Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

We’re back, with Rey’s rampage showing no signs of stopping. At the very least Daiya is only 6 kills away from overtaking Ichitaka.

Cash from the previous mission was spread all over the place, really: special note goes to our other Machinas, which I buffed just in case. Also, I also gave Rey an extra pip in his weapons, because I’m that shameless.

All Machinas are deploying as event units today, meaning our deployment slots are reduced to 15. Here’s how we’re going:
Dancouga/Hilde
Daiya/Quatre
Alto/Michel
Lee/Norza
Kenji/Kyo
Shinji/Rey
Kouji/Sawatari
Tetsuya/Canaria
Kira/Athrun
Goh/Yanma
Eida/Anna
Iczer-1/Iczer-2
Ichitaka/Hilda
Voltes/Combattler
Shinn/Yulianne

Also, make sure you deploy Sawatari, Yulianne or Wufei if you’ve been following the Linebarrel secret to this point.

Mission 37 – Flower of Steel

: I… I…!
: UWAAAAAAAAH!!

: The Linebarrel’s…?!
: Oh, no, he’s…!
: He’s done it... It’s truly awakened...
: EMIIIIiiiiii!!
: Kouichi’s heart is… crying…?
: But there’s something else… self-hatred over failing to protect Emi…
: Kouichi…
: A machine whose specs are influenced by the pilot’s emotions is nothing but inefficient… our world has no need for such a thing.

*The front MP Machina goes after the Linebarrel.*

: Kouichi, watch out!
: RAAAAAAARGH!!

: The enemy Machinas stopped…?!
: Is it one of its powers as the Machina meant to counter all machinas…? It can paralyze them with just a yell…?!
: HAAAAAAAH!!

: “I’ll be a Champion of Justice”… “I’ll keep everyone safe”… What a load of garbage…!
: I couldn’t even keep one girl standing right in front of me safe…! GOD drat IT!!

: UWAAAAAAAAH!
: This ain’t good – he’s totally lost it!
: Kouichi, please! Control yourself!
: Don’t let those emotions overwhelm you, Kouichi! It’ll destroy you…!
: Stop this, Kouichi!
: I’ll kill you… I’ll kill you…!
: He immobilized us. However…

: …?!
: We are already through analyzing that Machina.

: Hrk…!

: Their units are moving again!
: Any further conversation would be a waste of resources. Engage and destroy LOTUS.
: Roger… All will be joined as one…
: Urgh, is that all you can say? Ya sound like a total idiot…! Get over here – we’ll bring you back to reality!
: Col. Katsuragi… Kouichi’s condition is worrying but we cannot afford to retreat from this.
: Yeah, I know. Troops, provide cover for Kouichi and eliminate all nearby enemies!
: We’ll absolutely need the Linebarrel to destroy the interdimensional corridor, so keep it in one piece at all costs!
: Yes, ma’am! We’ll do this for Emi, too…!
: Kouichi, you have to get back to your senses…!
: I’ll kill you… I’ll kill you…!
: S…to…p…
: Don’t… become… like me…

Destroy Masaki, don’t lose any ships or Machinas. In truth, I’ve heard stories of how tough this mission could be, but I found there are plenty of ways to keep things nice and simple.
First and foremost, as you might expect, Kouichi will jump straight into the massive mob of enemies up ahead. Thankfully, he’ll auto-cast Strike, Zeal and Iron Wall, so he and the Linebarrel’s regen shouldn’t be in too big a danger unless you’ve been neglecting them for the entire game.

Still, that’s no reason not to be proactive about this (especially since he’ll steal a lot of your cash if you let him): rush your troops up top, cast Confuse the first turns when the incoming tide’s the strongest, and carve your way through the enemies.
This mission’s pretty much the same as the previous one, only you have to keep an eye on Kouichi. As always, drop the Strike Valleys ASAP to stop them from debuffing your armor (and Kouichi’s) and then start twoshotting the MP Machinas. With no MAPWs to worry about, you’ve a lot more freedom of movement.

Here he comes.

: EMIIIIII! GODDAMN IT!!
: Your performance may have increased, but there’ll be no victory for you here.

Most of the MP Machinas will stay put for the first turn, so Kouichi won’t get mobbed too hard while you’re still approaching.
Soubi’ll start attacking him right away, though, so you’ll want to do this straight away:

:siren: Secret Alert! :siren:
You must have Sawatari, Yulianne or Wufei convince Soubi. Afterwards, you’re free to wreck him with anyone.

: Soubi, what the hell happened…?! You always had your own reasons pushing you to keep on fighting, didn’t ya?!
: Ki…ll…
: Please… kill… me…! If you don’t… you’ll…
: Soubi… you…
: … Stop whining and be a man!
: Wufei…?
: Choosing your own death is the coward’s way out…! If you truly deem yourself a man, then stay true to your ideals and fight for as long as you draw breath!
: drat straight – pull yourself together, Soubi! We know you ain’t a enough of a wimp to let that junk control you…!
: Remember, Soubi! Remember who you really are… and what you wanted to do!
: What I… wanted to do…
: What I wanted was… to protect… the world she loved… throughout… her life…

: GWAAAAAAAAARGH!
: Noise detected in our collective consciousness. Source identified as Soubi Nakajima. Correcting.
: All must join the whole… so that all may know harmony…
: Soubi… I ain’t giving up on you! I promise we’ll bring your old self back!

And now we’re free to kill everything unabated. Masaki seems to always prioritize Kouichi, so that’s less of a problem for us.

: It’s… the power of his Flame is growing even higher?
: If you can feel that, then you should know what’s up: that’s what’s called the human heart! And it’s way more than just a cog in a machine!

Rinse! And! Repeat!

: Uurk… Sawatari… Yulianne…
: Soubi?! You’re back?!
: Then get your rear end off that thing and tag in with us! The Talisman’s waiting for ya too…!
: Thank… you… but I think…this is… the end… I can only… entrust things to you…
: A shame… I wish we could all… be together again…

: Sorry, Soubi…
: But we’ll see you again someday…

: Why do you still refuse the harmony we offer? The crux of your plan, the Linebarrel, is in tatters.
: … Emi’s told us about the world you want. She said there are no flowers there.
: Your information is incorrect. Our world simply preserves and maintains the flora that is deemed necessary.
: Only you don’t have any right to decide what is or isn’t necessary in any world! I’d never put up with that kind of arrogance!

: A kabuki dancer such as you should be well aware of the value of paradigms built upon the collective wisdom of others…
: Sorry, I don’t. I left my family precisely because I hated all that formality and tradition!
: All so that I could fly across the skies a free man, with no shackles around my hands!

: “Great”… “Hero”… both words are lacking in objectivity as standards of evaluation.
: Maybe to you, but not to humans. Those words mean a whole many things to us…!
: They inspire us, stoking our fighting spirit and keeping our hope alive!

: Iczer-1, Central’s collective consciousness can also provide the synchronicity you desire.
: Mine and Nagisa’s synchronization is no mere union of minds.
: The kindness within her turns to strength for me to wield… that is what our synchronization entails!
: Win this, Iczer-1! I believe in you!
: Here we come, Central!

: Using the Godannar to fight in the void of space… how utterly illogical.
: Still, it doesn’t jibe with me to just sit on my hands! I’m a pilot, so I’m ready to fight whoever, wherever!
: And that goes double when the enemy’s someone trying to trash our planet!

: Ain’t nowhere for you to run off to now! Tell us where the professor’s at!
: Doing so would be detrimental to Central. I cannot tell you.
: Moreover, victory is still squarely within our grasp. The remaining 540000 of our forces will emerge from the interdimensional corridor before long.
: Which only means we gotta take you out before that! And then we can take our time finding whatever hole GreAT’s hiding at!

: This is our world and we won’t let anything happen to it! Stop your attack…!
: But there’s always a limit to the strength of humans. The SEED and Zentran genetic factors could never truly safeguard the Earth Sphere.
: Which is just perfect for you, isn’t it? Your speech is just a smokescreen to hide what you’re really after: expanding your influence!
: I see that not even Central could be free of very human greed!

: We have to keep at it until Kouichi carries out his mission…!
: The probability of that happening is zero. Kouichi Hayase himself no longer has any hope for this mission’s success.
: That’s not true…! Even I’m still here, carrying on fighting!
: So I know that he will find a way to make it happen!

: Kenichi Go. We are the form the humans of our world wanted to assume.
: And do you think saying that’ll make me accept you forcing your “unity” onto others?! The truth of the matter is that you started a war with the New United Nations Government!
: Our expansion will lead to growth, and then to harmony.
: Hah! So said all conquerors in history!
: We never shied from fighting invaders before and that hasn’t changed to this day! We’ll end all of you here and now!

: I know Kouichi’ll pull through when all the chips are down!
: That human cannot even control his emotions. Why do you put so much stock in him?
: Why? That should be plenty obvious!
: …?
: It’s because he’s our friend!
: There is… no logic to your reasoning. Incomprehensible.
: Well, you better figure it out quick or this’ll end with our boots up your cyber-butts!

: Did… did we do it?
: …
: No, not yet…! That Machina’s still going!
: AAARGH! Why! Won’t! You! DIIIIIIIE?!
: Amagatsu Kizaki’s design philosophy is incomprehensible. Overcoming your obstacles by way of power born of raging emotions… It is an unrealistic strategy to rely on such dubious variables.

: We’ll now eliminate it.
: What—?! He merged with that crazy-huge thing?!
: If I had to guess, that is the primary unit of Central’s collective consciousness…

*Beep, beep!*

: These numbers are unbelievable…! It’s giving off energy readings on a massively different scale from any other mobile units!
: So you’re the Final Boss…! GOOD!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSERMcTGHcc

: Urgh…!
: Status on the Linebarrel?!
: Still alive, but he can’t—!
: drat it, Kouichi, stop this right now! Wake the hell up!

: All will be one with the whole… Resistance is futile… join us…
: Not good! He’s going to finish off the Linebarrel!
: KOUICHIII!

: Hrk…! We’re not dying again that easy…!
: Yajima…?!
: Calm down, Kouichi.
: I know what you’re going through, what it feels to hate yourself for failing to protect someone dear…! But you can’t lose sight of who you are!
: Emi didn’t save your life so that you’d go down this path! Open your eyes!
: …!
: Kouichi… I’m sure this isn’t what you really wanted to do…!
: I-I’m…

: Huh…?

: Kouichi...
: Ah… E…mi…?
: You made a promise to me, didn’t you…? That you’d be a Champion of Justice and keep this world safe…
: So what are you doing…? How could you lose all control simply because I died…? How can you call yourself a Champion of Justice?
: I’m sorry…
: You really are despicable… But that’s why you meant so much to Mr. Ishigami, to my brother… and to me… my dear Kouichi...

: Was that… a dream…?
: You’re a real tough girl, Emi… but you knocked some sense back into me.
: You let your emotions wrest control of your minds… Humans are, indeed, deeply flawed beings. That is why you must be managed by us…
: Yeah… humans might be as flawed as you say.

: But that doesn’t mean we need any of your management!
: Because as flawed as we are, we know how to work together! And when we do, there isn’t any problem we can’t overcome…!!
: … Looks like he’s back to his regular idiotic self.
: Still, that’s how he’s supposed to be!
: I’m really sorry, guys… I know I’m the stupidest guy around, but I wanna ask you for a hand… Help me keep this world safe…!
: Pshaw, you don’t even need to ask!
: Yeah, what kinda CHAMPIONS OF JUSTICE we’d be if we didn’t help out those in need?
: And, of course, it’s the Corps members’ duty to help out their leader!
: Same goes for those of the JUDA Special Forces!
: And his classmates, and his friends of LOTUS!
: Hmph… You now understand what your justice truly means. My strength is yours, if you’d have it.
: Everyone…
: You can never unite your minds like ours. However many of you there are, you will remain powerless before us.
: You’re selling humanity short, fatass…
: We’ll show you all the strength we have – the strength that’ll keep our world safe!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Central
Pilot Skills:
Machina-Human L9
Break Morale Limit
Commander L4
Prevail L9
Support Attack L3

Central is pretty much on part with Masaki in terms of stats, only with more HP and a focus on range and defense. He’s got a cone-shaped MAPW attack which can be dangerous… if not for the fact that it takes 130 morale to use and there are no enemies left. Central’s appropriately hard-hitting and bulky, too, but nothing that’ll survive one round of focused fire.
Just wait a turn to get your guys back and squish the Borg Hivemind into submission.

Finally, Kouichi now has full control of the Mode-C which sets his D-S.O.I.L. at Infinity (actually at the 150 cap), meaning he’ll be regenning a whole lot. His attacks get a power boost, but the better ones are rather EN hungry, so EN-Save could be good on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj2Fe5K6gfI
And here’s Central’s strongest attack. Now we go!

: You keep grumbling about growing and expanding… What’dya think you’ll find beyond all that?
: Everlasting peace. A world where no strife is born out of clashing values…
: That’s a great speech coming from the ones who attacked our world in the first place.
: And it’s pretty clear you won’t stop here. You’ll keep on invading other worlds in the name of your brand of “peace”.
: We’ll say this as many times as we gotta, Central…
: We are humans! It may look like we enjoy looking for trouble, but you're one pain in the rear end we never asked for!

: Humanity will ascend to newer heights if it joins with us. We represent your inevitable evolution…
: Maybe, but you know what? I just straight-up don’t like your whole shtick.
: If you want Earth, just come out and say it instead of trying to sell us all that crock!

: There’s nothing left for us to obtain from Amagatsu Kizaki’s engineering. You will be eliminated.
: Underestimate us at your peril, big guy!
: We’ve also been fighting alongside Kouichi and our friends all this time!
: You’ll see what the teamwork of JUDA’s Special Forces is all about!
: What I want to do now is just help everyone through this…! And I’m ready to face anything to make that happen!
: Your turn, Reiji! Put the cherry on top, and make it a good one!
: All of JUDA Special Forces will now engage the Central collective consciousness! I only have one order to our troops… do not die!

: Embrace us. Both humanity and Central wish for Earth to develop.
: A perfect society, where nothing is wasted… It is only under our guidance that humanity can grow with the scarce resources available.
: I already told you to get bent with that talk! A life where I can’t eat and have fun with my friends ain’t one worth living!

: We’ll need to cut all the way through the center of that thing… Stay strong ‘til we can get that done Linebarrel…!
: It’s useless… Your unit has nowhere near the energy required to destroy the interdimensional corridor.
: Doesn’t mean we’re just gonna give up and let you get us out!
: I’m gonna keep on fighting to the very last second! I can already picture Emi calling me “despicable” if I didn’t give this everything I got!

: The enemy Machinas have stopped moving!
: Kouichi!
: Yeah! I’m ending this!

: How were we defeated… by these flawed beings…? Is this truly due to… the strength of human emotions…? That which exceeds our… imagination…?

*If there were any enemies left, they’d be self-destructing!*

: The enemy Machinas are…!
: But you’ll rue what has happened here… Your own hands… will cause the end of this world…

: The giant Machina is confirmed gone…! We’re also not detecting any more gravitational anomalies…!
: We did it…!
: Our world is safe…!
: Emi… was I a real Champion of Justice…?

*Alarm!*

: What is it, Ms. Ogawa?!
: We’ve gravitational anomalies coming from Point Helios again!
: It seems the shockwave of that explosion has destabilized the dimensional structure in and around the corridor…!
: If it isn’t stopped, both worlds will obliterated at a quantum level and be fused together!
: N-No…!
: Then everything we’ve done was for nothing?!
: … I’ll go and cut straight through the center of that hole. That should stop it…!
: You can’t! Do you have any idea the enormous amount of energy it’d take for that?
: Besides, even if you do destroy the corridor, you might end up trapped inbetween the dimensions…!
: Stand down, boy! You still have much of your life ahead of you! A mission as dangerous as this falls to a dead man like me!
: No, I’ll handle this.
: Kouichi, you…
: “I don’t have the power to do anything”… For so long I believed that, living my life doing absolutely nothing…
: But what you need isn’t power… but just a strong wish to do something!
: And what I want to do is to keep this world and everyone in it safe… That’s why I’m going! That’s what my justice is about…!!
: … Rachel, initiate the Final Phase.
: But the complete Shangri-La was supposed to act as the medium for the energy…!
: The Vardant and I will take up that role…!
: Final Phase…? “Medium for the energy”?
: You got one last trick up your sleeves? Spill the beans, then.
: It’s an emergency program of Project JUDA involving gathering the energy of all Machinas and relaying it all into the Linebarrel…
: Then what are we waiting—
: But… as soon as it is finished, the Machinas’ D-S.O.I.L. will run completely dry, and the units themselves will grind to a halt… If that happens, they’ll be unable to sustain the Factors’ lives.
: …!
: That matters not… Link the Vardant to the Linebarrel…!
: Transfer all of mine and the Painkiller’s energy to Kouichi too…!
: I already died once… if this’ll help keep everyone else alive, then it’s not a bad deal…!
: Are you guys sure about this…? If you do that…
: You’re not the only one who wants to protect this world, Kouichi… We’re all ready to risk our lives to make it happen!
: Okay…! Then trust in me and I’ll make this happen…!!

