Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I missed out on the e3 starter pack and got into the f2p. This game is exactly what I am looking for so I'm grabbing the champions pack.

I haven't played a FPS on a computer in a while. I noticed my Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse kinda suck (mainly membrane keyboard seems terrible) any recommendations for decent KB+M?

Also, I'm playing on a 1060 6GB on a 2K monitor using high. I get high fps but a lot of screen tearing. Is that just my monitor refresh rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MysteriousStranger posted:

What's the refresh on that keyboard? This is really a game that favors a 144hz/240hz monitor. And what are the FPS.
2560x1440 @ 60Hz average around 115fps....that's probably my problem :(

Housh fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 11, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

60hz is a huge problem right there. What's the input delay?
How do I figure that out? I'm guessing huge since it's a busted iMac in target display mode using Displayport.

Also, what's a decent monitor cause I'm gonna have to replace this eventually

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Hmmm if you're running 60hz monitor and 115fps you shouldn't be getting tearing

turn on adaptive vsync?

you do not *have* to have a 120-144 hz monitor. But they are nice. But that is not your problem. The game can be played on a 60hz monitor lock-solid smooth with no tearing. It can be done. You just need to configure different.

If you're upset with tearing issues, I would consider getting a gsync/freesync monitor, which is independent of a 120/144 hz monitor. I have a gsync 144hz monitor and it rules. With gsync/freesync you don't have to use vsync and you also don't get tearing.

But if you are on a budget just turn on vsync, or adaptive vsync if you can.
Yeah it seems fine now that I play more. I guess if I did have G-SYNC I wouldn't notice the slight tear. Worlds better than playing Q3A on a Voodoo3. Maybe I should invest in better keyboard and mouse first and then look out for a deal on a slick monitor.

Holy poo poo I have never had this much fun playing a PC game in 20 years.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

again, if you turn on vsync you won't have tearing

the problem with vsync is if you render at below 60fps it'll drop to 30fps, so that's why gsync/freesync are better. But dude, again, I want to be clear about this: If you are on a budget and don't want tearing turn vsync on already
Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a TKL keyboard? Right now I'm putting my keyboard on an angle to give me room for my mouse and think TKL would be better for my situation....despite media keys/volume knob looking useful.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anything with MX red switches will work really.
I'm looking at the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro on the low end and a SteelSeries Apex M750 on the high end.

Despite the SteelSeries price...it has RBG which I kinda always wanted (lol) and I figure I'm getting the SteelSeries mouse that was recommended so I'll stick to one ecosystem. Any other suggestions? I was hoping to keep it at $200 or less for a new kb+m.

Realize the keyboard is the weakest in my current gear.

Holy poo poo. I love playing Quake Champions. I hope the player base stays strong cause I find there is bit of a wait to get into matches.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

IMHO I'd get the steelseries for one reason only. I do not like having multiple driver suites running for peripherals in the backend, SS has one of the better ones. Personally I'd also pickup the steelseries Qck+ limited for a big old mouse pad and I'd go with their Rival 310 over the 600. The 600 is just overkill. The sensei and rival 310 both use the same main sensor as the 600 but have different shapes (right handed vs ambidexterous). The 600 adds an adjustable liftoff sensor and other gimics that you do not need and is larger. Save the 20 on the mouse and put it somewhere else.
That's a good tip. I was reading Rocket Jump Ninja's site guide and he echos a lot of people find that the Rival 310 is more suited for smaller hands and feels more comfortable. I have smaller hands. That'll save me a couple of bucks and I think the weights are kinda silly.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I am enjoying Quake Champions a lot, but I have some serious rose tinted glasses for Quake 1 deathmatch and I wish mods were possible for QC so we could have this.
It almost feels like a cross between Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament to me. I really love it cause it's fast and quick matches like Rocket League.

I had nostalgia chuckles playing as the Ranger. Also, the fake 90s NIN music is bad rear end.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got a steelseries keyboard and mouse coming Wednesday. Can't wait to nerd out after work.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Jose Mengelez posted:

if your peripherals have RGB john carmack himself appears in your room and bellows "you chose poorly" then you age real fast until you're a skeleton.
I can't wait to be sent to hell by john carmack and trent reznor for playing the soulless husk quake arena but who am I to judge

I wonder if I can sync them to my hue lights so i can be elite pro gamer

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm worried about the numbers. I hope they can drum up more interest in this game. I find my wait is 2 minutes between matches.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

boar guy posted:

i think the game desperately needs an objective based mode like CTF
Which I'm really surprised it doesn't. When we all go running for the Quad or Protection, it feels like a glimmer of Q2 CTF. They need to add it asap.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Can someone explain how the match record system works? I could've sworn I saved a clip before and now don't know how to do it again or where to watch it.

Also, man that menu system i love the idea and aesthetic but i get so confused.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

Nvidia highlights saves to your videos folder by default, it creates a sub folder with the name of each game
But I'm supposed to activate the recording with that, right? I don't think it was an overlay thing. I thought it was in the Quake Champions after match menu as Save Replay. Hope I didn't hallucinate that up.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are they too late to claim? I have Twitch Prime but don't see anything.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You have to have your Twitch and Bethesda accounts linked and have watched QuakeCon. It's two huge boxes, 1k shards, 1k green favor, special nameplates and icons. I'd got associate all your stuff and then bitch at them on twitter and complain and see if they cave.
My accounts were already linked but I guess I didn't watch enough QuakeCon or click the right thing. I messaged @Quake...hopefully they come through.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Message twitch as well.
I messaged them all. Gimme my LOOT!

My keyboard and mouse should arrive by the time I get home from work. Can't wait to play some more Quake Champions. I'm BillyHoush on Bethesda btw.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I put in a ticket with Twitch and they sent me all the Quake Con goodies. Holy crap the new keyboard and mouse make a hella difference playing.

