction boost when standing still. Acceleration: running forward without changing direction will rapidly increase Clutch’s movement speed.

New character, good starting health and speed and some defensive abilties... probably good for newbies since he's meant to run and not jump, so this guy seems trash for good players, nobody's playing him.

Galena
Armour (base/max): 25/75
Speed: 280
Active ability - Unholy Totem: Galena’s primary ability lets her place a healing totem that gradually heals her and any teammates within its radius. Of course it wouldn’t be very Quake to have a straightforward healer character, so Galena’s Unholy Totem also deals lethal damage to any enemy Champion that crosses its path.
Passive ability - Channeling: this passive ability lets Galena redeploy her Unholy Totem by chipping a fraction off its cooldown timer with every health bubble walked over.

Another new character, this one seems meant for support for team games? Again probably good for newbies but seems kinda garbage and nobody is playing her.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 13, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I miss the blue balls, and the plasma sound was classic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I expected newbie players who don't know that jumping is a faster way to get around. What I didn't expect were newbie kids who have never played CTF before in their lives.

You get the skull and you bring it to your base its not rocket science guys :doh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bloodmobile posted:

The problem is there is no 'base' exactly. Whoever gets the first skull gets to decide which obelisk they play for the rest of the round. That's what causing the confusion among new players. You only get to know what your 'base' is once the first obelisk is activated, which is very poorly communicated within the game.

That's a fair point. You should just spawn at one and have it default to yours.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cougar cub posted:

Is there matchmaking? If so it's complete garbage and I apologize to everyone I pub stomp. Would be nice to try this in more competitive matches.

In my experience Betas never have good matchmaking. The ELO algorithm requires lots of matches to be played to figure out where to rank people. Once most people are ranked, an individual can be ranked with only a few matches against them, but when the entire sea of players is new to a game and everybody defaults to 1000, it takes many matches to actually figure out where to place people.

Think about it, starting off one pro beats another pro and you end up with one pro at like 1100 ELO and another pro at like 900 ELO. When in actuality, both of them should be like 3100 and other bad players should be at 900. It takes time to shake it all out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I think the reason you're allowed to pick which obelisk is yours in Sacrifice is that you can pick a location that works better for your team and can give you a big advantage over choosing which you want to defend based on your teams strengths. I think as people get used to the mode first capture is gonna be very hotly contested cause of that

Yeah its a cool idea that lets you play CTF on asymmetric maps which is normally a problem, but... its still a bit of a problem, like Bloodmobile said.

96 spacejam posted:

I haven't tried the poison spitting guy nor have I ran into someone playing him (or if they have at least not effectively). I'll try him out tonight. His slowness made me avoid him.

Sorlag is only slow if you aren't jumping which you should be all the time.

Visor and Anarki are probably the fastest if you play them right, followed by Sorlag, followed by everybody else.

Pro picks: Visor, Anarki, Sorlag, Ranger, Nyx in that order IMO

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 13, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

widespread posted:

Just add the Nail Gun into both and Quake Champs can die in a fire probably.

Like, why did we need these skins to have gameplay changes again

Skins don't have gameplay changes though

Pomp posted:

oh yeah i forgot to say that if there's no classic duel mode then the game is actually unredeemable trash

IronicDongz posted:

There's already a classic mode confirmed. But also, like... quake live and reflex arena already exist, why wouldn't you just play those if you're not interested in something with different stuff than classic quake?

You must think 99% of videogames are unredeemable trash, and you must also be great at parties :rolleyes:

Personally I think having a new graphics quake live would be fine, but I think this game can be that and have characters too and its not worth throwing a fit over :shrug: The characters don't make that big of a difference, play the beta, its not worth crying over. Its fun. Its way better than COD or Overwatch or anything like that, it feels really fast and good, and there's different modes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 14, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

widespread posted:

For me, I consider the characters "skins" and whatever the skins are "cosmetics". But yeah, I prob should say the characters have gameplay changes. Sounds nice and all, but it's just a bit worrying since you'd need a lot of the free currency to rent them with the real world money option unlocking them permanently. And that's not even getting into the song-and-dance routine of "this is OP/this is poo poo" stuff.

All the base characters are free, and I have to hope that's the intention for the final game too. I think the point of renting characters is to have NEW DLC characters, like Rainbow Six Siege, which you can purchase for $5 or you can unlock with grinding. Its a pretty successful business scheme. Siege doesn't even give you the option to rent and I don't mind.

If you have to grind to unlock each champion that'll straight up ruin the game. But as long as all the "base" champions can be unlocked free/instantly/quickly, then it doesn't really matter at all.

If one character becomes OP everybody'll use that character because there are no class limits, this isn't Overwatch. If everybody wants to play Visor, everybody can play Visor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

You can't buy characters at all with the free currency. You can only rent them.

Right. Which doesn't matter if all the base characters are free. :v:

I mean I guess that sucks if there's DLC characters and you can't unlock them with grinding :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

They're not free. You can only rent them for 24 hours a time, or pay real money to unlock them. Have you even played the game?

I have and I can literally play as every character whenever I want. I guess that's a bug? :confused:

I think you're meant to have all the characters. I see people jumping around between them. Maybe you're bugged?

Like I said the game mentions rentals but nothing requires me to rent them, I assumed that was for future DLC characters.

Mordja posted:

Only Ranger, better known as Quakeguy is gonna be free.

Well then burn the whole thing down, that's retarded.

Is the game going to be free2play? If its free2play and you can buy all the characters for $60 then whatever.

If its $60 and you only get Ranger nobody is going to play the game. That can't be right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

Quake Champions, the latest iteration of the decades-old, fast-paced arena shooter franchise, finally has a business model. Creative director Tim Willits tells Polygon the game will be a free-to-play, but with a for-pay option.

In an interview last week, Willits said that players who want to can play a single character, a Champion named Ranger, for free. Or they can buy the Champion Pack and get unlimited access to Ranger and all his other friends for a fixed price.

Yeah so buy the game and get all the characters, who loving cares?

Or play the game for free and then you get what you pay for.

Quit bitching. Having a free2play option isn't a bad thing, that's cool. Kids can play when they don't have the money to. But any adult with a job can just buy the loving game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

I'm loving has a 40-100 ping while people teleport all around me.

It's not like I have any illusions about being good at FPS games, but the netcode and hit detection in this game are loving horrible.

My ping is constantly 25 and the netcode and detection in the game work perfectly, with the exception of the rocket delay which sucks. (But is a known issue)

Fix your lovely computer and stop bitching its the game's fault. I bet you don't know the first goddamned thing about netcode. (Generally a rule, if somebody mentions netcode they're clueless)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thats weird that somehow I got all the characters in the beta but other people only have the free ranger with renting thing. I guess I got flagged for logging in during the closed beta? Or maybe just lucky. Weird.

widespread posted:

Welp, now I'm swaying back to considering this game again. I forgot it was F2P and assumed the whole "paid game with micros" thing.

Wonder if it'll be cheaper to buy in bulk than buying what I want.

Yeah I'm wondering if they sell individual characters how much they'll be, it could actually be cool to just buy like Visor and Sorlag (plus Ranger free) and then play with them forever, if I can get those two for like $15 and skip buying the whole enchilada.

Or if its literally ONLY free2play with renting or you buy the whole thing, I'll just buy the whole thing. That would be dumb but game companies are at times dumb, especially Bethesda. Hopefully not, but I don't mind buying the game like I said before.

But regardless I do like having a free2play mode, and that should help keep the game active and popular and keep a large playerbase, which is important for a multi-only game. Lots of full price multi-only games have flopped recently, so they're probably hedging their bets. Plus goons earlier were talking about how the market for rocket arena style games is a niche now and the COD kids have a barrier to entry; if they can get in for free and try it out, that really helps. They may still get turned off, but it'll get people to try it out. And the more people play, the more people will be willing to stick it out and learn the necessary skills to git gud because their friends are playing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah warmup should only happen while people are joining the match, and then once everybody's in it should start instantly.

