Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Mikl posted:

I wish to go on record and state that the Linebarrels of Iron anime is terrible. Like, absolutely, completely, 100% bad.

The manga, on the other hand, is Very Good, and thus it's a shame they used the anime instead of the manga in this game.

Echoing the manga is very good. UX does the manga's story more or less if you're looking for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Blaze Dragon posted:

The reason is Hiraiface.

Hirai went on record as saying he tried to draw in a different style than his usual for Linebarrels. At least, I'm pretty sure he did. I can't find the thing.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GimmickMan posted:

The BGM was part of the reason I decided that all the Armas/Machinas would be sub units.

They're quite good units though. Definitely worth using.

Yeah, I actually can't think of a single Linebarrels unit that isn't at least prime squaddie material.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kotetsushin Jeeg is pretty great (STORMBRINGER is also an amazing opening song) but holy crap it's hard to stand Kenji early on.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Basically, either the plot conforms or it gets the hell off the stage.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

tl;dr read the Kurogane no Linebarrels manga, it's actually good unlike the anime

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Relena just does not give even the slightest gently caress these days.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Godannar is kind of in a league of its own on that front, though.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Linebarrels: Manga good, anime bad. Read manga. Please.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Alacron posted:

So is Anna the main character of Godannar? Because a harem anime from the perspective of one of the girls sounds kind of neat in concept.

Also gotta love how Lou doesn't seem to have any problems working with a guy who almost murders her friends for literally no reason.

Given how that last mission ended, I don't think she's got a whole lot of choice left in the matter. She's stuck in the cockpit with the bloodthirsty loon and her only saving graces are that she's his copilot and he still seems to have some shred of sanity left.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's pretty wonderful that the only real change was that Shinn and Kira remembered how their SRW standard issue one-band radio worked.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

edit: never mind

Materant fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 12, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Montegoraon posted:

The Impulse and Destiny are probably completely different lineages. Destiny pretty clearly follows after the Freedom, but the Impulse was inspired by Nadesico's Aestivalises is its own thing. It has a unique recharge system that lets it top off its batteries in seconds at a distance by drawing from the Minerva. As for why the change, and why now, it's entirely possible that Impulse was designed specifically to beat Kira Yamato in the Freedom. Shinn studied Kira to try to find a way to beat him, to take advantage of the fact that Kira doesn't shoot to kill, but even with that, without the Impulse's ability to replace lost parts he just just could not win.

The Destiny actually derives its lineage from an MSV-only Impulse pack, the Destiny Impulse. Which basically just existed as a testbed, but you know.

I would link the Gundam wikia page, but it's got spoilers for the like two of you who don't know how Destiny goes down.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, I'm gonna ignore all the nerdy technical stuff and just point out the thruster dick. Why would you put that there?

I mean, you need a retrograde thruster somewhere.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Glazius posted:

Really your fate was sealed as soon as you put on the wire-frame spectacles. Nobody gets in a robot with guns bigger than an entire human being wearing wire-frame spectacles.

To be fair, he doesn't wear the glasses in the robot.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The Kotetsushin Jeeg finale is just all sorts of hells of enjoyable for everyone.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

maninthesuit posted:

He may not need air to breathe, but how does he talk in space? Probably a radio or something, but he's considerate enough to move his mouth anyway in case someone is hard of hearing.

Certain rules just don't apply to you anymore when you become a cyborg and a super robot to boot.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Man, I should really watch Kotetsushin Jeeg again.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

That is some world class irony from the pilot of the Destiny right there.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Honestly, Gaiking the Great would lose to Genesic GGG, and both would just be blown away by the utter unfairness that is Great Zeorymer, so this isn't a terribly difficult mental exercise.

The world is utterly hosed in this scenario, though. :v:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Yajima just seems to be using that as an excuse to try and get Kouichi to quit fighting and be safe. He doesn't come off as bad as Yuuki.

Also, man. The Katou guys are loving weird. They're trying real hard with this whole 'imagination' metaphor but I don't think they're pulling it off. Still glad I haven't read Linebarrels though because all this just comes off as a robot show that's big on the drama with a strange villain group rather than an affront to writing.

It's important to remember that a lot of the reason the Katou Organization looks as weird as it does (and hell, most of why the anime is the way it is) is mostly because of Studio Gonzo shenanigans. The manga wasn't even like half done when they launched the anime, and even then they took a lot of what was already done in the manga and twisted it.

If Brunom does do UX (and my hat's off to him if he does, it's a really good game but it's buggy as poo poo, not to mention the difficulty of emulating 3DS games), you'll see a much, much better representation of Linebarrels.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't imagine a single better way to handle Michel's survival than "ugh, I'm loving fine, stop shouting, geez". That was marvelous, perfectly in-character while being mood-breaking in a funny way.

...Admittedly, I may think this only because I really did not like him dying in Frontier.

Coincidentally, neither did anyone else, which is why he survives in every subsequent Frontier showing in SRW. I think they may have retconned in his survival in the movies, but I haven't actually watched those to be sure.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Brunom1 posted:

So, yeah, apparently the Combattler's been just hunting Mimetic Beasts before all this started.

Gotta grind on them low-level beasties before you get started on the main plot, after all!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Arkanumzilong posted:

Just once id like for someone to go "I analized all your combat data, know all of your machine specs and created this mech to surpass it all!" And then get absolutely and trvially destroyed by the good guys almost imediately after they stop talking

I mean, that's happened virtually every time the Original villains have popped up on a map.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It feels like the only reason Durandal even died was because that's how things went in Destiny. Like they had to strictly adhere to certain parts of the script to even include it and one of those parts is "Durandal has to go down with Messiah because reasons".

At least in Z he killed the Frost Brothers on the way out. I can't see what purpose him dying even accomplished here.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Featuring guest appearance by Deus Ex Machina, who will be making a much more violent appearance in UX.

I'm not sure why they bothered, really. It's a much more poignant ending if the heroes actually die.

...did they actually die in the anime? I suspect Kouichi and Emi live if for no other reason than to have something resembling a happy ending that shits all over the moral of the story, but what about the rest of the cast?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Glazius posted:

So how is the SRW series, in terms of original plots ultimately producing the end boss? It feels like that's where we're headed here.

It's sort of hit-and-miss, honestly. Some are really really good (Alpha series, A, Z, W, to name a few), and some are really bad (Z3 comes to mind here, and I'm a bit hesitant to include K despite its shitter of a protag). I'm not sure where to classify this one, because, to be frank, it's never been mentioned in the spotlight for more than a couple minutes every eight stages or so. If it weren't for Yuu's issues early on, it would have been practically nonexistent. Hell, now that I think about it, Yuu (and Ichitaka/Alice to a lesser extent) has basically vanished from the story until now.

Materant fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 11, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Raxivace posted:

Pretty much. FWIW the movies end things way differently.

Alto vanishes during the final battle, Sheryl falls into a coma, and Ranka is left alone after having lost the love triangle.

The more I hear about it the more I think Sayonara no Tsubasa is a remarkably downer movie for Macross.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ichitaka, I don't know how to feel about a protagonist whose ultimate attack's background music lines up with "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Hopefully the last battle won't be too bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Main Paineframe posted:

Gameplay-wise, though, it's pretty solid. There's a nice mix of units, some neat abilities, and the partner bonuses made for a pretty solid take on the partner system - much better than K's shitfest, at least.

You'll be glad to know the B-Team kept the partner bonuses going forward into UX and BX!

• Locked thread