: Good luck, Kouichi…!
: Here it goes…
: Project JUDA Final Phase… engaged…!!

:siren: :siren:

: Sorry to put this on you kids…
: Is there nothing we can do other than watch…?

: Huh… Central’s Machinas?!
: They’re still kicking?!
: Looks like the gravitational anomaly is also affecting the Machinas’ network. They’re out of control…!
: This isbad! Yamashita and the others are sitting ducks while they’re charging their energies!
: … Heh, guess there is something for us to do.
: This beloved Earth of Nagisa and our friends will not meet its end like this! It cannot!
: Then it’s time for us to roll up our sleeves and get back to work.
: Leave these things to us, Kouichi. You’re the MVP here, so make sure you close this off with style!
: Ichitaka…!
: You won’t be risking your lives alone. We’ll keep you safe, whatever it takes…!
: You heard ‘em, kid! So you guys worry only about wrecking that bigass hole!
: Sorry, guys…!
: We’ve four minutes left until the energy charge is finished! Hold on for just that long…!

Aaah, you didn’t think that was the end of that, did you? No, not quite.
Still, this can be simple enough… or it can be hard, depending on how you go at it. We’ve 24 teams of MP Machinas, and they’ll be trying their damnest to reach our Machinas and start cutting them down – and those guys can’t even cast spirts to defend themselves (if you haven’t kept them leveled/upgraded, you might be in trouble if you let the Machinas close in).

But they don’t move too far and their range is still hot garbage, so it’ll take them a bit to get there. Most of your guys are speedy enough to reach and twoshot them, so the order now is to run interference. Your main worry should be the southernmost Machinas, since those will likely ignore all of your nearby guys and run straight for the kill.
Spread out your guys, have Kira, Rey and whoever else can MAPW try and find a good spot in the middle of the western and eastern roads, setting up a couple killing grounds. If you want to risk making some extra money, downing all Machinas will summon forth a fresh batch. Your resources might be wearing thin, however, so, instead, I’ll advise simply to kill everything but one, surround it, and wait out the rest of the timer.

All Machinas lose 20% HP!*

: Gah…!
: You guys alright?!
: I-I’m fine! What about you all?!
: The Hind’s hanging in there…!
: Stay focused, Hayase! Our teammates will cover our backs!
: Skull Leader to all units! If the Final Phase falls through, it’ll mean not just the end of Earth but of everything as well!
: They’re taking a pummeling from the gravity waves coming out of Point Helios, too, so don’t let any of the rampaging Machinas reach them!
: Yes, sir! Not even one’s getting through here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QkPjdyJ-qY
Oh, and here’s Iczer-2 Full Power and her incredibly smug DK! :smugdog:

*The Machinas lose 30% HP!*

: Urgh…!
: drat it, even if we can keep the Machinas at bay, those waves are too much!
: This isn’t good… We’re not massing as much energy as we expected…!
: Kch…! Come on, Hind… Just a bit more…!!
: If we had two… no, if we had just one more Machina…!
: Then please use my life as well!
: This signal… It’s the Talisman?!

: The Talisman…?! You’re alive, Soubi?!
: I am. The Talisman saved me from the brink of death… this foolish man who lost himself to the darkness…
: And do you mean to come with us?
: I understand that I’ve no right to ask that… Still, it was only thanks to you that I’ve remembered the justice and the ideals I once had.
: So I want to use this life to help you… No, to help the entire world!
: His eyes… I think he’s speaking the truth.
: Whatever mistakes you made before, you just have to atone for them… Go, Soubi…!
: Now this is a nice twist…! We’ve got all the Machinas we need!
: You should be good to go with that! Just one more minute until the energy charge’s complete! Hang in there, everyone…!
: Just one last push, folks! And once this is wrapped up, we can all find a nice island on the Caribbean to kick back and relax…!
: Absolutely! We’ll have to bring Sheryl and Ranka, too…!
: But first we’ll make sure the Final Phase is a smashing success!

*And the last minute passes, the lone surviving Machina throwing a tantrum while we pin it down.*

: All Machinas are done charging their energies!
: Alright…! All troops, pull back or we’ll be caught in the shockwave of the corridor’s destruction!

: You’re up, Kouichi…!
: Yeah…! I swear I won’t let everyone’s lives and wishes be for—

*Alarm!*

: We’ve a new gravitational wave incoming! And it’s an even bigger one than before! Watch out!

x3

*The last MP Machina is destroyed!*

: It’s too strong…! The Linebarrel is in no state to handle something like that…!
: Kouichi, run…!
: Not happening! Come on, Linebarrel! Hang in there just a bit more…!

*A.T. Field noise!*

: Rrrrgh…!
: Shinji…?! Asuka, Rei?!
: What’re you three thinking?! Even your A.T. Fields might not be strong enough to handle those!

: You gotta pull back…! You guys’re gonna get caught in the middle…!
: N-No…!
: Shinji…?!
: You’ve helped me so many times before. I was always overwhelmed by everything around me, but you still helped me… Even when it meant getting yourself hurt…
: That’s why… now it’s my turn to help you, Kouichi…!!
: Shinji…
: And I couldn’t well hang back and do nothing when Stupid Shinji here’s decided to be all heroic…!
: This might be too much for a lone EVA, but the three of us together should be able to hold out for a bit…
: G-Go! Quick, Kouichi…! Destroy the corridor while we’re keeping the gravity waves back…!!
: Everyone’s lives and wishes are in your hands, Kouichi! Use them to save our world…!
: Go for it, Kouichi! Show us how strong a real CHAMPION OF JUSTICE is…!!
: Guys…!
: Hayase… even if you do feel the pain of others, if you cannot save them from that anguish, then there is absolutely no point… no point at all…!
: So go and protect this world Katou and Mr. Ishigami died keeping safe…!
: Just as the two of them did… I, too, believe you can be a Champion of Justice…!
: … I understand!
: Let’s go, Linebarrel…! The two of us, with the help of all our friends, will tear down that hole…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnJhMPjVdg
Kouichi: “I want to protect this world… and everyone who lives in it!” > “That’s what my justice is about!”
Reiji: “All units, transfer your energy to the Vardant!”
Miu: “Kouichi… take everything I have!”
Yajima: “I already died once… if this’ll help keep everyone else alive, then it’s not a bad deal!”
Yamashita: “Turning our lives into energy, just like real heroes, huh? Now that’s cool!”
Izuna: “Kouichi… I know you’ll pull this off!”
Soubi: “Kouichi, everything is in your hands!”
Reiji: “Urk…! Hrrgh…!” > “GOOOO!!”
Kouichi: “This… is our! JUSTICE!!”

: Did… did it work…?
: The Hub Dynamo and the interdimensional corridor have disappeared… our connection with the Highly-Probable World is cut-off… but…
: We’ve lost… the Linebarrel’s signal… And the remaining Machinas… have gone completely silent…
: N-No…
: You’re kidding me, right…? KOUICHIIII!!

: … Wa… up… Ko…
: …Hm… E…mi…?
: ...! Emi?!
: Good morning, Kouichi…
: Emi… how are you…?!
: The Linebarrel saved me using what little energy it had left…
: It did… I’m so happy to see you again, Emi… I really am…!
: Kouichi…

*Some time later…*

: But what are we going to do now…? The Linebarrel’s used all of its energy, so we can’t cross the dimensional boundaries…
: At least the battle’s over, so we can think this through nice and easy… I mean, there’s still GreAT around and we don’t know where the Frontier flew off to, but our friends can handle that…
: The battle isn’t over quite yet…

: Wh-What’s that Machina…?!
: (That Machina… is it a Linebarrel from another universe…?)
: The battle is yet to end… there is one whose song of destruction beckons chaos into the world…

*Tweeeep.*

: Huh… an image just popped in my head… it’s… space? And is that the Frontier Fleet…?
: It’s awful… the Vajra are attacking… everyone’s gone…
: What you see is likely to happen in the near-future. However…

: The Linebarrel’s D-S.O.I.L.’s back online…! And the Linebarrel’s readying a dimensional warp by itself…?!
: Wings and the wishes they bear turn the song of destruction into a song of hope…
: What does that mean…? Just what should we do…?
: The future isn’t set in stone… What matters isn’t what you should do… but what you want to do…
: Those words are…!

