Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

No Bones? :(

At least they have Orbb, Xaero, and motherfucking Commander Keen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Prav posted:

man why would you rename Bones

I looked into it and my guess is that Bones is going to be an alternate skin for Deathknight (who's a Q1 enemy that, unsurprisingly, looks like an evil knight). Apparently it's just a skellie under all that armor.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I guess I kind of lucked out in that I picked Sorlag because she's the coolest looking, and then it turns out she has a really good active. (Though really I'm just waiting until they release Orbb.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Coming from Overwatch (I played a decent amount of Q3A but man that was aaaaaages ago), I actually really like the balance between hero abilities and arena-style shootmans. None of the abilities really seem oppressive and so long as I'm vaguely aware of what the other heroes do I always feel like I have a fair shot.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Most fps has server side hit arbitration. OW judges a hit based on the shooter's pov in most cases, meaning that evasive action is less useful because regardless of ping, if the shooter sees a good shot, then it's a good shot.

That's not technically an issue with whether the client or the server does it, since the server can simply perform the calculation from the POV of the shooter (this is what QC does as I understand it). It's effectively the same as OW's "favor the shooter" behavior. The following excerpt of this video shows how it works as of Aug 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTXGJDQjW_Q&t=348s

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I'd agree that it's generally easier to click mans in OW but the gameplay is really different and overall both are just as "easy" because the matchmaker matches you up with people of the same skill level. Either way - unless you're literally in the top or bottom 1% of players - you have a roughly 1/n chance of winning, where n is the number of teams.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

There are lots of guides out there on Youtube that should help. I just jumped in and tried to figure it out as I go though. I used to play Q3A but I would just gently caress around with friends so it's not like I had any real knowledge aside from what the guns/characters are.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pastamania posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who likes this game who hasn't also been playing Q3 for the last 18 years?

Cause I last played Q3 on a modem, and I have fond memories and all of that, but this game is one of the most aggravating peaces of poo poo I've played in years. Getting annihilated every 5th step out of nowhere, rinse, repeat is straight up no fun.

The last time I played Quake 3 was maybe 2006? And this game (specifically FFA DM) is exactly the poo poo I was looking for. In 16 hours of playing, I've gotten first place exactly 1 time (but 2nd or 3rd a bunch of other times), and I still love it.

Also, I used to die a ton until I started focusing on getting good guns first and then fighting guys. Turns out running headlong into the enemy with the starting gun isn't a great idea!!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Xenaero posted:

With some practice, the starting shotgun can be pretty viable compared to the others, it can dish out some hurt.

Good to know. My shotgun flicks are terribad and I tend to rely on the RL and LG (LG's fairly easy for me because I play a lot of Zarya in Overwatch). I used to be pretty good with the shotgun in Q3A but that was ages ago. Guess I better practice more.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The two big things I want are Orbb and a competitive FFA format. I wouldn't say no to an updated version of q3dm17 (The Longest Yard) though.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Uncle Kitchener posted:

The recent patched have been pretty good. Seeing a lot more players now. Still needs a lot more content like maps in the future and CTF since nobody is playing Sacrafice.

All I really want is some form of competitive FFA (granted, this isn't exactly trivial). And maybe some training modes.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

As long as they add the only character that matters (Orbb), I'm happy.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

lmao yeah I was thinking about mentioning Orbb in my last post but figured i'd just be told off that his hitboxes would be a problem.

I mean in QC, they can just tune his starting health/movespeed to be balanced, which they couldn't have done in Q3. So if anything, he's an even better fit for QC.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Only if, in return, I can have ranked FFA.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

sockpuppetclock posted:

Just played an instagib match where the end of round said I got 2nd place but the final scoreboard says I was the first to 50 :pwn:

Luckily, I've never run into this problem on account of I am bad.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

widespread posted:

But bones is back... as an alt skin for Anarki. :v:

Nah but I think they're past the whole goofy character thing. Unfortunately.

There was some leaked/datamined stuff that showed Bones (or maybe it was Death Knight?) has a sound file for the announcer. Whether that means he'll get added anytime soon or id was just hedging their bets, I have no idea.

e: This isn't what I was thinking of, but there was a leak of a bunch of stuff, which includes Bones/Death Knight, Klesk, and some stuff that we've gotten since the leak happened (Keel and Strogg, for example).

e2: Here are the sound files: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuakeChampions/comments/6vj6on/pak_file_champion_list_through_wav_files/

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 29, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Somehow, I always get exactly 6th in FFA. I still like playing though because hey, I don't have a negative score, and I occasionally do good things. It can be tilting sometimes, but compared to the time clicking through stupid menus, the respawn timer is nothing. (The respawn timer is also nothing compared to Overwatch, which I play a lot more of.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

New Zealand can eat me posted:

We're supposed to be getting full viewmodel customization eventually, they've said on the dev stream a few times that all of the functionality is there, they've just got a massive backlog of UI tasks and "extra" features are at the end of that list.

Obviously, this is part of their work to support putting the gun at the top center for Orbb. :getin:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Because it's still early access, they don't always have the free version available to get.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

They ran a quick, quick trailer (repeatedly) on the official Twitch stream, announcing a remake of The Longest Yard, aka Q3DM17.

Ok so now all they need to do is give me Orbb and I'm happy forever.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Honestly, now that it sounds like the game won't have as many annoying speedbumps to get back into another lobby after a game, I'll probably pick this up again. All the post-match nonsense really put me off playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Reducing the amount of time spent not playing Quake was my main wish for this game, so it's good to see that they're improving it. I'd still prefer map rotation (especially since I almost exclusively play FFA, where it doesn't really matter if a player drops out), but this is a start.