Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's good to see you back in the LP business, Brunom. I'm one of the ten people who played L and thought it was one of the more fun titles in the series, seven years ago back when I played it. Knowing the fine details of what happens should be nice!

...By the way, you're missing a ")" after "Luca Angeloni" in his mechanics briefing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Inferno-sama posted:

Still though, how many games use that? We've got L, the entire Z series (which is 5 games, 7 if you count special disc and Rengoku-hen) and V. Am I missing any?

It used to be in the background as a minor thing (see: Masoukishin, Dunbine, etc. even back during the classic days) but It's been a major plot device since Z1.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm glad I played L when it came out and it was the first to do the Frontier storyline with all the focus it gets before it got spammed in future SRWs until I got sick of it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The BGM was part of the reason I decided that all the Armas/Machinas would be sub units.

They're quite good units though. Definitely worth using.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gaiking's plot is something of a curveball in this game: It starts around the late 30's of a 50 episode show, so if you thought Godannar was hard to catch up on then hooo boy :v:.

Fun Fact: While SRW L is one of those portable titles where nearly everyone gets a single character portrait, the Gaiking characters are one of the few who get two portraits since a whole lot of them go super saiyan when inside the cockpit (we saw this with Proist, Daiya and Puria this chapter). Puria gets special treatment because she gets a third portrait for that handful of lines where she doesn't have any clothes and, thus, no headband!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

With all the other ways it gets better, I completely forgot that the Superior Stinger lost the Double Despair Sight after having it for only one stage. This game is really odd with its use of Gaiking.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Very nice (and long) update. The screencaps from linebarrels really help to sell Emi's bit.

Evangelion in L suffers because they have to try really hard to keep its plot on rails ("Only an Eva can defeat an Angel") but Evangelion has a lot of love poured into its spritework and animations. I can't bring myself to think of its addition as a negative. The good outshines the bad for me.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Linebarrels is ridiculous but its brand of absurdity seems to be tailor-made for SRW. The mention of "Spheres" as a thing they can use to travel between dimensions makes me think that we can add "No Linebarrels" to the list of series Z3 could've included and done something interesting with but didn't.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Voting Michel because their dialogue is bound to be more interesting.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ishigami's security system makes no sense and I imagine it is one of those things that would drive me up the wall if I had read the Linebarrels manga.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is a pretty standard take on the Ramiel scenario, especially compared to how involved in the crossover the one in MX was. But I do like how Ramiel first brings EVA 01 down to 100 HP, then 10 HP, then 1 HP. Gotta sell those cutscene attacks!

At the time this game came out there were lots of people complaining that Bamco was being lazy about not including multiple portraits for each character, so the decision to include three different portraits for Rei (regular, bandages and smiling), which will probably not be seen again outside of flashbacks, made me chuckle.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was always a fan of the Rushbird's design but learning that the Meioh-like attack is pretty much the Meioh is :allears:.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I actually had to redo this stage once. :negative: I thought reinforcements would come from anywhere but the sea so one of them managed to slip into one of the base's corners squares.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This stage owns. There's a million events making things harder for you every few turns, the terrain is a pain and you're missing half the cast because it is during a route split. When I first played L, I was following the eva routes but most of my upgraded and leveled units were in the space route. The end result was a very intense endurance run in which I milked all of my units dry.

Good times.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Boy I sure am in the mood for some Evangelion, it would be great if we could get a certain red-headed pilot to join soon.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lobsterman posted:

Considering the special place in my heart Gaiking has, there are...a bizarrely huge number of characters who I simply do not remember at all.

Before this update I would have sworn Norza/Kain piloted the Vulking/Daichi while Lee/Vestaanu piloted the Raiking/Tenkuu. Funny how memory works.

Gaiking LoDM is great and I urge everyone who likes super robots to give it a try. The first 4-5 eps are very generic but after that it just keeps getting better with time.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

: Hmph, are simply clueless. Victory does not go to the strongest… but to those who refuse to surrender until the very end!

I think you've accidentally a word at the end of the first half of this gigantic mission.

And what a mission it is. :allears: Face Open: The Great basically consists of using a tremendously powerful combiner super robot as a huge fireball... And this is entirely a distraction to let Daiya quickly decombine and blast the hell out of Proist's face. What is even better is that it is a proper unit rather than just a combination attack for the three *Kings, because in the show Gaiking the Great was around for a bunch of episodes before this so it got to show off what it could do, unlike other units that shall not be named.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The idol contest is from Gaiking, the cook becomes a named character during it much like in this game.

