Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Boy, that mission was a whole lot of :japan:

Stormbringer is a good song though and people should listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So Godannar has a character who looks like he stepped out of a Go Nagai series, and his name is Kouji Tetsuya? :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That sure was a fuckload of Gaiking characters at the start. I'm sure I'll get a handle on it all as we get further in, but this is very much the old SRW early game "WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE :gonk:" phase.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If nothing else, he delivered a much needed beatdown to Kouichi. I'd give him a pass long enough to prove himself one way or another.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This Reiji guy has a very similar first impression to Clouseau in SRW W, where he rolls in, saves the day, knocks certain characters down a few pegs and orders them to shape up. Like Clouseau I fully expect him to lighten up in some way, be revealed to be nicer than he seems, and otherwise get dragged down to the rest of the cast's level by wacky antics, though I could be totally off base as I know literally nothing about Linebarrel.

Of course, the big difference is that Clouseau was only meant to be the new leader of Uruz Squad, not the entirety of Warter, and Reiji is introduced as the leader of the entirety of LOTUS. It's kind of weird idea based on my limited knowledge of SRW, but I don't remember another situation where the entire squad gets a hardass leader forced upon them. By and large the characters in these games are allowed to do what they want.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So Reiji's mech reminds me of Thanatos from Persona 3, with the weird coffins that encircle him and all that, which is neat.

The 40% bonus that he and Iczer join with make me nervous that they're going to get taken out and be unavailable for a while because there's no way the game would be this generous this early, but they don't seem so good that losing them would be the tremendous blow that, say, losing Sanger in early OG1 was. So I dunno :shrug:.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You know, they probably could have done more to differentiate Luna and Meyrin's pictures in the game, but too small profile pics seems to be a consistent problem with handheld SRW games. It's way easier to keep things straight in something like Z or the MX with their full head and shoulders profiles than here.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

I like to think this puts to rest the thoughts that Reiji's just a hardass thinking that everyone's poo poo. You can see here that he has a very good reason for wanting Ichitaka to leave and get to safety, but if Ichitaka shows his determination to stay, then Reiji will back down and let him, rather than try to force him to do otherwise or scream about insubordination.

It's kind of a problem with SRW format that Reiji whipping the squad into shape has no real tangible effects for the player. In different game, you could have the Support Attack and Support Defend skills be locked until Reiji shows up and starts drilling the characters on teamwork, or hold off on the pair mechanic. I could see SRW diehards getting pissed off at something like that, but I feel that this is early enough in the game that you wouldn't really miss having those mechanics withheld until this point.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
drat, that sure was a whole lotta SEED.

Also, what's the most generic good guy thing Kira could possibly do after the events of SEED?

quote:

Back at Onogoro Island, Kira’s just returned to his orphanage.

:rolleyes:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

Actually, hold on. I thought that was the orphanage, but I was misremembering - that's just some home the Archangel folks and the orphans.

Malchio's orphanage, according to the wiki, is in the Marshall Islands.

Oh, so Kira and Lacus don't open their own orphanage after the war? I'm only relying on these LP's for info as I've never watched Destiny.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

This talk of wannabe holy figure mech pilots working out of an Orphanage makes me wish Billy Lee Black was in an SRW game. The "Jessie Cannon" would fit right into an SRW game as well :allears:

At first I was like, "That would never fit." But then I remembered how Gunbuster, Diebuster, Gurren Lagann, and Evangelion have all appeared in the same SRW so I guess anything's on the table :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That scene between Djibril and Une shows the one thing that SEED and Destiny villains are good for, getting dunked on.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Heyyyy, it's my favourite Wing character! How ya been, Noin? :dance:

And in a squad game where she might actually see some use!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Djibril is kind of a lovely villain from a writing standpoint. The type of villain where it's not satisfying when they finally get their comeuppance, it's just a relief that they won't get anymore screentime.

