Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, I knew something good was coming when I saw Brunom's name on the new LPs thread and I am not disappointed. I'm yet another person who knows nothing of L, so I'm looking forward to learning.

I'm confused about the Valkyries here though. Are they unable to transform in this game? Also, do you just start with the packs ready and installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Figured I didn't need to put it there since it's only a handful of SEED units that show up here.

Ah, the Char's Counterattack treatment.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr. Snark posted:

Okay, real talk: I get what they were going for and the concept behind it is interesting on paper...but the problem is that what I see as a viewer is basically Athrun transparently cosplaying as Quattro and thus I end up focusing less on the legitimate reasons and interesting character ideas behind it and instead I go "lol, look at the lame zeta gundum reference."

You could say that about a lot of things in SEED Destiny.

Also I find it interesting that apparently Combattler V and Voltes V here happened in entirely different universes. Normally it seems SRW really likes putting them both together, but here their events are not connected at all. It'll be interesting to see their casts meet for the first time and more people point out the obvious similarities between the robots.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sordas Volantyr posted:

...Linebarrel's of those deconstructive sorts of series, isn't it?

Pretty much. The entire point of early Linebarrel is that Koichi constantly screams that he's a CHAMPION OF JUSTICE but he's full of poo poo, and the events around him will force him to actually live up to his claims. Which I can imagine will only happen even harder when he's surrounded by actual heroes in this crossover game.

Later Linebarrel...is more complicated, and I've forgotten a lot because scanlations for some reason stopped for years and now I want to reread from the beginning. And the anime apparently heavily deviates from the manga and I only know the latter, so I'm not sure what will actually happen here.

Brunom, you called that bully "Furuya" the first time and "Furiya" the following ones. I'm not sure which is right but one must be wrong. Another grammar correction:

quote:

If you’ve the will to fight, the call out the Linebarrel…!

That "the" should be "then".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr Pepper posted:

I can't help but see Kouichi as "Psychotic Kira Yamato" for some reason.

The reason is Hiraiface.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The head looks really awkward, but other than that Machina Altron is actually pretty neat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Anna: Goh! He’s here…!

Lacking a portrait here.

quote:

: (Hrk… We’ve got new enemies cropping up and I still can’t fight properly…?!]

Wrong end to that sentence.

Brunom1 posted:

And Iczer-1 takes a couple of levels, leaving Attack Combo. Nice.[/i]

Weird. I thought you'd want to keep that, not leave it :v:

Also I'm...very confused about Goddannar, did this game join mid-way through the series or something? I really don't understand what's going on, but it does look like an interesting show. Iczer...maybe is good too? I dunno, I don't know either series. I'm willing to watch them if they're good though!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

: He’s right! This won’t mean anything if we all don’t make it back! Alice, can you think of anything to help all mechs?!

I think this one's Ichitaka, not Shinn.

Also, if they survived re-entry thanks to Ichitaka and Alice stopping an attacker and then using the Rushbird's Laplace Wall...what happens to Shinn and Athrun in the other route? Are they dead? Is this how Banpresto is adapting Destiny now?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

: These are the seeds of peace. You will not burn them away.
: It’s… a Gundam?!

I know I said earlier that I was shocked that Banpresto would adapt Destiny by killing off Shinn and Athrun in the Junius Seven drop, but I didn't think they'd kill Kira off too!

Also seeing this I realize that what Destiny needed was some Lady Une (and rewriting drat near everything, but details). She just goddamn destroyed Djibril here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I dunno why you guys are so surprised about Kouichi taking his sweet time in joining the party; the most obviously busted unit playing hard-to-get is a time honored SRW tradition.

I sure hope he doesn't follow Akito's example and join at the very end of the loving game.

The Aestivalis were already bad enough, W, I didn't need one that joined far too late to change my team.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If this is happening after the series and EW...holy poo poo, Wufei is just entirely incapable of actually learning a lesson, huh? He's just literally doing exactly the same he did in EW, jeez.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have no idea why they changed Soubi so much between versions but it annoys me. I don't get why they didn't actually adapt the manga and instead kind of did their own, worse, thing (with an awful opening).

Also Koichi changing portraits and battle sprites once he joins is neat. He's smiling! And he has a cool suit! Now he can truly be a Champion of Justice.

Also also, small grammar mistake on the first post: "What’s the matter, Iczer-1? Surely that’s now all you’ve got." I'd quote it but :effort:.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mikl posted:

You see, guys? It doesn't matter what we have to do (reach a new page) so much as what we want to do (reach a new page).

While my post is unneccesary now, I'll take the chance to point out that this LP has gotten me reading Linebarrels again (after leaving it because we didn't get translations for years, and then when they came back I didn't remember anything). Goddamn I had forgotten how bad some of these translations are, but beyond that, Linebarrels is good. Though rereading the manga is also making it even more clear just how much the anime changed, even the beginning is completely different.

Whoever adapted it was not a Champion of Justice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, okay, I think I've figured out the plot of Linebarrels the anime. Take everything from the manga, distort it until it looks nothing like it originally did, then show it on TV. Did I get that right?

I haven't seen the anime so my main point of comparison is this LP, but yes, basically.

Consider this, the very beginning is totally different. Whiny, bullied Koichi would be horribly out of place in the manga, where we immediately start with Factor Koichi on a giant power-trip, and absolutely as the Nº1 bully of his school, picking fights with his gang because he could and it made him (in his own eyes alone) an ALLY OF JUSTICE. Hell, Koichi being bullied by Furuya is really loving weird because in the manga Furuya is Koichi's underling, if one that's very unhappy about it. Also Emi being the one that has to call the Linebarrel and not Koichi doesn't fit how the manga works at all, where Koichi has complete control over that and Emi calling it later is actually a very big deal because it destroys her masquerade.

And from what I read what's coming later just completely fucks up everything in favour of a much worse plot, so I'm looking forward to it if only to see how SRW tries to save that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

I have this idea stuck in my head that Ichitaka is really short, but I have no idea where I got it from beyond that he's in middle school.

There's probably official information on the characters' heights but I don't know where to get it from (likely Japanese sites). As it is, I've always imagined Ichitaka as taller than pre-timeskip Kazuma but shorter than the rest of the SRW protagonists Brunom has used (with Rand as the tallest). Of course, that's just how I picture it, I have no way to actually check that out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

I want to say that there's no way Kazuma grew that much during a six month timeskip, but then again Ruri aged three years in that time frame so :v:

Kazuma hits puberty hard in those six months for some reason, I mean, compare him both pre- and post-timeskip:

I can't imagine that didn't come with some extra centimeters of height.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

I love the novelty of a villain just dropping by to explain his evil plots. It lead to the annoying trope of him getting away Scott Free because of ~master planning~ but whatever, at least he put on a good show.

Also Wufei is still as big a dirtbag as ever, I see. Was this the last SRW to feature Wing?

Linebarrels of Iron is surprisingly chill about the interactions between both sides. The manga at least, I'm not sure if the anime follows that beyond this scene considering how nothing Katou said here has any place in the manga beyond the existence of Kizaki Amagatsu.

And no, it wasn't. L came out on 2010, Z2 came out on April 2011, just to give one example of a later game with Wing in it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

That whole bit about :sparkles:IMAGINATION:sparkles: was so dumb, it almost loops around to being awesome.

Almost.

That's the entire manga.

It's much more amazing than it sounds.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

:siren: Secret Alert! :siren:
Do at least one of the following:
[list][*]Have Kouichi shoot down Soubi.
[*]Shoot down the Glain-Neidr within 7 turns.

Your list is broken here.

Brunom1 posted:

Dannar: That red bot from before showed up and saved the Dancouga… At least that’s what it looked like.

I'm guessing this is meant to be the other Tetsuya, considering the "Dannar" there.

Also, you keep calling that guy piloting the Talisman "Soubi Nakajima". That can't be Soubi, even if that's the Talisman, his personality and alliance are totally opposite to how they should be. I suggest we call him "Notbi" for the time being. And forever.

In less "gently caress the anime" things, a bit of a question: you keep calling Moritsugu by his first name, as well as having Yamashita and the others do the same. This is not how it goes in the manga, where only one recurring character actually calls him Reiji, and he's Moritsugu at any other time. The game itself seems to call him by his last name as well, as if my very low knowledge of Japanese isn't failing me, the first kanji of his name (at least in-battle) is "mori". Is that an actual change in the anime in comparison to the manga, or is it something you went with for some reason?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

So, what I'm seeing here is that Jack Smith is pretty much the coolest guy in Linebarrels?

In a world where everyone fights using giant robots, he is the robot. Coupled with him having actually a pretty reasonable personality unlike some of his peers (Sawatari, Ousei), it makes him extremely likable. So yeah, he's basically the coolest guy in Linebarrels.

Alacron posted:

They're really going all in on this IMAGINTATION thing aren't they? Was that a thing in the manga, or was it another invention of the anime?

That and what a CHAMPION OF JUSTICE is are basically the two main points of the manga. And for all it's...not working here, it becomes far more tolerable and interesting once it's actually explained in the manga. That said, this is based on the anime, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MightyPretenders posted:

This is my introduction to Linebarrels. Not impressed so far, but I do like how it's been linked in with other series.

As was said before, L takes the anime version, which is bad. The manga is good. Read the manga and become a true champion of justice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Then again, Alice DID confirm that Grife was following traditional Japanese mech engineering, so it stands to reason that he had a secret weapon installed that will only be unveiled when dramatically appropriate.
... But, wait, Grife isn't here to go "I thought something like this might happen, so...!" and unlock the feature! We're doomed!

It's fine. He isn't there, but he probably hid a video inside the Rushbird or even an AI replica of himself that can appear as a hologram or take over Alice when it is needed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

I enjoy the fact that the bot’s barrier actually has plot significance and isn’t just a feature that’s there. On the flip side, Kosuke, wouldn’t it have been safer for everyone to have used, like, a Dankuuhou instead of the city-slicing beam sword? Or maybe had the Rushbird hitch a ride on the Great Booster?

You misunderstand. The Executor is a beam gun, not a beam sword. That it's used as a beam sword is entirely due to Kouichi entirely failing to understand the purpouse of his own weaponry (although he gets very good results anyways), it was always meant to be used as a gun. And it'd be a far better choice than the Dankuuhou like that, considering this one's a single blast instead of several guns all shot together.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The more I hear about K, the more I want someone to LP it just so I can see if it really lives up to the (un)hype.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

On the plus side, apparently it treats Cagalli really well. That's unusual for Destiny adaptations. Or Destiny itself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

: Shizuru!
: A-An…na…
: Shizuru, is something wrong?!

Ken sure calmed down quickly, too bad he doesn't remember he's to blame for this :v:

quote:

: It’s all because of me… I should have stopped him, or fought harder, or, or…!
: Anna... We all did everything we could out there.
: And while I know that won’t make you feel any better, beating ourselves over what happened won’t bring Shizuru back.
: Guys…

Should Anna change to her pilot face here? It'd make sense with her emotional state, but she wasn't using the pilot image on her previous line.

Also, I know this is probably the single worst moment to ask this considering you likely lost the unit seeing how both pilots are out of commision, but, is there any particular difference between the Goddannar with either Okusaer? Can you even unite the Neo with the Dannar after Anna joins? The story seems to suggest no, at least.