Pomp posted:

Did quake champions save your mothers life or something?

I answered him in the same style he posted.

People bitch about netcode all day and its always anecdotal bullshit and usually entirely ignorance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

widespread posted:

Wait huh. So basically I skip all that bullshit about paying for the game and just have everyone for free into the main game? Or, since it's still a beta, I assume I'm stuck with Ranger once the full release hits.

I don't think you get the game for free for playing in the closed beta no.

You can play as Ranger for free or you can buy the game like everybody else. :v:

extra stout posted:

It's a bit concerning, Quake Live struggles to hit big player numbers and it's fully free and amazingly well done, possibly Carmack's last real coding at ID if I'm not mistaken? I like it a lot though but don't play it much anymore because even my Quake friends grew up.

Huh? Carmack worked on Rage and all kinds of things after Quake 3 or even Quake Live. He did phone games, ports, Doom 3...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

50 KB/s is nothing though? Most internet speeds have 300-700KB/s upload if not way more.

You can't play on dial-up? Lol guess that's making GBS threads a brick. I just tested, dropped my settings so I was at 144fps (on a 144hz monitor so its for real) and have no issue with the upload.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 14, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm not dismissing the experiences of others, but I'm saying most other people should still have plenty of upload. I don't see what's so offensive about that? It makes sense.

I didn't say "bullshit it doesn't do that" I said, well, even if it does, that shouldn't be an issue? I have a fast machine but I don't have a ton of upload myself, but still way way way more than 50 KB/s. My cousin has like 10MB/s upload, I have less than 1.

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't think the problem is 'bad netcode'. Two weeks ago there was much less lag.

It's that a case of overloaded servers (with the influx of new players now the beta is open).

Yeah that seems possible. If so they gotta buy more servers quick though, because free2play is gonna get hit with heavy traffic. Even more people would show up for a free launch than for a free beta.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 14, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

If their netcode requires more or less bandwidth based on fps that is a weird design decision, regardless of the quality.

Yeah it definitely is a little funky, but lots of games have had game effects tied to framerate in a way that causes some oddities. It sounds weird if you don't program videogames, but when you do it actually makes sense how it ends up that way unless you specifically design it otherwise (which is a good idea though). A lot of non-FPS games are inherently capped at 60fps and don't even let you go to 100+ because it causes issues. Not that that's a great excuse for Quake because its the kinda game where you do really want those frame rates, just saying, its trickier than you think.

Thing is if you have a computer that can run at 100+ fps then its not a terrible idea to try to communicate with the server more and get a more accurate image of what other people are doing and give other people a more up-to-the-frame idea of what you're doing on your local machine. Internet gaming is really weird and difficult. (not to say that past games like Q3 didn't do a good job of anticipating player movement)

Its specifically a problem for people with really beefy computers and yet at the same time really lovely 3rd world internet connections. That's a bit of an odd mix and its not insane that the devs didn't specifically target that environment. You can use Vsync to force 60fps easy and its the kind of thing that now they realize its an issue for a few people, they could work on patching it.

fishmech posted:

Yeah but again it's only 50 kilobytes per second, and only if you're playing on a computer that can do really fast framerates in the first place. That's a 400 kilobit upload speed, which isn't even legally considered broadband in most countries these days (they usually want services advertised as broadband to provide somewhere between 1 a 4 megabits upload bandwidth at minimum).

A connection that can't manage that is likely to be too high latency or outright inconsistent to be usable for modern gaming anyway, it's really no big deal for a game like this.

Oh my god fishmech is making GBS threads a brick! :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

atastypie posted:

Clan arena where sections of the map rotate through doing damage if you stand in them could be fun. Start the damage a few minutes after the map starts with the announcer letting everyone know the rotation. Forces movement and could even lock down the entire map except one room to prevent a one on one from taking forever (eg like on ra3map11). Heck just mod this into quake live please

Battle Royale rules then? I've been asking for that for years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Man I need to unlock that rocket launcher model already

Also nice quad ninja

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Yeah I hate that it takes so drat long for everything. I miss joining a server, and just follow the map rotation.

