Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Man, glad to see the wonderfully non-toxic, non-rear end in a top hat Quake community moved on from QL into this thread apparently. You people need to calm the gently caress down.

Also of interest: The netcode in this game is really lovely (countdown to Zaphod42 making GBS threads a brick starts now). But since I don't know poo poo about poo poo and am an amateur and only speak annecdotally about the non-existant netcode issues, have this reddit post instead: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuakeChampions/comments/6azgkk/psa_upload_is_tied_to_fps_causing_massive_lag/

Reddit User posted:

Currently, the upload bandwidth QC uses is tied directly to your FPS. Meaning QC will congest massive amounts of UPLOAD traffic, potentially leading to people with slow upload speed (below 1 MBps UL, not DL) to heavily lag, warp/teleport & time-out without realizing the actual reason. This could likely be the root cause of current "lag" epidemic. A lot of ISPs provide "asymmetric" services, meaning even though your Internet is "fast", your Upload speed could be much slower than your download and QC needs upload.

If you have ping issues and constant DC/time-out from matches, it could be caused by having a high FPS (leading to massive upload). QC needs ~50 KB/s of upload at +100 FPS. There is currently no option or command to limit Rate, and not having enough bandwidth or hard-limiting the .exe (via Netlimiter, etc.) would disconnect you from matches AND time-out your entire network.

A lot of the current lag and warping issues could be caused by people not being able to keep up with the massive upload QC needs. There is no other game that needs even close to this much upload speed. This needs to be fixed ASAP, as it's making the game literally unplayable at high FPS.
The only workaround right now, is to limit your FPS to 60 (via nVidia Inspector, Resolution Scale, etc.).
You will still need over 30 KB/s of Upload @ 60 FPS, which is WAY more than any other game would ever use.

TL;DR version: The higher your FPS in game, the more upload bandwith QC will use.

Admittedly, not purely a netcode issue but it could help some people in this thread (as I saw someone complaining about lovely lag and disconnects earlier in the thread). Also an awful design and explains a lot of the rubberbanding I'm experiencing in game, both for myself and for other people who apparently have 30 ping but still jerkily teleport around me making it nearly impossible to land a goddamn hit on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU