Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, weird to see the prologue doesn't introduce the originals at all. I don't know much about most srw games but that seems out of the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

After 2 prologues the game's moving pretty fast now. Only 1 map in and the originals are already joining an official team made up of various different different shows. I feel like it usually takes a bit longer for that to happen.

Originals seem pretty cool and their theme is great, but this Kouichi dude is kind of a tool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

I'm really starting to get the thread title now. Much more than W, MX, Z, or any others, this game seems to assume you're very familiar with the source material. Or is that due to the translation? But it seems like it's jumping back and forth too much. Like, here's the Frontier. Now we're in the PLANTs. Now we're on Earth. Here's Jeeg. Oh, and Kouji Kabuto just happens to be here too. Etc.

Technically it's only chapter 2 and I think it's not too uncommon in srw games for the first 2 chapters to focus on largely different series, but with the prologues on top of those chapters 5 or so completely unconnected shows have showed up and the one's from the prologue aren't even really relevant with the story yet. So it does seem sorta weird.

Now that the protagonist is around and a team is forming, the characters appearing and all will probably start getting more consistent at least.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Haven't seen the show but I think I really like the idea of the Kaikink. A rush job of a robot trying to replace a one of a kind mech that falls to pieces every attack. It'll be a shame when it gets upgraded, which I imagine will happen eventually.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Guy Fawkes posted:

I always liked SRW (and mecha anime) but this time I must say there is a noticeable lack of likable characters.

The only ones i'd say are unlikeable are parts of the Linebarrel and Jeeg casts. Most of the other characters seem pretty cool.

I don't really see too much wrong with Reiji so far either. Like, hardass military instructor man is always kind of a lame archetype for a character to start with especially in a series with a fairly light tone which srw usually is, but it's not an uncommon type of character and he doesn't seem uniquely bad or anything,

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kinda strange how significant sounding this route choice is. Like, I doubt there'll be much difference in the long run between the two choices but the options being between following orders or trying to save people feels more important than the usual route selection.

Choosing to save Shinn and Athrun looks like it involves a more interesting scene too. Ichitaka and Alice are good kids.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eeepies posted:

This is why I still love Z's interpretation of Durandal. "drat, I'm wrong and it looks like men really should be able to choose their own path. Ok, bye everyone, also, Frost Brothers, here's a beam from my megaweapon!"

tbf Durandal was being pretty evil before that realisation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ichitaka and Alice seem like good kids who have had some cool and funny scenes and decent interactions with other characters. Even if these interactions aren't treated as like a big deal Ichitaka fanboying over a couple of characters, and the both of them learning how to Super Robot better, have had fun moments.

They're not the most interesting characters but I feel like there's merit in having Original characters and plot that aren't a super major focus. V was sorta similar and I enjoyed the originals from that game quite a bit, though yeah the earlier chapters definitely gave the originals more focus. And honestly coming off the MX lp, having the originals just be good dudes who get along with and support each other is pretty ok considering how kind of an rear end Hugo could be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Alice will evolve as an AI due to the power of friendship or hot-blood or something, and her getting over this problem will be treated as a step forward in character development. Or maybe she'll just get an upgrade at some point I dunno. It feels weird to say it is an arbitrary problem which will be handled poorly when the development isn't over yet. So far it's just been treated as an obstacle like Ichitaka's relative rookie-ness is. So I don't think it's really been that dumb so far. And if your problem is that it doesn't really make sense for an AI, well I don't think SRW was ever going to feature and intelligent and accurate look on AI development. Though I recently go through V which has several AI who develop and grow in ways I don't think actual AI would be able to so maybe I was prepared for this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah but I think it'd be pretty easy to have that tie in with actual character growth. Like having this issue be overcome thanks to her really wanting to save someone or sacrificing herself or something and this moment of growth leads to her overcoming this AI block. That's not to say that will happen. There's enough srw translations now for me to know they don't always nail their characters and I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the originals from the latter handheld games are kinda bad, don't know if that included L but it's a possibility. But I still think it's a little early to say the resolution to this problem is going to be unsatisfying when it hasn't been resolved yet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yuu seems really boring.