: Who are—

: … Are you satisfied with this, R335?
: Yeah. I’m sure they’ll keep this universe safe…
: And didn’t I tell you not to call me that? My name is…

: We saved the world but… but this isn’t a win… not at all…!
: Kouichi… Emi… everyone…

*Beep, beep.*

: …! We’re detecting the Linebarrel…!
: Huh…?!

: The Linebarrel…!
: Hey guys… we’re back…!
: Kouichi Hayase and Emi Kizaki, reporting for duty.
: They’re both alright!

*Bloop.*

: That’s…?!

: Emi!
: And it’s not just Kouichi and Emi… Satoru… Miumiu… they’re all alive…!!
: Everyone’s alright… thank goodness…!
: Well, dang, they cheated death once again…
: Maybe God’s decided to let us have this little miracle?
: No… it was no miracle. Their spirit and determination made this happen…
: ... To think I’d be given life again... Is it still possible for a man like me to protect something, I wonder…?
: Now that is a nonsensical question…
: He’s right, Soubi. You already helped protect something, no?
: Us… and this world, see.
: Soubi Nakajima, was it? The Katou Organization’s now working together with us. That sad, Cmdr. Katou himself is gone, so what you’ll do is entirely your decision.
: I… I also wish to accompany you. That is, if you’ll all allow it…
: Eh, why not? I’m feeling a pretty gentle aura coming from him.
: And the fact is that, without you, the Final Phase would’ve ended up in smoke.
: So stick your chest out, why don’t you? You’re a lifesaver, for crying out loud!
: … Thanks… all of you…
: (I’m afraid I must carry on living in this world for a while longer… Please wait for me until then, Kaoru…)
: A Champion of Justice…
: Reiji…?
: So many people believed Hayase would come to be a Champion of Justice… and, indeed, he protected this world…
: A Champion of Justice only appears when the people believe one to exist…

: And here he comes! Here’s the hero of the day!

*Door opens.*

: Th-Thanks…
: Jeez, where’d you go back then? You had us all worried sick!
: Seriously. If you were alive, you should’ve gotten in touch and let us know!
: Come on, you know I couldn’t get in touch with anyone!
: Speaking of that, how did you manage to find your way back to our world?
: Well, the truth is…

*Fast forward!*

: You saw the Frontier Fleet destroyed by a Vajra attack…?
: Sure that wasn’t just a hallucination or something…?
: The two of them having the exact same one’s a bit strange, no…? And I’m also a bit worried about what that Machina said…
: The vision you two had may just be quite real…
: What do you mean…?
: We’ve just received word that the Frontier Fleet’s found and arrived at the sector with the Vajra Homeworld. Combat’s already started by the looks of things.
: What…!
: And there’s more. On that same sector… they’ve detected the Fold Waves produced by Ranka’s song…
: ?! Ranka’s song…?!

Couple of convos we couldn’t get due to the limited deployment slots:

: In your debut battle your inefficient approach put your allies in quite the predicament. The best way for you to avoid repeating such missteps is to join us…
: You’d deny all the possibilities of someone’s future over one mistake?!
: More often than not mistakes are repeated. Central will not overlook such a risk.
: You just don’t get anything, do you?! I’ve grown after meeting Nagisa and the others! I’m not who I was back then!

--

: Masaki Sugawara… rather, the Central collective consciousness. There is no future for you.
: A prediction from the Zero System…? It will not come true.
: No, I don’t need to ask Zero to predict something as clear as that. And the reason I know… is because I’m a human…!

--

: Join… us…
: I’ll put you out of your misery… that’s the least I can do for you…!

--

: We’ll close the book on this ourselves… we owe it to you as your old teammates!
: Forgive us…!
: Soubi… we all wanted to talk to you again…!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 3, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

: And do you think saying that’ll make accept you forcing your “unity” onto others?! The truth of the matter is that you started a war with the New United Nations Government!

Lacking a "me" or "us" between make and accept.

quote:

u: Why? That should be plenty obvious!

u.

Brunom1 posted:

: The Hub Dynamo and the interdimensional corridor have disappeared… our connection with the Highly-Probably World is cut-off… but…

Highly-Probable, I believe.

quote:

: The vision you two had may just be quite real…
: What do you mean…?
: We’ve just received word that the Frontier Fleet’s found and arrived at the sector with the Vajra Homeworld. Combat’s already started by the looks of things.

Is Jeffrey there or sending a transmission? You switch between both portraits here.

Minor corrections aside...

Brunom1 posted:

: You’re not the only one who wants to protect this world, Kouichi… We’re all ready to risk our lives to make it happen!

Why does she get to say this? She isn't a Factor! She isn't risking her life here, Izuna is. What a self-centered monster. What's next, being responsible for her father's murder and then being happy her brother died so he won't have to keep the guilt of doing the deed with him?

Also the Final Phase is...ugh, I hate this. It's cool. I like it. It never happened in the manga, nor should it have, but it looks cool here at least. That may be because of Moritsugu's elaborate facial animations but I like it. I find it hilarious how obvious it is you could not get Soubi for it though, he never appears with the rest, only on his alone moment, and his beam is right in the middle so it'd be very easy to take out and still keep symmetry.

I still dislike all the plot of this awful adaptation including changing a morally complex series with an interesting plot into a generic assimilation plot. At least it's finally over. And that last part with alternate Emi and Koichi (or at least I think they are?) came straight out of nowhere here and I doubt it was much better in the anime proper.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Saved by deus est...machina? Random hyper-space encounter?
And if I remember correctly, if you don't get the secret Talisman will still show up at this point to lend its energy. It will just be on auto-pilot.

Brunom1 posted:

: Stand down, boy! You still have much of your life ahead of you! A mission as dangerous as this falls to a dead man like me!

Apart from looking very alive to me, this isn't your plot, totally-not-Zechs

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

All fixed.

And, yes, the scene with the alternate Kouichi and Emi does happen in the anime, though the two couples only spotted each other at a distance and never really spoke. That was all L expanding the scene.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I was gonna asked if we were done with secrets, actually, when you were asking for more posts. A little late to be getting more dudes, but I guess The Soubinator is.... Probably not worth the wait? Onward to Brera!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

I was gonna asked if we were done with secrets, actually, when you were asking for more posts. A little late to be getting more dudes, but I guess The Soubinator is.... Probably not worth the wait? Onward to Brera!

To be fair, Soubi's worth it if you like big numbers as Final Phase with him ups the attack power to incredible 12000 (isn't that around what Ideon Gun had in Alpha 3?), making it the strongest move in the game by a mile.

I'll try and show off the full version with the DK next mission... meaning I'll need to find room for all the Factors.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Wait, what? They can do that Spirit Bomb poo poo that literally killed them for a minute again!?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

Wait, what? They can do that Spirit Bomb poo poo that literally killed them for a minute again!?

This is a Super Robot Wars, I'm not sure what you expected. Of course the big combination move can be used again.

At some point you just have to segregate gameplay from story.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

It's always nice to see Shinji get a chance to be a big damned hero like that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Yep, it's a bog-standard combination attack now, although it does require you to have all the Machinas next to each other to use it.

And yeah, this mission is mostly just a pain if you're blindsided by the gimmick. The Machinas are very vulnerable in the tail end of the mission, especially if you haven't bothered to upgrade them, and they'll fall real easy if you let anyone get close.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This stage is infamous. I remember a lot of people complaining about it when L came out, because they neglected the Linebarrel units all game. It amuses me that Wufei is basically more of a Linebarrel cast member than a Wing character.

Brunom1 posted:

To be fair, Soubi's worth it if you like big numbers as Final Phase with him ups the attack power to incredible 12000 (isn't that around what Ideon Gun had in Alpha 3?), making it the strongest move in the game by a mile.

I'll try and show off the full version with the DK next mission... meaning I'll need to find room for all the Factors.

By far my least favorite thing about L is that you almost never get to see the DKs unless you go out of your way to use finishers on enemy grunts. The least this game could've done for the finale is let us watch the end boss explode after getting cutscene'd like that, for crying out loud!