And this will come across as a bit whiny, and repeating a previous thing I said, but I genuinely don't get one of your translation choices, namely having everyone refer to Moritsugu by name. I get your explanation for it, but it's inconsistent, everyone refers to him as Mr. Moritsugu because he's higher-ranked, keeping the whole thing extremely formal (since Moritsugu isn't exactly the friendliest guy, as we've seen). You had people call each other by last names in this update due to formality, he seems to be the only exception you're making (and Kiriyama as Eiji, but I don't think you had anyone directly refer to him by name, only the narration). Furthermore, you kept everyone calling Yamashita by last name, despite being no formal reason to do so outside of a Japanese context. I wouldn't point it out, but with knowledge of what happens later in the series (and not exactly a lot later), there's a whole two people who refer to Moritsugu as "Reiji" and it's kind of important who they are, seeing how they're genuinely close to him. And while I'd expect it to be cut considering manga/anime differences...well, I don't think it will be different here, seeing how the plot points that lead to them are already in the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stella. The other secret gives you at least an interesting pilot/mecha combo, I doubt you get anything from not getting Stella back.

Also Kiriyama killed the Prime Minister and took over Japan...what? What the hell? That's not even remotely what happened in the manga! Literally the only thing that's in common between them right now is Kiriyama Heavy Industries attacking JUDA with their Jinrais! I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Kiriyama in the anime doesn't get a redemption arc, considering how even the manga version was an rear end in a top hat, but this one's taken actions I genuinely doubt the Japanese society could forgive.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

My vote is for STELLA!!!

I'm sorry, but I think you meant to link to this video (might contain spoilers, although I'm not sure how much they'd affect this game anyways).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

: I’m sure that, someday, humanity will come together in peace.
: So don’t give up. We’ll just keep on doing whatever we can in this.
: Right!

Considering how the conversation goes, I'm guessing the second portrait here should be Murrue, not Kira.

quote:

: Really digging the new Destroys! We’ll have Berlin down to a smoldering crater in no time

And this is definitely not Dearka. I know he likes guns, but those are a bit too big for his standards.

quote:

: I… I’ll kill them all!

This should probably be the angry Stella portrait, considering she's in full Destroy-mode.

quote:

Speaking of, Dearka’s just delivered Durandals orders to the Minerva: stop the Alliance’s attack at Berlin. And, yes, Dearka confirms that they’ve already petitioned LOTUS for help with this.

quote:

: I need to draw her attention over as much as I can or Shin’ll be in even more danger!

Brunom1 posted:

: Maybe, but they’re more like a guerilla group. We’re won’t be able to turn the other cheek forever, don’t you think?

Small grammar mistakes.

quote:

And, in case you’re curious, no, saving Stella isn’t what that secret entails – she survives regardless in this game, because Kira and the others aren’t sanctimonious idiots this time. The secret is to eventually get her as an actual unit. If that changes things to you folks, feel free to edit your votes.

Oh. Then yes, consider my vote changed to Michel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What...what the gently caress is this poo poo? Moritsugu betrays everyone, sure, that's part of the manga, as is Emi taking over Linebarrel, but all the rest? What the gently caress? Starting from Moritsugu shooting Ishigami, to him allying with Katou rather than Kiriyama having his own faction (with traitors from both sides, even), just...what? And Domyouji acting as anyone except himself, too! This is another loving Notbi moment, so he's Nomyouji now.

gently caress, I think every time the anime appears I get a bit more mad at this adaptation of a bad adaptation of a genuinely good manga.

Also the name "Mode-B" never existed in the manga, but I can see why the anime would want to name it since "Linebarrel (Override)" is kind of hard to use and could get confusing with the ability it is made to use, the Override proper.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

We open up at JUDA, with Kiriyama asking if Eiji managed to figure out what LOTUS is up to. Is he worried? Not very, more like wondering where we might’ve run off to when he controls pretty much all facilities that’d be of use to us in Japan.

I know the guy's got one gigantic ego, but I doubt he's asking himself here.

quote:

Regardless, we all know what our jobs job will be, so Misato dismisses everyone to rest until the mission. Daiya already hustles Puria and Naoto to catch some forty winks, and while Puria grunts at what a mother hen he is, she’s not against it.

I could see someone named that in Gundam. Sadly, the character I thought of is actually Job John, not Job Jobs.

quote:

: I can sing… kind of… (Aya Hirano has done a decent bunch of songs!)

