Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao

I just recently started listening to full albums again after mostly doing pandora/spotify radio, and it's quite refreshing. How do you listen to music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa

irl is good

great question op, the answer is very carefully

Manifisto

I feel like I should listen to albums more, so I'm glad you mention it, it's a reminder to me that I should do that. among other things I'm definitely guilty sometimes (more often these days) of not going deep into the work of artists I like, and thinking back it's often the deep tracks that stay with me the most.

Manifisto

I mean, how can you claim to really know the spin doctors, how can you claim to be a true fan, if you're not familiar with some of their lesser-known songs?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I like to listen to the whole album while doing the Ethiopian shim-sham sand dance in memory of Gregory Hines may he shuffle in peace

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the album im working on now is a bunch of short pieces specefically to be played back on shuffle mode, so it will be different each time you listen to it. with just piece of song structure rather than whole songs, most tracks about 30 seconds long

cda

by Hand Knit
I never ever listen to albums on shuffle, except for that one oval album where thats what you're supposed to do

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit
Listening to an album on shuffle is like reading the chapters of a book in a random order

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
it's like having sex with one of your parents while heiling hitler and watching dubs instead of subs

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
oh, you mean like, shuffling your entire music library, or just listening to an album at a time? that's different

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
if I'm driving or working out it's usually on shuffle. if I'm listening to listen, albums are what I do.

----------------

Macnult

shuffle song library
listen through albums

cda

by Hand Knit
just to be clear though, if you listen to an album on shuffle, you're a monster

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

notable exceptions:

They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18 because if you listen on shuffle, all the little bits of "Fingertips" get dispersed throughout which is probably the point (note, playing it on shuffle will not make the music good, or you less of a loser nerd who listens to baby music for adults)
Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk at Cubist Castle because Cubist means things can be out of order and still be good, but the surprise is, its still not all that good
Oval - 94 diskont - pretty sure this was meant to be played on shuffle
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger - because if the album randomly shuffles into exactly reverse order, Willie Nelson appears and smokes weed with you

----------------

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

cda posted:

it's like having sex with one of your parents while heiling hitler and watching dubs instead of subs

dubs are great when the tv is too lores to legibly display subs

byob historian

cda posted:

before and after science is great on shuffle
after and before and after and after and before science

im def a monster but thats got nothing to do with this

byob historian

cda posted:

Listening to an album on shuffle is like reading the chapters of a book in a random order

theres quite a few books written for this type of reading you know

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
*unwrapping a deck of cards* ok guys, we're going to play texas hold 'em no shuffling, the way the bicycle card people originally intended.

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
if it's the first time through then shuffling can mess with whatever 'arc' or mood somebody's trying to establish, but if you know it already, w/e. shuffling is really good for separating songs from the 'chunks' they fall into otherwise. it's sometimes really revealing though, in a bad way

byob historian

i like the old school shuffle: put side 2 on before side 1

Darkman Fanpage
albums arent meant to be enjoyed in their entirety otherwise they would have been released as singles

tao of lmao

cda posted:

tao of lmao

This local internet radio station started resequencing albums and some of them are kind of neat. Like this example http://www.bdcwire.com/radiobdc-resequenced-the-bends/ Planet Telex as track 1 always bothered me so seeing the whole album in a different context is kind of neat.

Sensual Simian

summer jorts
I sit down with a new album and do my best to listen to it all the way through and only after many hours of reflection and pondering the meaning of the sounds and sometimes words in their intended order, only then do I venture into shuffle mode. whole albums are primarily the order which I listen to music and I am glad you asked this question.

cda

by Hand Knit
This week's New Yorker has an article on Richard Russell, the head of XL Recordings. Here's a part of it:

quote:

Along a large white wall on the building’s main floor, Russell has printed instructions, in vinyl lettering, about how to listen to music:

There is a proper procedure for taking advantage of any investment.

Music, for example. Buying music is an investment.

To get the maximum you must

LISTEN TO IT FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER OPTIMUM CONDITIONS.

Not in your car or on a portable player through a headset.

Take it home.

Get rid of all distractions, (even her or him).

Turn off your cell phone.

Turn off everything that rings or beeps or rattles or whistles.

Make yourself comfortable.

Play your CD.

LISTEN all the way through.

Think about what you got.

Think about who would appreciate this investment.

Decide if there is someone to share this with.

Turn it on again.

Enjoy Yourself.