Kouichi sure is taking his sweet time in joining, hopefully Emi calling him out so hard has an actual impact.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I dunno why you guys are so surprised about Kouichi taking his sweet time in joining the party; the most obviously busted unit playing hard-to-get is a time honored SRW tradition.

It's been mentioned that L is shorter than other SRW's and Linebarrel has gotten quite a bit of plot focus since we started. Kouichi has appeared three times as an opponent despite being the main character of his series, and we're still waiting on Evangelion to actually get its rear end in gear and get started. I'm just hoping they don't drag this out at the expense of everything else.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

Now that the SMS has officially joined LOTUS, we need to build some new teams. Daiya’s deploying as an event unit, so here’s how we’re going:
Tetsuya/Jun
Ichitaka/Sayaka (don’t really like this but it beats him flying solo)
Kouji/Boss
Combattler/Puria
Alto/Michel
Zechs/Noin
Voltes/Canaria
Heine/Klan
Ozma/Michel

Man, pretty impressive how Michel can be in two squads at once :v:

I'm assuming the second one is supposed to be Ozma/Luca

quote:

: Here we go… Now this is a flame! C’mon, Gaiking! First order of business is paying these guys back for the damage they did to the Daiku Maryu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGpIemDL3bQ

I've seen a fair amount of Rocket Punches, but this was pretty rad. :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Montegoraon posted:

This may be an unfair comparison, but aren't the OG plot and characters in this game just extremely dull? I mean, when compared to W, Z, A, J, the entire Alpha series, Masou Kishin......

First time I've ever seen J get compared positively to something.

The predecessor to L was K right? If there's only two things anyone knows about K, then it's the plagiarism with the music, and how it's protagonist was a MASSIVE prick. Backing off a bit on having a confrontational protag is the safe move after that, but it could also arguably make them more boring. That being said I'm taking a wait-and-see approach since if anything interesting is done with Ichitaka, it's probably gonna involve Kouichi and Shinji, who haven't joined the team yet.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Couple of typos

Brunom1 posted:

By the Jama Kingdom, Himika’s noticed Jeeg and friends splitting up and easily figures they’re headed home to lick their wounds. Amaso and Mimashi know that to mean that Jeeg’s off to get new parts at Build Base, making this a perfect opportunity to attack the place and steal the Bronze Bell.
Himika has a better idea, though: they can use this opportunity to destroy JUDA, our HQ, in one fell strike! Once the place is ashes, it’ll be so much easier to take the Bronze Bell. Mimashi and Amaso both start begging Himika for command of the operation since Ikima has yet to return from his Replace With Hiroshi Shiba’s own Bronze Bell.

Ought to be "search for" I think.

quote:

Cut to the Cthulhu Fortress, Big Gold isn’t happy over Sepia’s death; Sir Violet begs her forgiveness and orders Iczer-2 to explain herself. Theoretically, the Iczer-Σ, with her and Sepia, should’ve been wholly superior to the Iczer Robo... but the thing went and somehow displayed far more strength than expected.
Iczer-2 also ponders that maybe’s Sepia’s unstable mind could’ve had a negative effect on the bot’s performance – she’ll try and draw out the full might of the Iczer-Σ by herself and, if successful, Iczer-1 and the girl are as good as dead.
With that, Violet dismisses Iczer-2 and orders her to heal her wounds in preparation for her next deployment. As she goes, Iczer-2 silently promises Iczer-2 to make her pay for this humiliation.
With that, Big Gold turns back to Sir Violet and raises the subject of the Jama Kingdom – she wants them contacted.

Iczer-2 taking revenge on herself would be a pretty neat trick. :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing that the Linebarrels manga was still ongoing while the anime was being made yeah? I know a lot of anime adaptations are made to run for one season and have a satisfying conclusion and in those cases they wind up having to make their own endings too, like the original FMA anime. So I'd guess Soubi's story didn't fit into the ending they had in mind.

But given how people are talking it seems like the anime changed a lot more than just Soubi and the ending, so I dunno.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Impossible.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Did Auel just get iced in a friggin cutscene?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT :roflolmao:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Between Kenji being obsessed with titties, Kouichi walking in on Emi, all of the butt jokes in Godannar, and the sheer volume of skintight pilot suits for the girls in various series some of which even have boob windows...

This sure is a sexed up SRW game huh?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Logicblade posted:

Didn't Godannar release a hentai because they needed more money for the second season?

:catstare: wat

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Good thing Mikhail was able to overcome his issues in a single battle, and Alto was able to put aside all of his resentment so easily. Wouldn't want to focus on compelling human drama when we can have Mishima, Brera, and the G-Man being mysterious.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

To be fair, the game is pretty much sticking with how it happened in the series. One episode ends with Michel screwing up, and, by the end of the next, they sort it out.

Edit: actually, did it all happen in a single episode?

Yeah I figured, according to Akurasu this is Frontier's SRW debut, and there's that unofficial rule that debuting series need to be played straight without a lot of cross-series pollination. That'd probably be why this stage feels like an episode of Macross where occasionally there's also the Voltes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
According to Akurasu it's 55 scenarios, counting the two prologues and all the route splits.

I have this idea stuck in my head that Ichitaka is really short, but I have no idea where I got it from beyond that he's in middle school.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's probably official information on the characters' heights but I don't know where to get it from (likely Japanese sites). As it is, I've always imagined Ichitaka as taller than pre-timeskip Kazuma but shorter than the rest of the SRW protagonists Brunom has used (with Rand as the tallest). Of course, that's just how I picture it, I have no way to actually check that out.

I want to say that there's no way Kazuma grew that much during a six month timeskip, but then again Ruri aged three years in that time frame so :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You know, for some reason I was convinced that Naoto was going to be a traitor or tragic villain or something. Becoming a bandanna wearing helmsman is probably better though.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That whole bit about :sparkles:IMAGINATION:sparkles: was so dumb, it almost loops around to being awesome.

Almost.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Jack Smith looks like he walked right out MGR: Revengeance and I absolutely love it :allears:

They're really going all in on this IMAGINTATION thing aren't they? Was that a thing in the manga, or was it another invention of the anime?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It might be weird to shift gears after 3 LPs (plus change), but I actually liked how the last mission was split. Missions are pretty long in this game, and a lot of times I'll be reading an intro to a mission and wanting to comment on a particular line or scene, only to forget about it by the time I get to the end.

And even if you don't want to do that, then this post is still one more towards a new page :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's not necessarily that it's hard to follow, more that I think it promotes discussion.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Good to see Kensuke have a chance to geek out over all the robots before vanishing off the face of the game.

And Reiji is so absurdly dickish that I kinda love it. :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Man oh man, all guys saying that Gendou is secretly a Good Dad are in for some harsh truths.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The only thing I hear about K is Mist. Is it just generic outside of the originals or is it actually decent but Mist just overshadows everything.

Well that's not fair, there's also the plagiarism :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So is Anna the main character of Godannar? Because a harem anime from the perspective of one of the girls sounds kind of neat in concept.

Also gotta love how Lou doesn't seem to have any problems working with a guy who almost murders her friends for literally no reason.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My vote is for STELLA!!!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

: Who wouldn’t be? This here’s no ZAKU, boy, no ZAKU! C’mon, we gotta get to the hangar!

:tizzy:

On a side note, yeah I'm gonna change my vote to Michel

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

: Did you say “distressed”…? I’m 200% PISSED, is what I am!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
On the one hand, Reiji's defection has some of the hallmarks of a fake defection, what with the constantly lecturing the younger pilots on things that he's taught them before, blatantly holding back, playing up the rear end in a top hat role in order to get them to hate him. On the other hand, shooting Ishigami seems like a real "no backsies" move, unless Ishigami is in on it too which I'm not sure is the case. Ishigami doesn't seem particularly perturbed when he's shot, but he also doesn't seem to see it coming either.

• Locked thread