Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Zaphod42 posted:

I have and I can literally play as every character whenever I want. I guess that's a bug? :confused:

I think you're meant to have all the characters. I see people jumping around between them. Maybe you're bugged?

According to the patch notes, if you were in the closed beta BEFORE this weekend, you will have everyone unlocked. If you are new to the beta starting this weekend, you start with Ranger and enough bucks to rent two other characters for 24 hours (specifically so you can jump into Duel mode).

So yeah, it's a bit odd. I was under the impression you'd get to grind for permanent characters, but apparently rental is the only way to go. As someone has already pointed out, it's super cheap and you get those points really fast if you do average to good in every match.

My biggest complaint about the game is the arbitrary down times all over the place. They even "temporarily" removed the Level Intro Cinematics for the recent update, also according to the patch notes. Temporarily? They should permanently get rid of that, as well as 30 second "connecting" screen for all players to join and the full minute of warmup (which includes 10 seconds of not being able to fire for some reason?). And then on the end of match, remove the really long wait to get back to the main menu.

Nevermind the fact that it doesn't take more than a couple of clicks to see that this is a whole lot of Quake being shoehorned onto something trying a bit too hard to be an Overwatch me-too (yes, I know that Overwatch isn't the first to have ultimates or different heroes or voiced one liners or match making instead of a server browser... but it has ALL of these things that Quake never had, and now Quake has them too). I guess I should include a :bahgawd: in here.

I think I'll stick to F2P, and likely only show up if there's a Clan Arena-like game mode that actually gets a playerbase. Feels like that's a big stretch, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

fadam posted:

The game is obviously far from perfect and there are other, better Quake games to play, but this is also the first time in a while people have actually given a poo poo about Quake. I can deal with dumb MOBA and Overwatch poo poo if it means an actual player base will stick with the game.

I'm not sure how much people actually give a poo poo about this Quake at this point. Is there anywhere that gives accurate numbers on how many people are actually playing it right now? There's only a tiny handful of people playing and/or watching it on Twitch right now, and as someone who literally did nothing but play Quake and nothing else for like six years straight at one point, this is only moderately on my radar. I'll still be playing Rocket League long after I uninstall this, I'm guessing.

Pomp posted:

I hope that there's never anything more powerful than ranger orb in the game because I don't want anything to detract from the power up control and movement at the heart of quake.

Ranger Orb is up there since it has so much versatility, but depending on the game mode, some of the other abilities are way more annoying to deal with. Things like Visor's wall hacks or Nyx's get out of jail free card are going to be completely dominate in duel (whether they only have the current implementation of duel or some classic version). These are two abilities that completely destroy previous 1v1 arena shooter dynamics. It'll be interesting to see what kind of pro scene, if any, comes out of this title.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I thought autoswitch was a standard feature, but as far as I can tell it was only ever a UT thing?

Descent 1 and 2 did this well before all of these "on foot" FPS games. :colbert:

My weapon binds are:

4 = Machine Gun
Mousewheel Up = Shotgun
Mousewheel Down = Nailgun
Space = Lightning Gun
V = Rocket Launcher
Mouse Thumb Back = Railgun*
Mouse Thumb Forward = Gauntlet

* This lets you do Rail finishers or doing a last shot before losing sight of target as you run away (or they run away). The way weapon switch works, it is faster to be using any weapon and when you either think that 80 damage will finish someone or if they are about to not be in line of sight, quick switching to rail and firing is super helpful. Switching TO railgun is fast. Switching away from it is slow (after you've fired).

Oh, and I jump with RMB and use ESDF for movement. Deal.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

wrong

they don't need to touch scalebearer at all

I think you are missing what he said: he said he just tried him and they should tone it down. As in, poo poo is stupidly OP. And I think I agree having played a bit of him this morning. I hear the dumb announcer voice say "choo choo" at least once a game. It's an "I Win" button in a whole lot of cases... and I'm not even that good at Quake anymore.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Zaphod42 posted:

What part of "they should not change it" makes you assume that he missed what the guy said?

That's a ridiculously dismissive attitude dude. :smuggo: "Surely you must have misread because you couldn't possibly think this was balanced, its obviously OP"

Like dude

It's no more dismissive than saying "wrong don't touch him he's fine." I'm assuming misread because lots of people complain about things being OP because they are getting obliterated by said things... but in this case you have people saying it should be toned down because they, themselves, are the ones obliterating everyone else, and that it is too easy to do.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

If you're caught in a hallway with nowhere to go then yes, you deserve to be run down. Otherwise just jump over a gap, turn and run (he's not that fast) or sidestep around an obstacle.

With that said, he's great in every mode except duel, but so is Sorlag except she's great in duel as well.

He's the ultimate FFA noob crusher though I'll give you that.

He's great in duel as well. You can be well out of position for a major item respawn, and just charge all the way across the map to get to it just in time. If you don't actually hit anything he runs really fast for a really long time. Bonus points if your opponent is trying to stopwatch the item and you kill them as well. Or he's a get out of jail free card if you are about to get killed.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Is this per-poly hit detection? I'm wondering if these are cases where the rail is going under arm pits or between legs. They should go back to capsule hit detection... whatever they are doing.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

cougar cub posted:

They use hitbox to help balance a speed, armour, health and abilities?

Q3 wasn't fine with the invisible hit boxes that protruded in and out of models. Everyone just forced enemy model to Keel.

You can still do that without allowing shots between legs and garbage that will always look dumb in a video game. Just have different sized capsules that remain center mass regardless of where they are in their over the top animations.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Early Access posted:

Continuous Play
Following a match, players now migrate to a new Match Lobby to continue playing, unless they opt-out in favor of returning to the Main Menu.

This might actually get me to boot this up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Pomp posted:

Or freeze tag, or instagib, or any other dozen modes that appeal to casual players and would actually keep the game alive.

I jumped into do4m mp for what was meant to be 5 minutes to see if they ever changed anything and ended up in there for a few hours because it has a ton of modes it cycles through that I missed dearly.

edit:the reason i actually came into the thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyi-GsqzBcA&t=704s

You realize that when you introduce other places for people to play within a game, they stop playing in the places that already exist? One might argue adding all these game modes is just going to make the current population worse.

Of course, I'm part of the problem. I haven't played this in months, and I don't miss it. :(