----------------

deep dish peat moss

I used to do the Spotify radio thing to find new songs that I liked, then when I found something I would add that album to a playlist with several other albums I found at the same time, and I'd listen to it on shuffle while riding the train. Any songs that I really liked would get added to a playlist of songs I really like and I'd listen to that on repeat.

Spotify Radio only gives me the same like 3-4 artists over and over though so these days I don't find out about new music at all and I've been listening to the same 28 song playlist for a year

Snowy

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm old so it's either vinyl record sides or the whole wax cylinder.

Historical Wizards

quote:

Play your CD.

Something has gone horribly wrong

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
I got a spotify playlist of 800 songs that's meant to be pure shuffle. Abba, gwar, muse, meatloaf, lady gaga. It's got it all.

But there are times when I sit and just listen to an album start to finish. This is usually metal albums.

alnilam

I have a v strong pref for listening to the whole album and always have, to the point that i don't really like listening to the radio, though I appreciate the effort that a (good) dj puts into curating a good selection of songs in a good order

Impkins Patootie

depends on the music and what im feeling i guess ok

BIRDCON 2017

me, crying softly and whispering to my smartphone as I press shuffle: i'm so sorry

Impkins Patootie

tfw u say *play SUPER HITS OF THE 70S* with pride and the windows down at a red light and Rhiannon begins playing as u vibe as the ha8rs glare at u :minnie:

Impkins Patootie

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the album im working on now is a bunch of short pieces specefically to be played back on shuffle mode, so it will be different each time you listen to it. with just piece of song structure rather than whole songs, most tracks about 30 seconds long

This sounds like a pretty neat idea. Do you keep the beginnings and ends in the same tempo and key so they all sync up nicely, or is it supposed to have hard transitions between tracks?

And whole albums, no skipping. They're some good stuff in there that you can miss completely because you keep jumping around and never listen to the whole thing.

byob historian

tao of lmao posted:

Planet Telex as track 1 always bothered me

whoa i always thought that was radioheads best side 1 track 1, up there with like, five years and day of the eagle

byob historian

Dangerous Minority posted:

This sounds like a pretty neat idea. Do you keep the beginnings and ends in the same tempo and key so they all sync up nicely, or is it supposed to have hard transitions between tracks?

ive never been much of a songwriter, arranging and engineering feel like my strong points;
the plan is for it to be 99 tracks, some codas, some choruses, some bridges, &c, but no actual songs per se

the idea is that it will be a diff mashup just about every time

the exact tempo wont be maintained but itll all be nice and slow and chill

deep dish peat moss

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

ive never been much of a songwriter, arranging and engineering feel like my strong points;
the plan is for it to be 99 tracks, some codas, some choruses, some bridges, &c, but no actual songs per se

the idea is that it will be a diff mashup just about every time

the exact tempo wont be maintained but itll all be nice and slow and chill

Can I rap a 30 second verse on your album

Historical Wizards

Instead of watching movies or playing videogames, I just listen to the soundtrack in order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

I would be down for recommendations for unconventional/lesser known/more contemporary music that people think works particularly well as an album, where the whole is more than the sum of its parts

not knocking the well-known/famous/deliberately structured "concept" albums, it's just fun to discover stuff that would otherwise get overlooked

I'm not sure I'm the best person to give examples, but OK I'll give it a whirl in the spirit of reciprocity. I saw a piece recently on the 20th anniversary of that dog.'s "Retreat from the Sun" and it reminded me how much I like that album as an album. it is full of what are pretty recognizable elements of the band's sound (lush vocal harmonies juxtaposed with distorted guitar and dissonance, prominent string parts), and they help tie the album together musically, but there's also a sort of thematic . . . earnestness? wistfulness? playful melancholy? . . . it's like reading the diary of a smart, sardonic bipolar teenager, in a good way. and it's just loaded with crunchy pop hooks, and that makes it highly listenable imo.

I think it's even smartly structured, from the slightly sardonic optimism of the opener, "i'm gonna see you" (which was purportedly the main singer/writer's "love letter to the band") to the cheery mock-defeat of the closer, "until the day I die." and there's a definite . . . uh, centerpiece . . . in the middle, the grandiose "annie," probably my favorite track.

apparently that dog. is coming out with a new album this year! I'm excited, but for most people that's probably an occasion to say, "uh, who?"

ty nesamdoom!

• Locked thread