The good old days :sigh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bloodmobile posted:

Not really sure why this would be worth any effort to implement. Can't you just use weapon switch binds?

Its convenient? The effort to implement is extremely trivial.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cougar cub posted:

Machine gun, easiest to deal consistent damage with.

Starting SG you have to get so drat close to deal decent damage... I was expecting it be more like the QW shotgun - too bad.

The super shotgun is basically quake 3 shotgun, and I like having that be a pickup and not something you start with. Thing is, most maps don't even have a spawn for it :shrug:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 18, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Very much so yes.

I just downloaded the new UT again after a bit to try the new mode and, uh, I was surprised at how much I didn't like it. The weapons all feel way better than Quake Champions but it's kinda ugly and I felt so goddamn slow.

New UT showed some promise for simply being a arena shooter, and I love my flak cannon, but yeah its real obvious its in early development and is never leaving it because it only ever had a skeleton crew working on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kaludan posted:

Even if it's free, UT4 sets a high bar to match and Battleborn is so cheap it's practically free and at least has some story and emoting voice acted characters.

http://i.imgur.com/ouHSWzt.gifv

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Essobie posted:

I think you are missing what he said: he said he just tried him and they should tone it down. As in, poo poo is stupidly OP. And I think I agree having played a bit of him this morning. I hear the dumb announcer voice say "choo choo" at least once a game. It's an "I Win" button in a whole lot of cases... and I'm not even that good at Quake anymore.

What part of "they should not change it" makes you assume that he missed what the guy said?

That's a ridiculously dismissive attitude dude. :smuggo: "Surely you must have misread because you couldn't possibly think this was balanced, its obviously OP"

Like dude

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cougar cub posted:

gently caress bones so hard, better not be an almost invisible player model

Gimme the bones :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

I want the eyeball from Quake 3, with the upgrades to be different retinas and colors, and my vanity items to be a top hot and a monocle.

Orbb, one of the coolest models in Q3 but almost nobody played him

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

At least one of these goes right between the dude's legs and is an obvious miss, but the first one is clearly some bullshit lag / hit detection shenanigans

Wafflecopper posted:

I miss the days when you could just join a server for a shooter and play non stop for however long you wanted while the maps rotated. These days I have to wait for a lovely matchmaker to find a new game after every single match and it really kills my will to play. Even Overwatch, with approximately eleven billion players, takes several minutes every time. Sometimes it feels like I spend more time looking for a match than actually playing. It's loving ridiculous.

Its real sad how far the industry has gone backwards when it comes to server browsers.

Its all because of consoles and dumb publishers who think gamers are morons. And gamers who are morons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Which was worse, playing quake 3 as orbb or bones, or playing goldeneye as oddjob?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This game is cool and gud and people who are super lame keep talking poo poo about it and it makes me sad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

Disabling abilities still leaves passives on so just have both people play quake guy and pretend it's still 1999.

You mean Sorlag

I love playing as ranger but sorlag has the real bunny jump.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Man the solo ranked mode where you have to pick 3 champions is bad and dumb. Only thing about this I don't like.

Guess I'll stick to FFA unranked and ranked 2v2 then

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I've always been in favor of having the option of an old school server browser. Battlefield has both.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

The problem of the game is easy: the skill ceiling is super high. That means it needs a good amount of players so each type of player can play with a group of other players of similar skill.

Correct.

Also having a high skill ceiling is important for competitive games.

What Quake Champions needs is to get popular with streamers so people can watch people play and realize what they're not doing right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm okay on the couple maps I know well and I suck on the maps I don't know well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sockpuppetclock posted:

Just played an instagib match where the end of round said I got 2nd place but the final scoreboard says I was the first to 50 :pwn:

That's amazing.

Something something beta something early access.

Also, instagib is the loving poo poo. There should be a way to queue for just instagib. A whole hopper of just instagib. Don't make me vote on this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love telefragging dudes so I just play Ranger.

Almost saved up 25k points though so trying to decide between unlocking doomguy or BJ