Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

I don't get why games don't have the matchmaking lobby just be a drop-in/drop-out FFA game so you can at least jump around and shoot eachother while waiting for games even in individual queues. Reflex does that and it's a really low budget / price niche arena shooter. Blizzard and id should be able to manage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Is reflex arena worth the five dollar sales price? Looks just like reskinned cpma but I've heard good things. Only bad thing I've heard I think is that it's dead?

For five bucks I'd say so. It's a really well made game and is ridiculously smooth and runs amazing. It's kind of my go-to to just load up and jump around shooting stuff for a few minutes here and there because of that. It doesn't have a lot of players, but it does have botmatches and like I said there is a lobby mechanic to the matchmaking that'll let you fight people while waiting.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

How the hell is CTF not in yet? God the amount of effort wasted on Sacrifice instead of just giving us CTF..

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Bring back Capturestrike.

BTW whatever happened to Threewave?

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Quake and/or UT are pretty much the only thing with the brand power to get a good amount of people for an arena shooter in this day and age. Reflex is great but it's tiny community is only top tier players which keeps it tiny.

The classes and abilities in QC were supposed to bring in new blood but it's still the same old assholes from the deathmatch community, so it was a waste and they could have just made a straight arena shooter without any of that stuff.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

RA3 was really the closest Quake came to being a more mainstream friendly game that isn't full of grognards. I'm still sad RA3 died off when QL hit, even years after being 'serious' about Quake it was worth having it installed because you could jump into a bunch of active servers at any time and just shoot poo poo.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

I've been playing a lot more lately, game feels way better than it used to. Keel is best.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

The queue times haven't been bad at all for me recently after the upswing from the last patch, but I still tab out while it searches to browse the internet until I hear the match ready sound. When they get bots in the game it'd be great if they just threw you in a botmatch during matchmaking to warm up.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

cougar cub posted:

Wait times for duel are still brutal. Thinking about joining the QC open league but have been struggling to even get to the ten placement matches. Can take 15-20 minutes to find a game in NA.

Oh yeah duel is always gonna be the realm of the most hardcore. I don't think their round based and pick system has worked at opening it up to new players, it's still too intimidating to go 1v1 vs seasoned quake players. I wonder if they'll just revert to classic duel to satisfy the people who play it.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

cougar cub posted:

Yeah I’m that seasoned quake vet and totally understand how crappy duel can be for new players.

Classic duel would be fun, but I wonder what new mode can be created to try and draw in new players. I don’t think FFA / TDM / CTF is the answer. Overwatch uses payload, Pubg is battle royal, QC introduces.... ?

If they want more casual pub modes they just need to look at previous Quake games and what modes/mods were always popular with that crowd: Clan Arena, Freeze Tag and maybe Capturestrike (from threewave CTF)

It's a double edged sword though, because if you add something like Clan Arena you risk having players only play that and never filtering off into the 'real' Quake modes that are more DM based. At a certain point though you just have to give people what they want for the game's survival.

I think Freeze Tag would be really fun in QC.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

2v2 tournament was great to watch, I really like that mode for spectating compared to (new) duel or sacrifice.

Why is Keel's map intro animation so stupid looking

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Beserk was the most bullshit ability in the game so I'm curious to how much this will impact it. Tired of seeing lobbies full of Doomslayers.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Getting rid of the Champions pack is such a dumb idea. Being able to just buy in for a regular game price and get everything that matters gameplay-wise from now and in the future is the one thing that saves the game for people instantly put off by F2P monetization stuff.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Taunts in Quake 3 were upper body only so you could use them while moving around. They should just do that because I agree the stop and plant your feet taunts would never get used in a game like this.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

treat posted:

This is the single reason I don't play this game.

Kind of the same.. they really need a way to just jump into constantly running games/servers. Waiting in matchmaking is the real killer of this playerbase.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Jabor posted:

Did SyncError ever figure out that nobody wants ten minutes of staring at bars going up/matchmaking timer/voting/waiting for players in between every ten minutes of actually playing a fast-paced arena shooter?

It's really the biggest issue with this game and the main thing keeping me from launching it more often. They need continuous lobbies and just a faster way to get in the game and playing without going through load screens and the main menu loading etc etc. It takes so drat long just to get into a match only for it to end soon and then have to go through the same process. It's one of those old man things of 'I can't believe how inferior this experience is to what we had 15 years ago'.

Just give us servers for every different mode that run continuously 24/7 and a browser to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Patch notes seem good, especially the reduction in time for matchmaking stuff. Still not as good as just having persistent servers would be.