Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda

by Hand Knit
I never ever listen to albums on shuffle, except for that one oval album where thats what you're supposed to do

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
Listening to an album on shuffle is like reading the chapters of a book in a random order

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
it's like having sex with one of your parents while heiling hitler and watching dubs instead of subs

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
oh, you mean like, shuffling your entire music library, or just listening to an album at a time? that's different

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
if I'm driving or working out it's usually on shuffle. if I'm listening to listen, albums are what I do.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
just to be clear though, if you listen to an album on shuffle, you're a monster

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

just to be clear though, if you listen to an album on shuffle, you're a monster

notable exceptions:

They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18 because if you listen on shuffle, all the little bits of "Fingertips" get dispersed throughout which is probably the point (note, playing it on shuffle will not make the music good, or you less of a loser nerd who listens to baby music for adults)
Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk at Cubist Castle because Cubist means things can be out of order and still be good, but the surprise is, its still not all that good
Oval - 94 diskont - pretty sure this was meant to be played on shuffle
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger - because if the album randomly shuffles into exactly reverse order, Willie Nelson appears and smokes weed with you

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
This week's New Yorker has an article on Richard Russell, the head of XL Recordings. Here's a part of it:

quote:

Along a large white wall on the building’s main floor, Russell has printed instructions, in vinyl lettering, about how to listen to music:

There is a proper procedure for taking advantage of any investment.

Music, for example. Buying music is an investment.

To get the maximum you must

LISTEN TO IT FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER OPTIMUM CONDITIONS.

Not in your car or on a portable player through a headset.

Take it home.

Get rid of all distractions, (even her or him).

Turn off your cell phone.

Turn off everything that rings or beeps or rattles or whistles.

Make yourself comfortable.

Play your CD.

LISTEN all the way through.

Think about what you got.

Think about who would appreciate this investment.

Decide if there is someone to share this with.

Turn it on again.

Enjoy Yourself.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

I would be down for recommendations for unconventional/lesser known/more contemporary music that people think works particularly well as an album, where the whole is more than the sum of its parts

not knocking the well-known/famous/deliberately structured "concept" albums, it's just fun to discover stuff that would otherwise get overlooked

I'm not sure I'm the best person to give examples, but OK I'll give it a whirl in the spirit of reciprocity. I saw a piece recently on the 20th anniversary of that dog.'s "Retreat from the Sun" and it reminded me how much I like that album as an album. it is full of what are pretty recognizable elements of the band's sound (lush vocal harmonies juxtaposed with distorted guitar and dissonance, prominent string parts), and they help tie the album together musically, but there's also a sort of thematic . . . earnestness? wistfulness? playful melancholy? . . . it's like reading the diary of a smart, sardonic bipolar teenager, in a good way. and it's just loaded with crunchy pop hooks, and that makes it highly listenable imo.

I think it's even smartly structured, from the slightly sardonic optimism of the opener, "i'm gonna see you" (which was purportedly the main singer/writer's "love letter to the band") to the cheery mock-defeat of the closer, "until the day I die." and there's a definite . . . uh, centerpiece . . . in the middle, the grandiose "annie," probably my favorite track.

apparently that dog. is coming out with a new album this year! I'm excited, but for most people that's probably an occasion to say, "uh, who?"

dang. this album is distilled 90s.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
I own Zaireeka and have played it and it really is weird how CD players actually don't play at the same speeds so if you just let the album run over time it goes farther and farther out of sync

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
If it was led by miles Davis it wasn't a white guy band

cda

by Hand Knit

King of the Beach posted:

if u screw up tho im guessing it prob sounds like a car engine filled with pachinko balls instead of oil...

The only way to screw it up is not to be out of your mind on psychedelics before you hit play

cda

by Hand Knit
Wait, I thought of another way to screw it up, which is if you hit play and then accidentally kick over a big bucket of your own piss you've been saving for a couple of months and as you're flailing around you subscribe to a bunch of magazines you don't read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
In the liner notes, Wayne Coyne explicitly says not to do that, but he's not the boss of me

• Locked thread