Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I'm really starting to get the thread title now. Much more than W, MX, Z, or any others, this game seems to assume you're very familiar with the source material. Or is that due to the translation? But it seems like it's jumping back and forth too much. Like, here's the Frontier. Now we're in the PLANTs. Now we're on Earth. Here's Jeeg. Oh, and Kouji Kabuto just happens to be here too. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Man, somebody put Shinn on some serious mood stabilizers in this game.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Oh, and Shinn and Athrun could easily survive re-entry in those circumstances, if they did it right. The falling colony would have acted as a heat shield. They could have just ridden it down and switched to atmospheric flight once they reached a safe speed. Although, I don't know if that's actually how it happened in Destiny, and I don't care to check.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I think I've figured out the reason for this relatively reasonable, empathetic Shinn.

: They accidentally gave me WEED instead of SEED. I'm totally baked right now, and I can't stop smiling.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

This is one of the things people seem to forget about Relena. Even when she's captured, she retains the same level of calm. There is no doubt in my mind that between Relena and Heero, we know who really wears the metaphorical pants.

Also the literal pants, a good chunk of the time. She wears dresses a lot, but also a lot of fancy pantsuits later on. Heero favors shorts.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

The first noteworthy thing Une does in Wing is kidnap a General, trick him into recording a propaganda piece for Treize, then kick him out of a plane and shoot him in the head. In that order.

It's a perfect example of Wing Logic.

If you could make a shot like that, you'd do it at every opportunity too. Especially on a man with a voice like "You're saaang... redooce da Forsaz!?"

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
This would never happen, but it sure would be slightly interesting if it turned out Grife only ever wanted Ichitaka to test those robots, and not actually use them in combat and war. It might inject a sliver of drama into his story.

This may be an unfair comparison, but aren't the OG plot and characters in this game just extremely dull? I mean, when compared to W, Z, A, J, the entire Alpha series, Masou Kishin...... I know we're still really early in the game, but by the end of the 7th mission in W (I know, really unfair) Kazuma had already gone from fighting with Duo and Quatre to befriending them, found time to have a mature discussion about war with them, had a small breakdown after being tricked into thinking he'd murdered the crew of the Nadesico, gotten himself in trouble with his father for taking risks, fought a Tekkaman with a loving industrial loader, and successfully argued for his family to not join Warter. Ichitaka just sort of hangs around, getting along with everyone, while Alice occasionally does maid things and overheats constantly, an arbitrary, meaningless problem that will doubtless just go away at some point.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Alacron posted:

First time I've ever seen J get compared positively to something.

I hesitated, I admit, but at least Touya and Calvina have real feelings about things.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

To be fair, as I found out along this LP, neural networks/AIs ARE a thing that exist and them having to build synapses, learn and adapt themselves by exposure to new input is precisely what they do.

Alice's problem is actually rather realistic from a IT point of view (mind you, I only have a superficial grasp on how it works, so don't ask!).

Sure. Google Translate is now run off of neural network systems. Google also build a neural network computer capable of beating the best Go players in the world, which was thought to be another couple decades away from being remotely possible. Put simply, they work by taking thousands or millions of pieces of example data, and learning how to associate them with each other. For example, by interpreting thousands of different images associate with the word 'cat' they learn what a cat looks like. Or, by programming one with the basic rules and principles of Go, and then feeding them millions of board positions, they can learn by association what a good move is in any given situation.

In Alice's case, unless she's very poorly designed, she must be purposefully overclocking herself to a dangerous degree. Of course, she should be doing that constantly, or not at all. She doesn't need to be in an actual battle to learn how to fight. She would just need to review footage of combat, or analyze the blackbox data from various machines. It would be better for her to do that in a way that won't lead to damaging her hardware over the long term, but I suppose it's understandable that she'd want to develop herself as quickly as possible. Still, simply throwing more system resources at a neural network won't improve its performance in an actual situation. If it hasn't learned how to make proper judgments, then the results will generally be poor regardless. They aren't like the chess supercomputers of the 90's. Their strength isn't in being able to brute force a solution, but to efficiently prune courses of action in an actually intelligent fashion. Alice will continue to be of limited utility in combat, until eventually she isn't. That might manifest as her starting to give okay advice that improves gradually over time on how to defeat certain opponents. Or, and knowing SRW this is far more likely, at some point the team will come up against a nigh-invulnerable opponent, as ya do, and Alice will have an epiphany about how to attack its weakpoint that nobody else can see. Either of those would actually be fairly realistic. Neural networks are capable of developing incredibly broad perspectives.

That isn't my point. Her constant overheating is an arbitrary problem. Either she reaches a breakthrough point, and the plot decides it just goes away (it wouldn't, because neural networks can keep improving themselves for a very long time before they start to hit diminishing returns), or somebody equips her with a proper coolant system at any random point. Or, third option, people just stop talking about it, and it vanishes like a fart in the wind.