I'm fairly sure that the Alpha 3 Ideon Gun is locked to always 9999 base power, which is the highest in that game.

Lastly,

quote:

You really are despicable… But that’s you meant so much to Mr. Ishigami, to my brother… and to me…
Probably missing a "why" between "that's" and "you".

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Featuring guest appearance by Deus Ex Machina, who will be making a much more violent appearance in UX.

I'm not sure why they bothered, really. It's a much more poignant ending if the heroes actually die.

...did they actually die in the anime? I suspect Kouichi and Emi live if for no other reason than to have something resembling a happy ending that shits all over the moral of the story, but what about the rest of the cast?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Materant posted:

...did they actually die in the anime? I suspect Kouichi and Emi live if for no other reason than to have something resembling a happy ending that shits all over the moral of the story, but what about the rest of the cast?

Nah, everyone survived just fine - except Soubi, because the anime really hates him.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

As was pointed out to me, this is SRW. If it wasn't Linebarrel itself, it'd be an OG there in the space between dimensions.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The issue I have with Final Phase is that for all the build-up around the attack and its damage output, it is sadly impractical in the long run. To use it, you have to give up 7 slots just for the component robots when some of those slots can put to better use. By this point in the game, Painkiller and Deceive are probably only around due their Repair and Resupply modules (respectively) and/or their Pair-Up bonuses, Apparition and Hind-Kind are pure squaddie fodder, and Talisman (if you get it) brings little outside of an extra level 1 Command aura. Thus, the only worthwhile Machina are Linebarrel and Vardant, and that's if the player is using them. The second major problem comes after using the attack; Final Phase will tank everyone's D-S.O.I.L. into the ground like Rachel says and make the Machina almost useless. Except for Linebarrel because it has Super Protagonist PowersTM and will be able to recover its D-S.O.I.L. much faster. So, not only do you fill out 7 roster slots with units just for one attack, but then you practically lose 6 of those units after using the one attack for a period of time thanks to game mechanics. Basically, to get most out of it, Final Phase should be put to use exactly as its name implies: the very last attack you throw at a boss unit so you don't have to worry about the drawbacks.

Anyhew, Brunom. You might be needing this for upcoming events. Because reasons.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

The issue I have with Final Phase is that for all the build-up around the attack and its damage output, it is sadly impractical in the long run. To use it, you have to give up 7 slots just for the component robots when some of those slots can put to better use. By this point in the game, Painkiller and Deceive are probably only around due their Repair and Resupply modules (respectively) and/or their Pair-Up bonuses, Apparition and Hind-Kind are pure squaddie fodder, and Talisman (if you get it) brings little outside of an extra level 1 Command aura. Thus, the only worthwhile Machina are Linebarrel and Vardant, and that's if the player is using them. The second major problem comes after using the attack; Final Phase will tank everyone's D-S.O.I.L. into the ground like Rachel says and make the Machina almost useless. Except for Linebarrel because it has Super Protagonist PowersTM and will be able to recover its D-S.O.I.L. much faster. So, not only do you fill out 7 roster slots with units just for one attack, but then you practically lose 6 of those units after using the one attack for a period of time thanks to game mechanics. Basically, to get most out of it, Final Phase should be put to use exactly as its name implies: the very last attack you throw at a boss unit so you don't have to worry about the drawbacks.

Anyhew, Brunom. You might be needing this for upcoming events. Because reasons.

To be fair, support squaddies are really solid in this game, and the Linebarrel support-types are really solid. Painkiller gives really good PU bonuses, Deceive's morale-decreasing attack is always nice to have around, and there's no shortage of long-range fighters to pair Apparition with. The problem is the other two. Talisman is pretty lackluster for a late-game secret, and is unlikely to find a slot in your party unless you really like Soubi or his PU bonus. Hind Kind doesn't even have that going for it - its PU bonuses aren't terribly useful and it's basically useless for fighting at this point in the game, it just can't hit anything without Strike. More importantly, there's plenty of non-Machina units from Linebarrel that are also fighting for those deployment slots; all of them are capable squaddie fighters, and one of them is Jack Smith.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Here we are again, having cleared the Linebarrels finale, leaving only the Vajra left to be sorted out. Has there ever been an SRW player that went “Oh, boy, Macross Frontier”? But we gotta do what we gotta do. Rey is still king and I’m 100% sure he’ll continue to dominate throughout these last four missions.

The game DID decide to throw you a bone if you recruited Soubi, as the Talisman already comes 50% upgraded and his bonus is pretty dang good: Armor +150, 1500 Barrier, +20% Exp and +20% money. You can easily fit that in any Super Robot team – especially ones that aren’t too EN hungry, like the Rushbird.
And I still had plenty of cash left, so I also got the Vardant (crit rate +20, +25% chance to dodge attacks) and Hilde’s Taurus (+20% money, armor +150, 1500 Barrier, HP+1000) up to 50% as well. Hiroshi’s slated up next.

As you might expect, Alto’s deploying as an event unit, so here’s how we’re going:
Dancouga/Hilde
Daiya/Deceive
Kouichi/Quatre
Lee/Norza
Kenji/Kyo
Shinji/Rey
Kouji/Sawatari
Tetsuya/Canaria
Kira/Athrun
Iczer-3/Ken (this is actually a bad call because both the Blade Gainer and Dannar only have a B in Space if they’re not in Twin Drive. I didn’t remember that, though)
Goh/Yanma
Eida/Anna
Iczer-1/Iczer-2
Ozma/Luca
Ichitaka/Mil
Voltes/Combattler
Yuu/Heero
Shinn/Yulianne
Yamashita/Yajima
Reiji/Soubi

Let’s wrap this up quick!

As it turns out, Brera had been under Grace’s leash this whole time and she laughs at him even thinking that he could run off with Ranka, his sister! Was his plan to escape her grasp and run off elsewhere? Tsk, tsk – he ought to know that he is, and always will be, her puppet. All that remains now is to put the finishing touches on the “Little Queen”.
Ranka herself isn’t looking too spritely, as Brera reports that they’ve already analyzed 92.3% of the Vajra network’s protocols. Grace sneers at how it used to be impossible to make sense of those protocols in the past, and all they needed to analyze it was to use Ranka’s mind as a medium.

Regardless, Brera asks Grace to return to the Dulfim and they spot the Frontier fleet off in the distance. Grace points out to Ranka the invaders about to attack the Vajra homeworld and tags them as the enemy. It falls on her and her brother to defend this beautiful world!
Brera agrees, saying it’s the only way they can atone for what happened and Ranka slowly confirms.

Back to us, Lam confirms to Alto that they’re detecting Fold Waves produced by Ranka – Aimo is playing throughout that sector of space. Seems to Kouichi that Ranka’s song was the “song of destruction” they were warned about but Alto yells that that’s absolutely not true.
Still, Haruno argues that her song DID, at time, beckon and even energize the Vajra. We saw it happen at her Mihoshi show, even, as Michel remembers. On the other hand, Alice points out, she often CALMED the buggers down as well. As Emi ponders that bit where the song of destruction turns into a song of hope, the fact remains that the Frontier Fleet is in major trouble. We can’t let Kouichi’s vision of it being destroyed become real.

Now, Luca says we’re getting ready to go after the Frontier by following the path of Fold Waves straight to the Vajra homeworld – combat’s likely already occurring. Even if we don’t like Mishima, we can’t well sit still and let the Fleet’s civilians get slaughtered. And we need to save Ranka as well, as she’ll likely be in quite the fix even with Brera “escorting” her.
One added thing that does have Misato worried, however, is how that Machina told Kouichi that the “song of destruction beckons chaos into the world”. That might be a warning of how, if we don’t control this quickly, it’ll mean danger not just to the Frontier but to everywhere else as well.

And Lady Une gets on the phone to agree with her: with the Vajra’s confirmed ability to travel unabated between parallel worlds, if they’re antagonized, it’s quite possible they’ll go on a rampage across both universes – worst case, across all of them. So Une wants us to get ready to deploy and engage depending on how things are looking on-site.
And Mina lets us know that we’ve just gotten a bead on the Vajra homeworld, so we’ll be warping straight into the fray in a bit – we should make it in good time to save the Frontier, Kentarou hopes. Izuna does wonder if we can actually stop the Vajra, and not even Shizuna can refute his worries since we might not have any option other than fighting them.
Will we need to kill all the Vajra? That’ll be a tall order since this IS their homeworld – we should expect them to be extremely numerous. We got a small taste of it back at the Island 3 battle, and Trowa’s expecting a very tough fight as there’s only so much anyone can do when 100 enemies pop out for every one shot down.

