Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Night Blade posted:

Is it me or does the rocket launcher just feel off?
There is currently a known bug that causes slight delay between clicking and firing the RL.
Also because they're collecting data on gameplay that can cause a bit of latency and the like.

Besides that I am having a great time with the game atm and I assume the RL thing will be fixed relatively soon since the devs know about it. Once everything runs smoothly I will be playing this pretty much nonstop tbh

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ps:
https://clips.twitch.tv/LaconicSuspiciousRavenBloodTrail
https://clips.twitch.tv/IronicPopularPenguinDAESuppy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I will happily continue getting double and triple kills beyond the grave with the lizard because a pack of idiots all charge around a corner to kill me while I vomit all over them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sorlag has a really nice combo of HP and decent speed imo

Zaphod42 posted:

The super nailgun IS the plasma gun, reskinned.
except the projectiles are smaller which makes it harder to tell exactly where they are which makes it harder to figure out the travel time and get used to how much you gotta lead the shots at different distances.
gimme my big blue balls

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Galena is only gonna see play in a compete squad who coordinates to move as one as a murder ball and drops a totem after each fight. As a solo queue pick she'll be like any other healer picked solo in a team game hot trash
well, healers are absolutely mandatory solo or not in overwatch

but that's because healing is really really strong in that game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's already a classic mode confirmed. But also, like... quake live and reflex arena already exist, why wouldn't you just play those if you're not interested in something with different stuff than classic quake?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

widespread posted:

Just add the Nail Gun into both and Quake Champs can die in a fire probably.

Like, why did we need these skins to have gameplay changes again
why do you want the gameplay to be exactly the same as games that already exist
do you just wanna pay repeatedly for the same thing?

(also again, plasma is better and cooler than nailgun :mad: it looks dope instead of wimpy, you can climb with it, easier to judge how to lead with more visible projectiles
e: and also it does more damage)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 14, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

widespread posted:

(also if u wanted plasma go play doom this is quake we use nail guns here
no we've actually used plasma rifle ever since quake 3 arena, which is the backbone of quake multiplayer

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

widespread posted:

I apologize I just like the idea of firing nails over firing plasma balls, please forgive my inexperienced-mess.

But other than that, hopefully Quake Live is alive enough. Or what's it called, Reflex Arena?
Quake Live has enough servers with people on that you ought to be able to find one with good ping. I've been able to find games in Reflex but it's definitely easier to find 1v1s than other gamemodes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mordja posted:

You can't buy characters at all with the free currency. You can only rent them.
You get so much free currency you can rent whatever you want forever though.

Or just buy the characters you want and probably pay considerably less than buying a full game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://clips.twitch.tv/LovelyViscousGazelleDoubleRainbow

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not just if your target is out of range, but presumably they know that as well by now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I said it before and I'll say it again: hitting a bunch of people with acid as they rush you and then hearing the damage tick on your death screen until they die is the best :allears:

I need to practice with the rail more. I keep flubbing easy shots.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 15, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
getting good at switching with binds quickly is very beneficial for your gameplay anyhow

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Сука Блять

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have mouse 4 and 5 to lightning and RL, F to shotgun, R to rail.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Jumping with RMB is definitely ideal in quake games. Takes less time to depress than spacebar with most keyboards and won't make your hand tired as fast.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Yodzilla posted:

Same. The nails feel like they're firing out quickly but traveling bizarrely slow and having someone in your sights doesn't mean poo poo with it.
Yeah, you're not supposed to point it at someone. You have to lead your shots.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think it's a weird rear end choice to have different damages for the starting weapons and the ones you pick up
the whole point of a game like this is that you start out with weak stuff and gotta get good stuff on the map

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zaphod42 posted:

The super shotgun is basically quake 3 shotgun, and I like having that be a pickup and not something you start with. Thing is, most maps don't even have a spawn for it :shrug:
beaten but super shotgun is on every map

btw making hard turns around corners while going fast as Slash by sliding is fun

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/ThatGuyTagg/status/877003840226295808

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Xenaero posted:

Kinda sucks with this incarnation of Quake, they've forced a huge discrepancy between characters with the inclusion of abilities, because I'll play nothing but Doomguy, BJ and Ranger (Would pick Doomguy 3 times in Duel if I could). I refuse to acknowledge abilities or stats, so sure I'll lose some engagements because I can't go invis+invul out of a bad situation, when normally skill would dictate I just hosed up. The moment you allow abilities and stats to dictate who you want to play, the moment you forget who you are, the moment you become one of them, so obsessed with calculations and statistics, one of the Strogg...

I gotta find the slipgate outta this place...
on the other hand, consider: doing anything and using anything within the rules of the game(any game) to win is the most pure example of the competitive spirit

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
of course, it's easy to say that when sorlagg is not only really good but also the coolest character in the game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MysteriousStranger posted:

This is true in most team games. Though over watch has the problem of being so simple and so slow it is impossible actually miss people. I've never played a game where clicking on heads was so easy that you'd have to have something physically and mentally wrong with you not to land the shots.
ok but as a counterpoint OW has no movement momentum whatsoever unlike every other modern shooter so if someone just goes adadadaadaddadddada hitting them involves a lot of luck. you also used to be able to crouch spam like crazy at the same time.

(this is not a post in favor of overwatch.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MysteriousStranger posted:

Well, and Scalebearer has dash tricks and Clutch has some sick movement tricks as well. I'm not sure what to tell you here because the "movement" issue exists with pretty much every heavy character. They all haul rear end. Granted, they can't carve turns or double jump the way the lights do, but as for speed the difference isn't that much.
Sorlag gets cpma movement which means that despite having lower base movement she has the same air movement as Anarki. Clutch and scalebearer don't. so sorlag she has considerably more control and can speed up more easily, it's not really the same with every heavy character

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantAgileGoatJKanStyle

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Slowing berserk is also good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
berserk doomguy is free lg damage

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, hopefully we can get some of those dumb kids to check it out.

Quake Champions living or dying is basically going to come down to whether popular streamers pick it up or not.

I hate the game industry in 2018 :smith:
It's not like twitch killed it or anything, it's more like it was already essentially a dead genre(Reflex bombed so fuckin hard) that now has a chance to be alive again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not really anger about death so much as fundamental problems with the design of the game

speaking of, why do death knight's fireballs have absolutely no damage falloff whatsoever
if you get caught anywhere in the splash you take the full damage

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ndub posted:

they already gave it falloff and halved the dot on pts
oh nice

I actually would have liked more dot less direct but no falloff is the big thing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not really, Overwatch has more problems with the power of damage mitigation/healing abilities(plus giving characters with good damage mitigation abilities pretty good killing power themselves in the name of making stuff "feel" good).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This link is relevant when talking about post-patch performance in this game.

tl;dr: the game is making a function call 400,000 times per second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jabor posted:

Buff light stacks, nerf heavy stacks, and then some very strange ability nerfs?
The stack changes are exactly what they said they would do a while ago, and what most people wanted them to do. Move stacks closer together so abilities are more the defining difference(plus, nerf DK)