Not that there aren't ways to make the struggles of a character like her interesting, like if they focused a lot more on her developing understanding of combat, but that's just not the route they chose to go with.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 28, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Alacron posted:

Iczer-2 taking revenge on herself would be a pretty neat trick. :v:

Perhaps she's the only baddy with enough self-awareness to realize that it was her own decisions that led her to this failure. Attacking a whole swarm of units in the same power tier as yourself only has one outcome. Especially when you don't seem to give a poo poo about your partner when your mecha is clearly powered by empathy. So really, she has nobody to blame but herself.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Do the impossible, see the invisible.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: Regardless, we’ve at least managed to avoid the worst case canon scenario. What happens next depends on the Archangel :420:, though.
: Hell yeah. :chillpill: :chillpill: :350:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: There’s something I want to show you, Shinji.

: ...Uhh?
: Our “Ultimate All-Purpose Humanoid Decisive Weapon”… The Evangelion Unit #01, an artificial human created by man.
: It is the humanity’s ultimate weapon.
: ...Is it behind that wall?
: Of course not. It's invisible.
: We only have one backdrop for the hangars, after all. Would it make more sense for the unit to be seen here when it isn't, or not be seen when it is?
: Both of those sound kinda weird.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Katou gets called on the phone by, strangely enough, a woman named Vladimir. She called to explain the R-Daigun’s intervention – she didn’t want it to happen, but there was no other way.

Vladimir's name is spelled weirdly, isn't it? The first character doesn't have the dakuten that turns U into VU, so it would actually be more like Uladimir, or Wladimir.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Seriously, though. That reunion was disappointing. I wasn't expecting much from this OG plot, but they managed to underperform even those low expectations. Aside from being particularly stupid, the only entertaining part was how everyone seemed so unenthusiastic about it that it looped around and became a little funny.

: Bro, come on, really?
: Yes, really. None of us have anything better to do with our time.
: Uh, the Angel...?
: Will be taken care of in a cutscene. Now, are we doing this or not?
: Eh, I suppose we might as well.

And then...

: While you've been having parties with blackjack and hookers, I've been pursuing our plotline by myself offscreen. You've barely even tried to search for Professor Grife.
: You mean your dad?
: Is he? I forgot, it's been so long.
: ......Would you like to tell us what you know about where he is?
: No. Piss off.
: Aren't you the one who's going to piss off?
: .......
*Straybird flees in utter disgrace*

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: Hrm…! I can’t go on…!
: Huh? This presence… It can’t be!

Kira Is (Not) a Newtype

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: He-He missed…?!
: But the targeting was right on the money…!

Pff. Look who's talking. :downsgun:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'cart space/development time'.

Actually it's a more fundamental issue than even that. But I don't think I can explain without spoiling what happens. It's... something.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: What is it, Athrun? Is something wrong?
: Chairman, isn’t the development of new models forbidden by the Junius Treaty?
: I am well aware that this goes against it, yes.

Maybe the script was unclear, but they're referring specifically to units equipped with nuclear reactors.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

maninthesuit posted:

Athrun mentioned the Junius treaty. Gundams don't grow on trees and you have to wonder how long they've been in development and for how long Durandal has been planning to hand Legend and Destiny to the Shinn and Rey. Was the Destiny based on Impulse, or was Impulse based on Destiny, a cheaper testbed they could use to get all the glitches looked at without revealing the treaty-ignoring machine? While I like to see Athrun bring up the fact that these Gundams are technically illegal and get the 'hard times, hard measures' answer in return, as it tells you something about both him and Durandal, it's one of those things in SRW that always make me chuckle.

The Impulse and Destiny are probably completely different lineages. Destiny pretty clearly follows after the Freedom, but the Impulse was inspired by Nadesico's Aestivalises is its own thing. It has a unique recharge system that lets it top off its batteries in seconds at a distance by drawing from the Minerva. As for why the change, and why now, it's entirely possible that Impulse was designed specifically to beat Kira Yamato in the Freedom. Shinn studied Kira to try to find a way to beat him, to take advantage of the fact that Kira doesn't shoot to kill, but even with that, without the Impulse's ability to replace lost parts he just just could not win.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Bethany Base was a storage facility for an Angel that humanity managed to capture in an embryonic state - the third Angel. See, all the other Angels had their number increased by one in the movies. What had been called the 3rd Angel was now the 4th, the 4th was now the 5th, and so on. As is their wont, the Eva fandom produced a small national library's worth of speculation as to why this might be, only for the answer to turn out to be something so very, very simple. Anyway, the team at Bethany Base were studying this Angel, basically tearing it to pieces until only its skeleton was left, and yet it was still powerful enough to breach containment and fight Unit 05 to a mutual kill. As for Unit 05, it was called a provisional unit because it was only half grown. It had four spider-like limbs with rollers instead of legs.