Well, in case the Vajra show themselves to be less-than-friendly, Sheryl will be on board to help us out. She remembers what Mishima told her, that the V-Type Infection means her song will now affect the Vajra. True, but Quatre and Luna worry about how straining it’d be on her – she should rest and let us handle it.
Alto knows telling Sheryl not to do it won’t actually work, and she’s glad he knows her so well. Before she leaves to prepare for when the battle begins, she turns to Alice and figures she should leave her stash of “Witch Craft” medicine with her.

As Sheryl takes off, Alice is taken aback by what she sees: there shouldn’t be this much medicine left. Is she trying to make her condition worse? A quick search of her data banks shows that that’s exactly what Sheryl’s doing. See, previously compiled data suggests that the more the V-Type Infection inches closer to actually killing her, the greater the effect her voice will have on the Vajra.
Rey ponders how much pain she must be right now, but Kyo worries more than just that: Sheryl’s essentially on her deathbed, so who knows how afraid she must be.

: I don’t have much time left… but it won’t be long before he can save Ranka…! Please let me hold on until then…!
: Sheryl, I’m coming in.
: (…!! I can’t let him see me like this… I’m Sheryl… I need to be that cheerful, unflappable Sheryl Nome he knows…!)

*Door opens.*

: Sheryl…
: You’re worried about me singing, aren’t you?
: Truth be told, yeah…
: Well, I’m also worried about you.
: And if I’ve any way I can be useful, then I want to be out there fighting with you.
: Sheryl… I’ll make it back. I swear I’ll survive and return.
: Because I’ve come to realize… that people can’t fly by themselves. They shouldn’t.
: … You’ve finally realized that, huh? Shows how slow you are.
: Hah… I won’t deny it… Sheryl, I—
: … Don’t. Whatever you might be about to say, I don’t think I’d be able to sing after hearing it.
: And I’m guessing this battle will have us both staring death in the eye, right, Alto…?
: Yeah… both of us will…
: Then make sure you come back in one piece – and with Ranka in tow, of course. Once all that’s done, then I’ll hear what you have to say.
: Sheryl…
: And don’t you forget, Alto: it’s not everywhere you find a great woman like me…!
: Heh… You got that right…!

Mission 38 – True Begin

: These bugs are getting too uppity for my tastes…! Are all units equipped with the MDE Warheads?
: Yes, sir!
: Then hold nothing back! Don’t let go of your triggers, men!

: Yes, that’s it…! We can win this even without their songs!

*Beep, boop.*

: Hhmhmhm… You seem quite pleased with your new toys.
: Who is it?!
: It’s been a while, hasn’t it, “Your Excellency”? I trust the president’s chair is to your liking?
: Grace O’Connor?!
: (It can’t be…! I ordered her put down after she stopped being useful…!)
: Hmhmhmhm…

: Wh-What…?! Ranka Lee… A giant Ranka Lee?! In space?!

: What… The Vajra are being led by Ranka’s song…?! What is the meaning of this, Grace?!
: I’m afraid the galaxy only has room for one ruler… and that is not you.
: Mr. President!
: Don’t give them an inch! Use the anti-ship warhead, the Dimension Cutter!

: There are too many of them, Mr. President! We can’t…!
: drat you straight to Hell, Ranka Lee…! You accursed Vajra puppet!

: Is the Frontier Fleet safe?!

*Looks at the Frontier.*

: By the looks of things, their vanguard ships are already down, with only the Battle Frontier hanging in there…
: Captain, the Frontier Fleet is standing by at the rear of the sector! There aren’t many, but we’re also detecting several ships around Island 1!
: What possessed you to take on this insane quest, Mishima…?!
: Hey, hold on! Is that—
: Ranka…?!
: What the hell?! But I thought she was only ¼ Zentran…
: Visual data confirmed… she’s over 1000m tall.
: That ain’t a Zentran – that’s on the level of a legit giant!
: Regardless, our first priority is to have the Battle Frontier leave this area. Cpt. Welder, get in touch with them!
: This is a message to the Battle Frontier as well as all NUNS forces! Stop engaging and evacuate this sector immediately!
: The Macross Quarter…!
: Do not listen to him, Captain! That’s our promised land – our Frontier – dead ahead! Carry on with your attack!
: Yes, sir…!
: Stop! That man is a traitor who killed President Glass! He has no right to give you any orders!
: !
: Killed the former president? What in blazes is he on about…?
: Yeah; big surprise there, eh?
: And we’ve evidence to prove our claims. Monica!
: Yes, sir!

*Beep!*

: This data is…!
: You can’t talk your way out of this one, Leon! It’s time you paid for murdering my father!
: Th-There must be some sort of mistake! I-I’m—
: Arrest this man at once!

*Grab!*

: Wh-What are you doing?! Unhand me! Unhand me this instant!!

*Off he goes.*

: … Captain, take this not as advice but as a request from a compatriot: let us handle this battle and retreat from this sector right away!
: U-Understood… and I’m sorry…!

: Your father can rest easy now, Cathy.
: Thanks, but we can celebrate later. Right now we have…
: To do something about Ranka and her Vajra-controlling song…
: LOTUS, engage and repel the Vajra from this area. We need to make sure the Frontier Fleet is safe!
: Roger!
: And, Alto, we’re leaving Ranka up to you. Go save her!
: Ranka…! I’ll be coming back with you or not at all!

First order of business is to have Alto close in on Ranka and use the Convince command on her. Losing him, a ship or outright destroying Ranka is a game over, so focus on the Vajra first and build up morale.
The buggers don’t bring anything new to the table, as accurate and dodgy as you’ve come to expect, especially since Ranka has a command aura that can further boost their numbers – deal with them accordingly and don’t be afraid to pop a Confuse or two. FYI, if you get their numbers under 12 before talking to Ranka, they’ll just respawn so you can use this to farm some cash (the Vajra aren’t worth much, mind).

Ranka Lee
Pilot Skills:
Break Morale Limit
Commander L4
Prevail L7
Attack Combo L3

Giant Ranka is actually pretty powerful: big stats and HP and her skills are pretty much everything she needs to be a pain. She only has two attacks, both range 1-7, and the MAPW version hits just like Canaria’s MAPW (7 alternating lines), so approach from where she can’t blast you.
All things considered, though, she’s just a big blob of HP and can’t dodge worth a drat, so her high HP pool will go down fast enough (especially once you debuff her armor).

: RANKAAAAAA! Can you hear me?! Can you hear us?! We’re coming to get you!

When the second enemy phase rolls over…

Ranka is still singing and Grace gets on the mic to tell the screaming Alto that the girl only listens to her now. As Kouichi recognizes the singers’ manager, Grace notes that both Ranka and Brera act only to serve her cause now – they won’t hear our cries. Nagisa and Iczer-2 see where she’s getting at: mind control.
Oh, but this was the only way for Ranka to atone for her crimes. She didn’t know what to do, so Grace lent her a hand with that. When Ozma asks what she means by that, Grace pokes fun at Ranka’s self-proclaimed brother being so clueless. Did he never question why the girl’s song worked with the Vajra despite her not having the V-Type Infection?
Well, we don’t really know much about the things – as Eida notes, we’ve just been fighting back as they attacked. Well, here’s the deal: the Vajra are transdimensional beings who use Fold Wave-emitting intestinal bacteria as a way to relay information to one another. When humans are infected by those bacteria, however, it doesn’t attach itself to their own intestine – rather, it goes straight to their brain, and eventually kills them. That’s what the V-Type Infection entails.

However, if one is infected by the Vajra bacteria while still inside the womb, the child and the bacteria will turn to coexist… and that is what happened with Ranka. The girl’s mother didn’t realize what had happened, and it led to the tragic events of 11 years ago, when the Vajra attacked and destroyed the 117th Research Fleet. As Cathy remembers it, said fleet was tasked with capturing the then-mysterious Vajra and researching them – after the bugs destroyed it, Ranka and Ozma were the only survivors (which is what Ozma meant when he spoke of failing to protect Ranka’s family before).
But that doesn’t explain to Ozma how Grace says that’s Ranka’s fault. Simple: the entire incident happened because the girl unwittingly summoned the Vajra with her songs. All the human and Vajra blood that was spilled is on her hands – even Grace had her body destroyed in the incident, which forced her to take on a fully mechanical one. Of course, she only made it here because of that, so maybe it was for the best…

: You bitch… Then you revealed everything to Ranka and used her trauma to control her, didn’t you…?!
: Hmhmhm… I appreciate what a quick study you are.
: But I think that’s quite enough talk. Go, Little Queen… show them all your power.
: Hrk…! The Fold Waves are getting stronger?!
: Sis, look!

