Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

lovely Wizard posted:

As someone with several thousand dollars worth of dota and tf2 hats ( :smuggo: ) I won't put in a penny if it's rental only for f2p players.

Considering even the most garbage or scammiest games don't do rental only for characters, that's a pretty big canary in the gold mine.

It's a bit concerning, Quake Live struggles to hit big player numbers and it's fully free and amazingly well done, possibly Carmack's last real coding at ID if I'm not mistaken? I like it a lot though but don't play it much anymore because even my Quake friends grew up.

They need to have permanent unlocking of classes or two classes free if they're going to hit a big playerbase. I'd have to see some really next level marketing for this game to get more than just "the Quake playerbase" + 20 or 30 percent random curious people.

And there's no way it'd be 50 or 60 dollars right? Or we'd just all go back to Quake Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think you get the game for free for playing in the closed beta no.

You can play as Ranger for free or you can buy the game like everybody else. :v:

Huh? Carmack worked on Rage and all kinds of things after Quake 3 or even Quake Live. He did phone games, ports, Doom 3...

Forgot about Rage, still haven't even tried it. But Doom 3 came out something like six years before Quake Live. Multiplayer on Doom 3 was actually amazing even if almost no one agreed because it was slower than Quake.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If I played Id games since the day Quake II came out just how long will I last before I request a refund on this? What could get worse than what I've read so far, does it have it's own account system so you buy it on Steam and still have to log in with a big Bethesda launcher or what am I not considering?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Buy on Steam, you don't have to mess about with the Bethesda launcher.

Requires 3rd-Party Account: Bethesda.net (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Have I been pranked? It's crazy to imagine there isn't any huge viable Quake game alive. Tried to get back into Quake Live, must be 20 people on my coast playing on an average night.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

BattleHamster posted:

2v2 tourney at Dreamhack was absolutely amazing to watch.

you can see the replay for top 6 here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263789840

my favorite moment

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrailRudeWalrusSpicyBoy

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It took me a while but I now have a PC that can run Quake Champions and it owns big time, how much will I be penalized if I just ignore the other classes or unlocking them? Who has a class ability that is the easiest to mesh into a normal Quake playstyle? Sort of hate this teleporting ball that only takes me half as far as the ball went

$30 version worth it? Buy $4.99 thing first?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

MysteriousStranger posted:

Watch your KDR with him though. You can blow your rear end up with that as well. He's also getting nerfed next patch.

EDIT- also if your ELO rises and you run him people will swap to Nyx/Clutch which effectively hard counters your ability.

DOUBLE EDIT!- Also I think my ELO rose recently. A few days ago I was where people would straight quit the match if they saw a Death Knight, now I see Clutch and Nyx instant switches if they do.

Turns out I like abilities after playing death knight, though I'm confused how I have fire immunity but did blow myself up with fire. Maybe it's just immunity to fire on the ground, not the initial hit from other knight blasts or my own?

This is way more fun than Quake Live, sorry to say. It looks better, the soundtrack is great, and a lot of people play it. Seems it placed me at a middle rating where I stomp pubs but if I try to do ranked it's a 10 minute wait. Could also just be my awful time of day I play at.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

MysteriousStranger posted:

His ability is going to get nerfed but...

Thanks, I was all in on this game until I just did my first duel, it's a total loving joke and they abandoned the Quake Live system, the guy they put me with for my first match is ranked like 400th in the world, and it sucks rear end since I was being kind and vague before

Still going to be my go to DM/TDM game.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I micro stutter everytime this game makes me watch animations for digital currencies fly across the screen while I prepare for another 7 minute queue to do a 'duel' in Quake Of Duty

edit

After typing this post I was finally winning a duel, literally loving gauntlet killing this guy and the duel disconnects again and gives me my second auto-loss in ranked

gently caress your poo poo Bethesda

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 30, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

hawowanlawow posted:

up until a few pages ago this was a great thread, now half the time I see it update it's some pisspants playing armchair game developer. IDK what happened

Am I an armchair game developer if I think it's laughable that this game and even the game servers are less stable than Quake II had in 1998? Or if I think a 5 second animation of a loot crate exploding and making a loud sound, revealing that I can now change my nailgun from grey to dark grey is not a good way to make money or retain players?

If you don't like legitimate criticism and concerns about where Bethesda is taking Fake Quake, press F to instantly one shot me.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

emdash posted:

The tournament is on, although not much longer today. https://twitch.tv/quake

Bracket info can be found here https://liquipedia.net/quake/PGL_Quake_Champions_Open

Groups!

Came here to post the link (it's live again cooller vs. clawzssz)

Thanks for the groups and brackets, really intense game so far

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Are any of the hinted at champions named Crash? Also: REmove all champions from the game and get the players online per region over 1000, lol.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If you look at this page of discussion or even the whole thread and count out how many posts are about microtransactions, bugs, champion balancing, and anything other than Quake you know why I absolutely loving hate Quake Champions even though it's the only Quake left with a good playerbase and I have to play it sometimes.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It'll never happen because games mostly suck now but if we ever get Quake V just make it an amazing single player campaign and make the multiplayer just exactly Quake III Arena except on the Quake V engine with the pretty graphics

People will say this is impossible or would cost one billion dollars, but I'm just asking them to do something that John Carmack did with four other guys in a year and essentially no budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Kins posted:

Patch is being pushed out on Steam. It's a 14 goddamn gig download, because Id and download caps haven't been on speaking terms for a long time.

14 gigs of bullshit and the game doesn't work, I'm not saying I can't find a match I'm saying that after the intro video it says 'services not available' and you cannot even use the menu, do offline or lan, or even customize your barbie doll

gently caress This Company, Fake Quake Suck.