I'm not sure what she is in the anime (seeing how she's a completely different character, much like Soubi) but in the manga, Miu is an idol singer with an important fanbase...and with a lot of haters that lead her to attempt suicide and give her a very nasty side. But the only thing of that that is still in is her crush on Koichi, so that's probably a reference to her voice actress anyways...

And talking about anime changes, nothing of this existed in the manga, but goddamn Ishigami's still perfectly in-character, so long as all of this has a point beyond showing "oh look how crazy he is lol!".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

I'm not sure what purpose all these tests could have beyond "Ishigami sure is wacky!" but I kind of love them regardless :allears:

The Katou guys talking about getting revenge for Riku falls kind of flat considering we barely know anything about him or the rest of them. Not sure if that's the anime's fault or the fact that it's a SRW game and certain scenes had to be cut.

And wouldn't Reiji know about the secret entrance and move to stop it? More evidence that he's pulling a Sanger.

In the manga at least, stuff like this always led to Ishigami improving someone, leading them down the right path in unconventional ways that only he could ever think made any sort of sense, but that nonetheless worked without fail, regardless of how they might annoy his own subordinates. That said, I can't even begin to comprehend what's the point of this, but hey, as I said, the only person who understands Ishigami's ridiculous planning ability is Ishigami. And a Machina that won't appear in this game, as it was cut from the anime, considering it can't appear at all now with Ishigami dead.

That "revenge for Riku" falls flat is probably the anime's fault, since nothing like this happened in the manga. In fact, in the manga, it's Sawatari that murders Riku, under Katou's orders, as the fatass that murdered well over 20000 people to test his imagination had turned to not help the Katou Organization at all, go figure. No one mourns him, because no one liked him. It may not be clear now, but the Katou people are mostly well-intentioned, if willing to do some pretty shady poo poo to get to their goals, Riku is by far the most evil of them, with Sawatari a somewhat-farther second. Though Notbi here does not help in making them look good, and Yurianne lost a lot of important scenes.

For the last point, I doubt Moritsugu knows about the secret entrance, seeing how the only person that knew was Yui, Ishigami's right hand. Moritsugu is undeniably the third in the command list, but he's also just a pilot, I wouldn't be surprised if that information was kept far from his hands, especially when Ishigami is an exceedingly good judge of character most of the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

Ishigami's security system makes no sense and I imagine it is one of those things that would drive me up the wall if I had read the Linebarrels manga.

It's fine. Absolutely none of this happened in the manga.

Like, literally, the one thing that both have in common right now is Moritsugu joining Kiriyama, and even there the situation is wildly different (Kiriyama never took over Japan in the manga, nor did he ally with the Katou Organization, and Moritsugu didn't murder Ishigami).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Kurara: Blah… Playing bait’s so boring.

Lacking a portrait here.

Also smiling Rei is cute. I keep being surprised at how L adds new portraits for characters, while at the same time still not having a bunch of them normally like the OG games already did by this point. Weird effort.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I didn't expect the Rushbird to have Meiou, but that's a good thing.

It means you have at least two Tekkamen and the Zeorymer, so the game's effectively shattered to pieces.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have a broken [b] tab at the end of the update, Brunom, below the last image.

Also Baruba Jeeg is cool as hell in the series proper and I'm glad it's strong here too. Too bad it lasted for less than one stage before the Bronze Bells were taken, but that's life.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Imagine this mission, but with Z2 Heero and Wing Zero instead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Glazius posted:

You have to wonder what goes through the minds of people who kidnap Relena. "Sure," they think, "everyone else who's tried has had their entire armies wiped out by a single robot, but surely this time will be different."

Don't forget how she's never been helpful to people that tried to use her and has used said opportunities to her advantage.

Even without Heero, kidnapping Relena is a bad idea because she's Relena.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

I wish they'd put Relena in charge of a battleship. Use a little creative license, guys.

You'll want to play SD Gundam G Generation for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is slightly backwards, the Chaos, Abyss and Gaia were created before these. These were possible packs based on said Gundams, although apparently none of them was really created.

I'd love to have that Gaia Impulse in a game someday though.

• Locked thread