Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Montegoraon posted:

I'm really starting to get the thread title now. Much more than W, MX, Z, or any others, this game seems to assume you're very familiar with the source material. Or is that due to the translation? But it seems like it's jumping back and forth too much. Like, here's the Frontier. Now we're in the PLANTs. Now we're on Earth. Here's Jeeg. Oh, and Kouji Kabuto just happens to be here too. Etc.

A lot of the series we've seen so far are either longtime recurring series in SRW (like Mazinger, Voltes, and SEED) or got the full plot treatment in the previous handheld game and therefore change things up so they're not just rerunning the same missions again (Jeeg and Dancouga Nova). Meanwhile, Frontier gets plenty of time to set itself up early since this is its first SRW appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

maninthesuit posted:

I wonder what was up with that eva cut-scene in the beginning though. I never watched the show so I'm at a loss. I know that Eva has a purple one, a red one and a yellow one. So I guess they're hinting at a fourth bot here, but the dialogue said it blew up. It is weird in all kinds of ways. Why wasn't LOTUS made aware of an angel stomping around? Is this supposed to be happening at the same time that they're fighting the scarecrow-angel and not-Iczer?

Evangelion isn't that great on explaining things, and the Rebuild movies that this Eva appearance especially like to shake up their "remake" status by adding completely new stuff and not explaining it at all until much later (if ever), so there really isn't much you're missing out on. In a secret base no one on our team knows about, an Evangelion unit no one knew about self-destructed after destroying an Angel no one knew about, and the pilot (who no one on our team knows about) survived by ejecting. It makes exactly as much sense in the actual movie. How does this tie into anything else that happened this mission? So far, it doesn't; it might come up sometime later. That's Evangelion for you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Bye bye, Beast Mode. Hope you enjoyed your extremely brief time in the spotlight, because now that we have Max God, you're probably never going to be used ever again.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Ugh, this mission. The Machina-Humans are one of the more annoying mooks in this game - they're fairly evasive, very accurate, come in massive numbers, and the stages that they appear tend to come with troublesome gimmicks. They won't take out your heavy-hitter supers (basically nothing will at this point), but they're a major threat to all but your very best Gundams, Valkyries, and side characters.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Wait, what? They can do that Spirit Bomb poo poo that literally killed them for a minute again!?

Yep, it's a bog-standard combination attack now, although it does require you to have all the Machinas next to each other to use it.

And yeah, this mission is mostly just a pain if you're blindsided by the gimmick. The Machinas are very vulnerable in the tail end of the mission, especially if you haven't bothered to upgrade them, and they'll fall real easy if you let anyone get close.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

The issue I have with Final Phase is that for all the build-up around the attack and its damage output, it is sadly impractical in the long run. To use it, you have to give up 7 slots just for the component robots when some of those slots can put to better use. By this point in the game, Painkiller and Deceive are probably only around due their Repair and Resupply modules (respectively) and/or their Pair-Up bonuses, Apparition and Hind-Kind are pure squaddie fodder, and Talisman (if you get it) brings little outside of an extra level 1 Command aura. Thus, the only worthwhile Machina are Linebarrel and Vardant, and that's if the player is using them. The second major problem comes after using the attack; Final Phase will tank everyone's D-S.O.I.L. into the ground like Rachel says and make the Machina almost useless. Except for Linebarrel because it has Super Protagonist PowersTM and will be able to recover its D-S.O.I.L. much faster. So, not only do you fill out 7 roster slots with units just for one attack, but then you practically lose 6 of those units after using the one attack for a period of time thanks to game mechanics. Basically, to get most out of it, Final Phase should be put to use exactly as its name implies: the very last attack you throw at a boss unit so you don't have to worry about the drawbacks.

Anyhew, Brunom. You might be needing this for upcoming events. Because reasons.

To be fair, support squaddies are really solid in this game, and the Linebarrel support-types are really solid. Painkiller gives really good PU bonuses, Deceive's morale-decreasing attack is always nice to have around, and there's no shortage of long-range fighters to pair Apparition with. The problem is the other two. Talisman is pretty lackluster for a late-game secret, and is unlikely to find a slot in your party unless you really like Soubi or his PU bonus. Hind Kind doesn't even have that going for it - its PU bonuses aren't terribly useful and it's basically useless for fighting at this point in the game, it just can't hit anything without Strike. More importantly, there's plenty of non-Machina units from Linebarrel that are also fighting for those deployment slots; all of them are capable squaddie fighters, and one of them is Jack Smith.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

maninthesuit posted:

As it stands, it feels less like a combination attack and more like the Straybird is taking a break while letting its beefier brother handle business.

That lines up pretty well with the two bots' role in the story up till now.

I agree that it's disappointing that Rushbird never got a real upgrade. It's a solid design, strong gameplay-wise, and has a vaguely interesting mechanic to set it apart from the rest...but it doesn't have very many attacks, and we've been using it the entire game with no changes except a new attack and now a new combination attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Gloria looks like he could have been one of the better original villains if he'd first interacted with our heroes maybe halfway through the game, rather than waiting till the very end and then cramming his entire character into two missions. The rapid-fire shift from "I just want to help my people" to "I want to be the king of two worlds" to "okay, bet you HEROES OF JUSTICE can't deal with a little bit of genocide" to "actually, I lost sight of my path due to my ~tragic past~" is pretty jarring.

Gameplay-wise, though, it's pretty solid. There's a nice mix of units, some neat abilities, and the partner bonuses made for a pretty solid take on the partner system - much better than K's shitfest, at least.

• Locked thread