The Maryus and the Kings are Darius projects that were stolen by the rebels, that would be why both Dvoraks bear a resemblance to them. (The final Dvorak is even called the Chou Maryu)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ishigami you lying sack of poo poo, your identification games could have gotten everyone killed.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The first chunk of Combattler (the Garuda/Oreanna arc) is in the Classic series, Alpha, C2/Impact and in C3 though it is truncated in some of them. For example, in C3 it is just one stage.

The latter chunk of Combattler (the Janella/Danger/Warchimedes arc) is in A, R, 64, Impact, Scramble Commander 2nd and Alpha 3. In most of these the enemies come to Earth and join the super robot baddies alliance. I think you only get to visit their planet and meet Deus in Alpha 3.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

maninthesuit posted:

This stage has the one piece of 'I didn't expect them to put in the effort' that always stuck with me. When Hero lines up on the base to do his iconic 'shooting the fortress'-scene, I expected the usual. You know, have his icon move across the map, do an explosion or two. Maybe shake the screen if we're feeling generous. But nope, they went and had the Wing Zero do the full animation of it actually shooting a sprite of the base. Now to be fair, its a lot easier to sprite up a static building than it is to do a moving unit like everything else, but still. I did not expect them to do it.

For being one of the 'cheap' titles that are usually criticized for having few assets, L puts a lot of effort into tiny "blink or miss" details like that. It is one of the things that makes me fond of the game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My favorite thing about these updates is how you write Wakamoto's voice.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Iczer's plot in this game is whatever at best but the units are fun to play with, the music is good and Iczer Formation owns. I want more Iczer in SRW. Just keep the tentacles out of it next time. Please. Oh and fix the Iczer Robo bug, that would be good too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This stage is infamous. I remember a lot of people complaining about it when L came out, because they neglected the Linebarrel units all game. It amuses me that Wufei is basically more of a Linebarrel cast member than a Wing character.

Brunom1 posted:

To be fair, Soubi's worth it if you like big numbers as Final Phase with him ups the attack power to incredible 12000 (isn't that around what Ideon Gun had in Alpha 3?), making it the strongest move in the game by a mile.

I'll try and show off the full version with the DK next mission... meaning I'll need to find room for all the Factors.

By far my least favorite thing about L is that you almost never get to see the DKs unless you go out of your way to use finishers on enemy grunts. The least this game could've done for the finale is let us watch the end boss explode after getting cutscene'd like that, for crying out loud!

I'm fairly sure that the Alpha 3 Ideon Gun is locked to always 9999 base power, which is the highest in that game.

Lastly,

quote:

You really are despicable… But that’s you meant so much to Mr. Ishigami, to my brother… and to me…
Probably missing a "why" between "that's" and "you".

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One half of me wants to vote for the Rushbird because it deserves some recognition. My other half wants to vote for Gaiking The Great because it is simply the best.

I think I will give it to Gaiking.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hello I'm GimmickMan and I wanted to say I like this coming stage and I will make the same post again after the update. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

:siren: Now we can go! L doesn’t have a JAM Project song, so I asked around and this was recommended! :siren:

SON OF A BITCH! I'll admit, I cheated and dodged all of your Linebarrels music links... And you still got me in the end! :argh: Someday, I will have my revenge...

Brunom1 posted:

ji: A moderate faction regained their power and they appointed a new president. From what we’ve heard, they’re officially working on sending peace ambassadors to this side.

...Until then, I'll continue to point out little mistakes like this.

Okay, so more seriously now, I think other posters have more or less summarized my thoughts on this stage and the game in general. I think SRW L is one of the finest SRW's I've played on a mechanical level thanks to partner bonuses making you want to plan out well how you're going to pair up your units. The aforementioned combo of Shinji and Rey that Blaze Dragon pointed out is one of those synergistic combinations that you probably wouldn't make in any other SRW but works wonders in this one.

I also love the Rushbird's design dearly even if it's narrative weight is more or less nil. I wouldn't be lying if I said I want to see the L cast in OG about as much as the W crew. There's so much more potential to fix them up too, which is always nice to see, when they do it.

It was nice to finally understand the intricacies of this game's plot (or the overall lack of them, to be honest :v:). Looking forward to you doing a title that I didn't play myself first for once.

Thanks for the LP.

• Locked thread