I'm going through all the champions to see who I like. So far Ranger and Slash are great but I got a few more Champions left to try.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah sorry I logged in and had all the rewards in my notification after I played my first match

It was awesome EPIC & rare

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I don't know who these people are but I played against some really good people tonight and really proud I'm still a decent player despite not playing a shooter using a mouse and keyboard in 20 years lol

I've tried up to DOOM Slayer. BJ's akimbo move is cool but I kinda didn't like him. I see a lot of high kill count players using Death Knight. Can't wait to try that character.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MJBuddy posted:

There's no bots in modes other than the specific Bots TDM mode now.
Since Free to Play? (when I joined)

I hope I didn't get this inflated sense of confidence from my first hour playing. I hate that bullshit like the PUBG mobile release.

----

I have an old PS3 headset I use for coms in Fortnite. I haven't checked but does QC have coms built in or is everyone using discord? I have yet to hear anyone say anything.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What do you guys bind gauntlet to? I got the Rival 310 so I'm thinking of using one of those extra mouse buttons. Any suggestions?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I was pretty terrible tonight but I'm sticking to the ranger until I get good.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I’m using a ps3 headset and it’s actually not that bad.

When are we getting the longest yard? Is that in a September update? How often do they update with new content?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm still scrub tier but getting better. Just played my best game thus far.

What's the best way to spend the 3 different in-game currencies? I'm not well versed in this sort of stuff. Should I just buy a bunch of loot boxes or is there a strategy to save them for something?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think it's bugged. I got 8/8 tokens collected in the tutorial but on the load screen it still says 7/8. I didn't get any reward for it. Kinda stinks.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That looks awesome!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MJBuddy posted:

Fortylions is streaming a den on twitch again tonight. Pretty great stuff and some fun matches.
That's cool. I got a chest just for watching.

d0s posted:

also is there a way to make this game just show you the scoreboard the second the match is over instead of what it does by default, it's incredibly annoying
Yeah. It's really confusing and terrible. Makes no sense.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ranger is super fun but I think once I hit level 30, I'm going to try a different champion.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just tried Death Knight tonight and holy hell! I won team death match with highest kills first shot. His ability got me my first triple kill early game. It was unbelievable. I love the character too cause it's Quake 1 like the Ranger.

I love this game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Goddamnit my monitor died. Should I get the XL2411P? I'm worried about going down from a 27" 1440 IPS to a 1080p 24" TN. I do use the computer for some productivity and watching TV/Movies. Any other recommendations?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think you guys are right about the dual monitor path. It would make it easier to stream too. I will need to change around my desktop setup but this might be a nice fall renovation to my office.

Good news is that my current monitor was resurrected with a heat gun.

Question: G-sync is only for Nvidia cards and Free-sync is only for AMD, right? DVI dual-link is only needed for that benq cause it uses it's own sync system? All the G-sync monitor seem to be displayport.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ok I guess the "screen tearing" issue I had was absolutely v-sync. Cause the monitor is only 60hz and I'm getting 80-115fps I was seeing frame skips. When I turn v-sync on it is locked to 60fps. Now I'm still kinda a noob so I'm trying to understand.....does having a higher frame rate on a low hz monitor give a competitive advantage? Having it locked at 60fps using v-sync looks great cause there is zero drops but I can't tell if I'm playing worse.

Should I use the frame limiter and bump it up to lock it at 80fps?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

Vsync causes input lag. If you're using an Nvidia card, you can enable "fastsync" which gets rid of tearing with less input lag.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference. I even use a wireless mouse and keyboard and do just fine.
I got a nvidia card but can’t find fastsync. Right now I’m using the v-sync that’s in the game options.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thank you. That made a huge difference. Also, first time playing with fastsync on and I played my best game yet.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Your frame limit doesn't matter if the monitor can't refresh fast enough. If you have a 60hz monitor spitting 200 fps at it won't do squat.

V-SYNC tanks frames and adds about 16ms of lag, both freesync and g-sync also add lag but it's not nearly as bad. Some people are more sensitive to this than others and that 16ms makes a difference, others aren't. That all said moving to a 144hz monitor at 1ms delay generally means you're getting over twice the visual data with none of the input delay, so it's better. You also have less frame skips at that speed.

Generally what you are shooting for is 144hz at 144fps with ms delay and all your input devices wired. That's sort of the perfect configuration (240hz monitors do exist but are rare and not really used outside of LAN tournaments). But you'll find plenty of people who use a 60hz ips with wireless items and manage to not suck.

A faster setup isn't going to make you time items better or know how to move and where to go better. It will remove hurdles for your aim being as good as it can be but that's only part of the game. Will upgrading improve your KDR, sure it will. Provided your issue was not hitting the shots you might have it. If your issue was not knowing when the megas were going to show up and charging blindly into fights it's not going to do jack poo poo.
I dropped all my visual settings to low and get 160-180fps @ 1440 on a 60hz monitor. No lag but I have fast sync on and I hardly notice any tearing. It does feel like I can aim better and all my shots connect which I guess is from better response. In this case, I will go for a 1080p 144hz monitor and hopefully going down in resolution means I can bump up a few things in the visual settings and still maintain 144fps until I'm ready to upgrade my 1060 6GB.

My problem is I'm still a baby that loves pretty graphics but I understand in competitive FPS you need performance.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Longest Yard is on the public test server. I'm watching some streamers play it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone else experiencing micro stutters? After my first match the game starts going to poo poo like the netcode is out of sync

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So...QC runs better on my computer when I am using high graphical settings instead of low. Is it just better optimized right now for the high spec? I also deleted the appdata folder which could have unfucked things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah the match making has been really off today. Could they be rolling out an upgrade? A lot of disconnects too.