:siren: :aaaaa: :siren:

: The Vajra are going crazy…! Is Ranka’s song doing that?!
: It’s not just her! The Vajra Network is also amplifying her voice!
: drat it, is there no way for us to get through to her?!
: Don’t lose hope, Shinn!
: He’s right, Shinn! Call out to her!
: O-Okay…! RANKAAAAAAAAA!
: You too, Luna!
: I’m sure you never wanted to sing songs of destruction, right?! RANKAAAAA!!
: Call her too, Alto! If your voice can’t reach her, then no one can!
: Ranka! RANKAAAAAAAA!

Eh, that’s fine.

: There’s too much we don’t know about Ranka’s current status… but if her song is energizing the Vajra, then we can’t let up our offensive…
: Still, I’m positive that Alto will be instrumental in stopping the giant Ranka’s song.
: Alto, please hurry…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5cw2WVmxs
Here’s her only attack. And when their numbers go below 12…

Even more Vajra spawn, and Dearka’s getting worried: we’re as outnumbered as we were against Central. Miriallia yells at him not to whine on an open channel – what if troop morale starts tanking because of him?
Regardless, Alto needs to hurry and save this captive princess – if Ranka can’t count on any knight, then another princess will do!

And on the third player phase…

: This ain’t looking good… we need to do something about that song or the Vajra’ll just keep getting rowdier.
: … If she’ll use Ranka’s song to destroy the world, then I’ll stop her even if I have to use force… even if I have to take her life…! That might be all I can do for her—
: Heeey! Don’t give up before you even try, stupid!
: Sheryl!
: Took me a bit, but I’m finally ready to go. And more importantly…
: I told you to come back with Ranka in tow, didn’t I?! I’ll lend you a hand, so you go and save her!
: Sheryl…! Sorry, I’m on it!
: Yeesh, what a pain you are…

*Whip-crack!*

: … Come on, everyone! Listen to my song!!

: …! The Vajras’ movements have grown slower!
: New Vajra are arriving at a third of their previous rate! We’re also not seeing any of the coordination they were previously showing!
: Now’s our chance to thin out their numbers! Head over to Ranka, Alto!
: Roger!

Done.

: Ranka, pull yourself together! They’re using you to try and kill us!

: Stay away from my sister!

: I won’t let worms like you hurt her!
: “Sister”?! You’re her… No, that doesn’t matter! Weren’t you supposed to be protecting her?!
: I am, both Ranka and this planet…
: This is…! Alto, we’re picking faint Fold Comm Waves coming from that Valkyrie!
: And it’s linked to…

*Looks at the second plane.*

: There! The signal’s coming from that other Valkyrie!
: You’re also being controlled…?! Wake the hell up, Brera! Ranka doesn’t want any of this!
: Stop your attack right now! If you don’t, I…!
: Our orders are to protect the Vajra homeworld from you invaders! Scatter across the edges of the galaxy!

: Gaah!

: Alto!
: …to…Alto…
: That voice…! Ranka… Ah, I’ve got it…!
: Alto, you alright?!
: Y-Yeah! But never mind me: that’s not actually Ranka! Everyone take that fake out!
: A-Are you serious?! You really want us to do that?!
: I heard her voice loud and clear...! That’s not the real Ranka!
: If you’re so certain, then we needn’t pull our punches. All units focus your attacks on that false idol!
: I won’t allow it…!

So now we need to wreck Ranka (a shame L doesn’t let us see DKs, so this is hardly as fun as it is in Z2). In the meantime, Kira guns down about half the Vajra flock for a nice payday.

: You won’t be using Ranka’s image for your schemes anymore!
: All LOTUS units, the sooner we expose what’s actually behind that illusion, the sooner we can end this and protect the Fleet from the Vajra! Get to it!

Bam.

: Alright! The singing’s stopped!
: The Ranka image is fading…!
: Come on and show us your true face!

: That’s… the Battle Galaxy?!
: “Galaxy”… as in Sheryl’s home?! But I thought it was destroyed by the Vajra…!
: (You called them over to this world, Grace…?!)
: But their jig is up now that they’re out in the open. Once you spot a ghost, you can go and cast him out!
: The Lt. is right. Even if we must face the Galaxy, retreat is not an option!
: This is it, troops. They’re the ones confusing the Vajra – destroy them!

The Battle Galaxy’s got all of Giant Ranka’s skills, only also picking up Shoot Down (which it can trigger rather often) and a level in Prevail. As you might expect, it’s very bulky with that size, Pinpoint Barrier and Prevail combo, and it’s attacks are all very long range and powerful. Keep an eye out for its Macross Cannon MAPW as well – it hits in the same pattern as the Quarter’s.
As always open with Yulianne and go to town. If you didn’t burn all your SP in these first three turns (and you shouldn’t), it can still easily be destroyed in one round.

But we’ve spent some of our attackers this turn, so we’ll clear out some of the last Vajra.

: I’ll protect Ranka and this planet! Scatter across the edges of the galaxy, invaders!

Once you get the Galaxy under 50% HP, or kill enough mooks…

: Where are you, Ranka…?! I heard the cry of your heart back then… Just call one more time and I’ll find you!
: “If you think, you shall not bloom. Don’t think, and you shall…”
: (…to… help…)
: …! Over there?! Quarter!
: Sound wave coordinates confirmed!
: Good, then the Macross Quarter will engage the Galaxy at close range! Take us in, Bobby!
: OK, boss!
: Quarter, Sheryl, do you copy? I can go and save Ranka but I need your help to do it! Sing and wake her up!
: You got it. Here goes…!

:siren: My favorite Frontier song and the main reason I’m a card-carrying member of Team Sheryl! :siren:

: OOORYAAAAAAAAA!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMFjh-MJj1c
Jeffrey: We’ll pry open your way in, Lt. Alto! Save our songstress!

: Now, Alto! Get in there!
: Hurry on up, princess!
: Haaaah!

: Ranka, do you hear me?! Do you hear Sheryl?!
: … Ugh…
: Open your eyes, Ranka! Take back your song from them! Your real song!
: Al…to…

*Snap!*

: Alto!

*Machinegun fire!*

: Ranka, are you okay?!

*Fly on over!*

: … I am!

: Skull 4 to LOTUS! Ranka is safe!
: I’m so sorry, everyone! I’m really, really sorry…!
: Ranka… Thank God…!
: Don’t worry me like that, girl…!

: Hrk… R-Ranka…?
: Brother!
: … My link with Ranka allowed me to break free of their control as well, I think. Thank you, Alto Saotome.
: Oh, thank goodness! Then come with us, brother!
: Of course!

*Brera tags in with Alto’s team.*

: Now let’s keep up the pace and wrap this up! You’re up, Ranka!
: Sing, Ranka, and with your heart this time…!
: Your sorrow, your anger, your joy… pour everything you feel into those lyrics…!
: Alto, brother, Sheryl… Thank you, all of you! I’ll sing with my all heart, so please…
: Hold me to the edge of the galaxy!

: The Vajra stopped…?
: The little bugs weren’t angry at all! They saw that we didn’t come here to fight them!
: Indeed… There’s so much more to us all than combat…
: Today we’ll put an end to this conflict. That is how we’ll atone!

: Several heat signals emerging from the Battle Galaxy!
Those are… The Galaxy’s Ghost V9 drone fighters!
: Not just, I even see some VF-27s!
: Don’t worry about those – our target’s the Battle Galaxy itself, men!
: Aye, aye!
: And we got a real powerhouse taking our side, too! You’re not dunking this world into chaos under our watch!
: Let’s do this, Galaxy…!
: ... Everything’s in place, it seems. Then…

: …?! That Valkyrie escaped?
: Don’t waste time pursuing fleeing enemies. Our primary concern is the Galaxy itself.
: Focus fire on the enemy forces dead ahead! It’s time we brought this to a close!

The Ghosts and VF-27s are as dodgy and accurate as the Frontier variety, so a Confuse cast will probably be very helpful.

