Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

the game is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

my favorite of the tanks is Scalebearer, he's even better than Sorlag imo

plays well in duel too

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

widespread posted:

I dunno, something something reviving arena shooters something something marketing. Probably could have done a bit better, but as it stands with how you get the different people? Yeah, nah, it just seems sketch as heck to me. In fact, THAT's probably my no-sell point right there.

How you get them is fair for a f2p game.

Costs 5000 of the funbucks to rent a champ for 24 hours. You can earn that in just a couple matches, or if you do the daily reward challenges you can earn it in 1 match easy. Also everyone gets Ranger permanently for free and he's really drat good.

You can also spend real money to unlock champs permanently or just buy the game and get all the champs permanently.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

As Scalebearer I jumped down from the mega on Blood Covenant right onto a Ranger's head, super marioing him to death. It did like 150 damage from that distance

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Bethesda is putting a lot of money into tournaments for this apparently, so that is going to draw people in

there's supposed to be a big Sacrifice tourney at this year's quakecon, there will probably be one for duel too, but it's looking like they're pushing more for the teamplay to showcase the game

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Love Stole the Day posted:

I don't get it. Clan Arena is so much more fun to watch, imo. Why invest all that money into a new, unknown game mode over Clan Arena?

well fwiw I've played a lot of it now and it's really quite fun

also most of the pros are going hard at the mode now and they seem to all agree it's pretty fun and the matches have been fun to watch, the objectives just mesh well with the champs and their abilities imo

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

quake champs has autojump anyways, you can just hold down the button to continuously jump

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

NG does have small aoe with knockback on it, you can climb with it just like plasma

as mentioned the grenade launcher probably won't be coming back as it's too spammy and it would completely ruin the Sacrifice game mode

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

GuyonthecoucH posted:

Ammo constraints can fix grenade spam instead of limiting options available to the players. This works for quakeworld 4v4 and that has a way more lopsided set of weapons.

well I'm referring to the Sacrifice game mode, which requires you to sit in the obelisk zone for several seconds to steal the soul. That would become way more difficult if the defenders could lob grenades without getting within line of sight. At least with rockets they have to peak out and get shot at.

For the other game modes (revealed so far anyways) I think the grenade launcher would be perfectly fine. Maybe if enough people beg for it they can add it and just disable it spawning in Sacrifice.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

What weapons have increased damage on zoom? In the previous beta it was all of them.

just rail (90) and super mg (10)

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah the hit detection was really off during this tech test week, it was almost as if the hitboxes were dragging behind the enemy's direction of movement

I had several hits that were clear misses on the back side of the travel direction and several pass throughs that should have been hits from the front side

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yes that's correct, the F2P model is everyone gets Ranger for free as default. Then you can choose to spend the currency you earn in game to rent (5k for 24hr rental) any champ you want. If you buy the game you get all champs permanently unlocked.

The precise hitbox issue is most obvious on Nyx, it was so difficult to keep consistent LG damage on her. Her arms were outside of the hitbox or something. Anarki had this problem too but at least for me it didn't seem as bad against him, his box might be slightly larger than Nyx's.

Mindblast posted:

gently caress. That's literally how people described how QL's hit detection felt. Which also explains the delay on the rockets.

at the very least they have acknowledged the rocket delay and said that they are going to fix it

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah you have the gist of it

it comes down to the client LERPing the positions of objects to eliminate the jittery nature of networked objects versus how authoritative the server wants to be with regards to where clients place shots and the actual positions of objects as known by the server

having higher server fps, less aggressive lerps, and just putting more trust into the client can all reduce the problem

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Sdoots posted:

What are the odds of them fixing/changing the weird FPS/Upload speed thing? I had to limit my FPS to 60 in order to even play, and even with that done, I would still sometimes hit a ping of 500.

I just wanna play Quake. :c

very high chance, because this last week was a special tech test that had all kinds of telemetry data uploading constantly

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

they have some sort of anticheat solution that will be impmemented for the live release, but not during beta

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

wrong

they don't need to touch scalebearer at all

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Essobie posted:

I think you are missing what he said: he said he just tried him and they should tone it down. As in, poo poo is stupidly OP. And I think I agree having played a bit of him this morning. I hear the dumb announcer voice say "choo choo" at least once a game. It's an "I Win" button in a whole lot of cases... and I'm not even that good at Quake anymore.

If you're caught in a hallway with nowhere to go then yes, you deserve to be run down. Otherwise just jump over a gap, turn and run (he's not that fast) or sidestep around an obstacle.

With that said, he's great in every mode except duel, but so is Sorlag except she's great in duel as well.

He's the ultimate FFA noob crusher though I'll give you that.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Orbb was confirmed somewhere at somepoint.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah for sure

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

hitboxes are independent of the models as they have adjusted them a few times already without modifying the actual models

they probably do have separate cylinders for the limbs so it's not surprising that a few looked like they went through the gaps, but there were at least 2 in there that absolutely should have hit but did not because of some latency issue

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

cougar cub posted:

Man, one of those new maps is absolute garbage. Don't know the name but it's the one with the quad on a platform overtop of a hole to RL. Long hallways on the outside and your rail / RL / all armour / mega close to the middle. Half the room designs don't make sense with ramps leading no where, an atrium with nothing to fight over and cramped side paths. Garbage tier.

yeah that's Lockbox

it feels fine in FFA, but in TDM it's too easy to lockdown the rail/quad top of the map. Some nice teleport trap opportunities for Galena if you like playing her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

anyone run into player(s) being completely invisible?

can't tell if it was just a bug or more likely a hack, but had just had a round where some dude on scalebearer was invisible for the entire game (including his projectiles)