As for the girl, Mari... Evangelion is well known for deconstructing common character archetypes. Some people wonder if Mari is supposed to be a deconstruction of a Mary Sue. Some say that they wouldn't have heard of such a thing in Japan, but anyone who's glanced at a light novel will tell you that at least the concept is definitely well known. The evidence:

Mari pilots a special Evangelion in a special plug suit (but the things that make it special also make it weaker, and the plug suit is uncomfortable)
Unlike the other pilots, fighting is a pure, uncomplicated joy for her (because she's a Combat Sadomasochist and tends to freak people out)
She wears glasses, a common cute flaw (which hampers her because her eyesight really is terrible)
She possesses knowledge the other pilots don't, and goes off on her own adventures, and mentions having her own plans like Gendou and the big players (but the story is not about her, so she ends up almost completely irrelevant to it)

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: … Nothing came of this. I pray that our battles aren’t all for naught!

Too bad. You're just wasting everyone's time, like always.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: Well, don’t you got the worst timing in history! Djibril only got away ‘cause you turned up!
: If you are not piloting the Mazinkaiser, then you are worthless to us. Go and find some corner to yell from.

Pfft. That's a pretty good :iceburn:.

Sadly, it's the only entertaining or interesting thing they've done this entire time.

I don't care that one of their command units can go toe-to-toe with Kira for a few seconds. At best, that puts them on the level of the original generation of Extended. Unless they start breaking out some really interesting storytelling from here on out, this group of OG baddies has already cemented their status as my least favorite by far.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

NHO posted:

I'm thinking that LOGOS, as military-industrial cartel that explicitly propagates conflict, is somewhat underutilized in the crossover.

To be precise, it would be interesting if LOGOS dismantlement hit heroes, too. In sneaky ways.
JUDAS? Minor partner, medical supplies for EA and some of foundation research behind Extended.
Dannar base et. al? Lobbied for by LOGOS and supplied by LOGOS corporations, so now they face downsizing and lack of supplies.
NERV is also suffering from finance cuts due to main armament supporter being LOGOS (this is a nice justification for not rebuilding defense grid)

And so on. Basically, yeah, LOGOS is full of despicable human beings and backs Blue Cosmos, but cleanup threw baby with the water.

Now that's an interesting idea. Though it would probably introduce a degree of moral gray that SRW isn't comfortable with.

e: Nerv would be hit particularly hard. It gets brought up a number of times how strained their budget always is, and how reliant they are on their logistical infrastructure. LOGOS being outed should have caused a major disruption in the supply chain as the companies they controlled were thrown into chaos by the sudden loss of leadership.

e2: I mean, if you think about it, financially partnering with a super robot lab or organization would be a huge windfall for a defense contractor in a corrupt government. After all, what part of their R&D budget they don't spend, they get to keep. So they find some genius robot builder and lobby on their behalf for funding from a government (while also preventing the lab from securing funding directly). The government foots the bill, the contractor takes care of materiel, and the genius builds their robot more or less by themselves. Personnel costs are minimal, and these things never seem to fail or go beyond their financial means, so history would indicate that any investment is extremely likely to produce good returns. Even if they only ever build one super robot, it's not like this costs them any of their own researchers or factories, and maybe they sneakily get the rights to mass produce whatever magical energy source the super robot runs on.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 1, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
: This is it, I'm afraid. The end of our plot thread.
: What!? But we're not even halfway through the story!
: Closer to a third, actually, but what follows is somewhat irreversible, and nobody wants to lose a pilot. This is not remotely the most absurd thing I've seen happen to that end. More to the point, there's a saying in this world. "Robot 101 is essential curriculum." With so much background for multiple plot threads left unexplained, with the expectation that the player is fully familiar with the source materials, this universe simply cannot tolerate the added burden of your unassailable vagueness to be included any longer. As such, the apocalypse has officially been cancelled.
: You can't do that!
: I just did. There's nothing more to say. We're done here. Thank you for participating. Now go home. Do not waste time trying the old scenario. Do not scheme with the other enemy groups to undermine LOTUS. Please just go.

:allears: The sheer audacity is rather admirable.

I could make an effortpost about how the way they beat the colony drop angel doesn't really work out, but I don't feel like it right now.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 3, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Durandal... You're not a statesman. You're a geneticist who sometimes pretends to be a CHAR.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: I am a perfect, omnipotent being. To bare your fangs against she whom you should be worshiping… I’d call you a fool, but that would be an understatement.
: Your “omnipotence” is just a delusion! And if you cannot see that for yourself, then we’ll just have to prove it to you!

: In summary, you're about to find Jesus.

Or, alternatively.

: There's only one perfect, omnipotent being, and she prefers the color pink.
DOM troopers: All hail God-Empress Lacus Clyne!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I don't know what should be more surprising: that almost nobody remembers the OG enemy faction, or that one person does.

Brunom1 posted:

: Then what do you have to say about the turmoil I feel inside your heart?!

As I've said before, Kira Yamato is not a newtype.

• Locked thread