You can always do this, too, of course. Destroying the Galaxy ends the mission, so you might as well make as much money as you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFYLO1GIm0
And, as promised, here’s the ACTUAL ending plus the DK to Final Phase.
FYI, I had a big laugh over that mook actually trying to block with his dinky shield.

: Never in my life did I think I’d have to tango with a Battle-class…
: Still, I’ve heard talk of a Pro who weaved through a Macross’ AA batteries with just a prototype YF-19, so you won’t hear any complaints from me!

: They say the Battle Galaxy is the core of the Galaxy Fleet’s escort armada… and that ship is somehow in cahoots with Grace? What the hell is going on with the Galaxy Fleet…?!
: No idea… but the Battle Galaxy is unmanned, by the looks of it.
: You think the Fleet’s civs have no idea any of this is going on?
: It’s possible. And, if so, maybe the S.O.S. we got from the Galaxy before warping to this world was also fake…?
: drat that Grace… she’s been playing us from the start…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTrKPO3qYM
And here’s the Galaxy’s best attack before we run it into the ground.

: I’ll fly where my heart takes me, and I won’t let any of them pin me down! So don’t worry about a thing, Ranka – just keep on singing!
: Okay!

: Skull 4, hurry! If we give them an inch, we’ll have another wave incoming!
: Brother!
: Sing, Ranka. And as you do, I’ll be fighting in your name!

: The enemy’s size is four times our own, but that’s no reason to let ourselves be intimidated!
: OK, Boss! We’ll more than make up for that difference with our raw skill!
: (Still, it’s just the Battle Galaxy…? Does that mean the other ships of the Galaxy Fleet weren’t called to this world…?)

: We did it! That red Macross’ stopped dead in its tracks!
: Now, Cpt. Welder! Destroy the Galaxy!
: Aye, aye! Mina, time for our crazy little trick!
: Main engine, output rising!
: HAAAAAAAAAAH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rw2UQzhWSE

: It’s over…!

*The two remaining enemies retreat.*

: And we’ve exorcized the other ghosts as well…
: That’s the end of that, huh, Johnny?
: Right. Looks like we somehow managed to avoid all-out war with the Vajra, all thanks to Ranka and Sheryl’s songs…
: And we’ve confirmation that the Frontier Fleet is also safe!
: Whew… thank God that vision didn’t come true…
: Then I guess we just gotta fly over to the Frontier and—
: … I have it…!

: Wh-What the?!
: Did something happen?!
: We detected a massive Fold Wave, far bigger than anything we’ve seen!
: Hrgh…!
: Sheryl, are you alright?!
: I-I am!
: (Please… just a bit more…!)

*Screeeeeeeeech!*

: I-It’s!

: Shyaaaaaaaaaaa!!

: What the hell?! The Vajra’re attacking again!
: Didn’t you say the Vajra understood what we were after, Iczer-3?!
: I dunno what’s going on! They weren’t angry, so why are they…?!
: Ranka…
: Why are you doing this?! Stop! … My song isn’t getting through to them?!
: Hmhmhm, you’re wasting your time…

: What’s that huge-rear end thing?!
: Hear me and obey, Vajra!
: The transdimensional lifeforms, those that even the Protoculture feared, adored and ultimately deified to the point of mimicking their form… the power of the Vajra is all mine!
: Grace O’Connor…!
: She’s in that giant Vajra…?!
: Kneel before me! I am she whose power rivals God, she who rules over fate itself!

Couple of convos we missed:

: Oh, dear, you’re coming after me? I suppose you can, if you want to…
: But it won’t do you any good, I think.

--

: I've also released the Judah System on all my drones!
: Simon, John, Peter! I know your true power is more than a match to the Galaxy’s new models!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 8, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Since everyone important is pretty much upgraded to 50% and we still have two other missions, plus the finale, I figured we could do what we did in MX and pick our favorite unit to make HUGE (plus, it'll push us deep into a new page for the final missions). I'll be recording the Macross F finale today, saving the cash earned in that mission and 38 to spend on whoever wins.

Feel free to pick your one favorite unit from any of these:

• Rushbird, Straybird
  • Mazinkaiser, True Great Mazinger
  • Linebarrel, Vardant
  • Iczer-1, 2, 3
  • Alto, Ozma, Luca, Michel, Brera's Valkyrie
  • Kenji, Jeeg
  • Destiny or Legend Gundam
  • Godannar, Blade Gainer
  • Dancouga Nova
  • EVA-01, 02
  • Wing Zero
  • Combattler, Voltes
  • Gaiking

The vote should remain open until it's time to run mission 40, which should be around Tuesday at most? Make that Sunday. I'm rushing through this so I can get my 魂イイィィィ on immediately.

Make sure you bold out your vote. If you prefer, feel free to post your vote on any of mission 38's youtube videos as well - I'll count them.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Alto knows telling Sheryl not to do it won’t actually work, and she’s he knows her so well.

quote:

As Cathy remembers it, said fleet was tasked with capturing the then-mysterious Vaja and researching them – after the bugs destroyed it, Ranka and Ozma were the only survivors (which is what Ozma meant when he spoke of failing to protect Ranka’s family before).

quote:

: Don’t lose hope, shinn!

quote:

: The enemy’s size is four times our, but that’s no reason to let ourselves be intimidated!

Small mistakes.

About the mission itself...it's the Macross Frontier finale. Woo. At least it seems to be an easy one, and there's something neat in clashing Macrosses if nothing else. Also it made me search for the lyrics versions of all those songs, they never get old. I liked the show but goddamn the music carries it.

I'm surprised this is two missions though, I expected it to end in a single mission, especially considering how other shows didn't even get a chapter of their own (Dancouga Nova and Iczer). I'm also surprised you get Sword Macross Cannon now, in Z2 it's one of the Quarter's basic attacks. And I see the game's nearly over, so I guess the last two missions are original content.

For the vote...well, there's no reason to hold back at this point, is there? Go all out. Break the game in half. Gaiking.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

My vote goes for Gaiking the Great, who wasn't late to the party and is always reliable ever since you get it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The biggest takeaway here is that Brera is by far the least interesting character in the entire game, and I'm including Klan's Squaddies and the Dom Squad in that assessment.

As far as voting is concerned, let's add another vote for Gaiking.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Gaiking is already a destroyer of worlds, let's make it a destroyer of universes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Main character privileges. Rushbird.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One half of me wants to vote for the Rushbird because it deserves some recognition. My other half wants to vote for Gaiking The Great because it is simply the best.

I think I will give it to Gaiking.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Mazinkaiser because I can never get over how much I love it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Dancouga Nova, because we need to go full bestiality on these GReat Mooks.

(Thanks Hokuto)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Gee, if only Lou had access to some kind of space based robot to get over how terrible in space their sword robot is. A Cosmo Diver, if you will.

Oh wait she threw it away :argh:

Also I couldn't stop laughing at how much Ranka's dress is freaking the gently caress out.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Section Z posted:

Gee, if only Lou had access to some kind of space based robot to get over how terrible in space their sword robot is. A Cosmo Diver, if you will.

Oh wait she threw it away :argh:

Also I couldn't stop laughing at how much Ranka's dress is freaking the gently caress out.

You actually DO get Lou's Cosmo Diver - it's been rusting in our hangar since she first dumped it.

I could've swapped her into it but, really, you only deploy Lou either to combine with the Blade Gainer (at which point it functions in space just fine) or to use Triple Drive, and both require the Celleblader.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Serpent is the same, right? You get it but there's no reason to put Li in it when he joins with the Vulking.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to go for something different and vote for Legend Gundam. Our MAPW death god needs more power.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I want to see the Rushbird at Zeorymer tier. Also, gotta have the OG character prepared for their finale.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Rushbird.

I still remember playing J, where like the first or second stage after I got Great Zeorymer some Fed punk decided to taunt Masato about the difference between their skill levels. IIRC that guy probably ate a dozen nukes.

Grunts don't pick fights intelligently.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Iczer-1

Full upgrade her into a Perfect 10.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Bulk up Iczer 1 or 2 but not 3, she's too immature to be HUEG

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

HitTheTargets posted:

Iczer-1

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Rushbird

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HitTheTargets posted:

Iczer-1

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

HitTheTargets posted:

Iczer-1

Iczer-1's been pretty cool the whole game, so going with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

After tallying the votes on all threads, Daiya managed to snag victory over Iczer-1 by a single vote.

Remember this day as the moment we gave a kid unlimited power.

• Locked thread