Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Pomp posted:

Abilities are goofy but mostly don't draw away from the Quake

There's really only one good one, and that's the Dire Orb.

All in all, this game's okay, but concerning.

But hey, I can finally run around with a nail gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

There's already a classic mode confirmed. But also, like... quake live and reflex arena already exist, why wouldn't you just play those if you're not interested in something with different stuff than classic quake?

Just add the Nail Gun into both and Quake Champs can die in a fire probably.

Like, why did we need these skins to have gameplay changes again

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

why do you want the gameplay to be exactly the same as games that already exist
do you just wanna pay repeatedly for the same thing?

(also again, plasma is better and cooler than nailgun :mad: )

I dunno, something something reviving arena shooters something something marketing. Probably could have done a bit better, but as it stands with how you get the different people? Yeah, nah, it just seems sketch as heck to me. In fact, THAT's probably my no-sell point right there.

(also if u wanted plasma go play doom this is quake we use nail guns here

e: oh there's functionality with it nvm)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

no we've actually used plasma rifle ever since quake 3 arena, which is the backbone of quake multiplayer

I apologize I just like the idea of firing nails over firing plasma balls, please forgive my inexperienced-mess.

But other than that, hopefully Quake Live is alive enough. Or what's it called, Reflex Arena?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Skins don't have gameplay changes though

For me, I consider the characters "skins" and whatever the skins are "cosmetics". But yeah, I prob should say the characters have gameplay changes. Sounds nice and all, but it's just a bit worrying since you'd need a lot of the free currency to rent them with the real world money option unlocking them permanently. And that's not even getting into the song-and-dance routine of "this is OP/this is poo poo" stuff.

IronicDongz posted:

Quake Live has enough servers with people on that you ought to be able to find one with good ping. I've been able to find games in Reflex but it's definitely easier to find 1v1s than other gamemodes.

I think I did try Quake Live but I was aiming for low latencies and wound up in some 5v5 no respawn server.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah so buy the game and get all the characters, who loving cares?

Or play the game for free and then you get what you pay for.

Quit bitching. Having a free2play option isn't a bad thing, that's cool. Kids can play when they don't have the money to. But any adult with a job can just buy the loving game.

Welp, now I'm swaying back to considering this game again. I forgot it was F2P and assumed the whole "paid game with micros" thing.

Wonder if it'll be cheaper to buy in bulk than buying what I want.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Essobie posted:

According to the patch notes, if you were in the closed beta BEFORE this weekend, you will have everyone unlocked. If you are new to the beta starting this weekend, you start with Ranger and enough bucks to rent two other characters for 24 hours (specifically so you can jump into Duel mode).

Wait huh. So basically I skip all that bullshit about paying for the game and just have everyone for free into the main game? Or, since it's still a beta, I assume I'm stuck with Ranger once the full release hits.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

I don't get it. Clan Arena is so much more fun to watch, imo. Why invest all that money into a new, unknown game mode over Clan Arena?

It's prob the same marketing team that thought DO4M's Multiplayer was gonna be the hotness about it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Yeah, MG is standard best. Nail Gun can be good if you can lead. Shotgun.... uh... just stick to MG or NG.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

I think I love this game except when I play against keel, who just starts with heavy armor despite being a medium sized model and the cooldown on his grenades is negligible so he always just has 5. Guess I should get good but I just cant stand him.

Woops I found Keel to be useful when starting out. But it's either him or Anarki.

Scalebearer is alright when you realize his speed naturally raises to 500 if you let it. Ranger is there for Instagib Fun.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Yeah as it turns out, the lightning gun is a good weapon for anyone.

You oughta tell her about the super machine gun and super nailgun.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Bring back bones and make his passive ability "smaller hitbox"

Also where the gently caress is Sarge

But bones is back... as an alt skin for Anarki. :v:

Nah but I think they're past the whole goofy character thing. Unfortunately.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

If I may be so bold, what in the gently caress do all those acronyms mean. :psyduck:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Oop, I got 250k Favor. I wanna get either Doomguy or BJ.

For a guy who tends to go too casual with maybe a bit of rough strafe jumping, are either of these a good idea.

Alternatively, considering Anarki. Love me my robot druggie.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The new announcer sucks, he sounds very bored all the time and belches out his lines. Similarly, the downside of playing Anarki is that you have to listen to yuri lowenthal speak in that horrible voice

I was gonna mention BJ quoting some grizzled badass whatever poo poo, but that might be worse, can't tell.

Which is another point towards Doomguy: his 2nd passive.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

MysteriousStranger posted:

Doomguy, stats solid, can double jump, can use ultra to get out of situations and pick up all items (you can also kill but whatever), doesn't randomly say poo poo.

Can I refund Favor, I might have made a mistake.

Also in terms of id protags: Ranger = Doomguy > Keen > BJ. Don't @ me, just based on current looks.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

:negative: sorry buddy

I'm pretty happy that I pulled the OG rocket launcher from a crate. The q1 nailgun is literally useless though holy poo poo. They need to make it a super nailgun skin.

But there's already a Super Nailgun from Q1 skin. And it's available last I checked, might buy it and the one-timer.

Now if only people picked regular DM over Instagib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Scalebearer was also free? Just complete the tutorial, and he's there.