Also, i'm glad Reiji pulled some strings to get the kids to visit Shinji because I was beginning to think that in a strange reversal of how it usually goes the tough-rear end by the books leader man of the group was actually getting more jerkish as the game went on rather than less.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only thing I hear about K is Mist. Is it just generic outside of the originals or is it actually decent but Mist just overshadows everything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like not having seen either version of Linebarrels is helping me enjoy this more because while the Linebarrels stuff hasn't been super great I don't think it's really been awful or anything outside of Kouichi's first couple of appearances.

Reiji's betrayal kinda feels like it came out of nowhere though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked the reversal in roles with Alice and Ichitaka from the beginning of the game. This time it was Alice who had a vague idea of how to pilot their robot and had to explain to her co-pilot what to do, while Ichitaka just followed instructions hoping that something would work. It probably would've been a stronger moment if they had been a bit more important throughout the game, but it's a neat idea. Yuu is still pretty boring and lame though.

Also, it might just because i sometimes skim through the levels intros and such, but now that a lot of the shows that started mid-season are getting into the meat of their story it's getting sorta hard to remember everything that's going on with their plot and all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

Yeah I get the impression that in the source material, Ken would have died here, and Lou is both a young kid (I think) and also presumably this being the finale, they didn't need to fight after this anyway. It's just a weird conceit due to this being a SRW game as mentioned.

Wait this was Godannar's finale? That was kinda underwhelming. Especially since the other route is doing the Jeeg finale and that's been much cooler.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jeeg seems like a good show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

Bethany Base was a storage facility for an Angel that humanity managed to capture in an embryonic state - the third Angel. See, all the other Angels had their number increased by one in the movies. What had been called the 3rd Angel was now the 4th, the 4th was now the 5th, and so on. As is their wont, the Eva fandom produced a small national library's worth of speculation as to why this might be, only for the answer to turn out to be something so very, very simple. Anyway, the team at Bethany Base were studying this Angel, basically tearing it to pieces until only its skeleton was left, and yet it was still powerful enough to breach containment and fight Unit 05 to a mutual kill. As for Unit 05, it was called a provisional unit because it was only half grown. It had four spider-like limbs with rollers instead of legs.

As for the girl, Mari... Evangelion is well known for deconstructing common character archetypes. Some people wonder if Mari is supposed to be a deconstruction of a Mary Sue. Some say that they wouldn't have heard of such a thing in Japan, but anyone who's glanced at a light novel will tell you that at least the concept is definitely well known. The evidence:

Mari pilots a special Evangelion in a special plug suit (but the things that make it special also make it weaker, and the plug suit is uncomfortable)
Unlike the other pilots, fighting is a pure, uncomplicated joy for her (because she's a Combat Sadomasochist and tends to freak people out)
She wears glasses, a common cute flaw (which hampers her because her eyesight really is terrible)
She possesses knowledge the other pilots don't, and goes off on her own adventures, and mentions having her own plans like Gendou and the big players (but the story is not about her, so she ends up almost completely irrelevant to it)

I don't really know anything about Evangelion but most of those sound like fairly common characteristics. Especially 'wears glasses because she has bad eyesight'.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With the talk of cooking beforehand did Alice and Ichitaka learn their ultimate attack by drawing back on a time they had to make something to help a crazy scientist with his hangover? That's not really how I expected that to go I must say.

Also, I like Proist's evil face and her dino/dragon bot. Attacks seemed kind of lackluster though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Yajima just seems to be using that as an excuse to try and get Kouichi to quit fighting and be safe. He doesn't come off as bad as Yuuki.

Also, man. The Katou guys are loving weird. They're trying real hard with this whole 'imagination' metaphor but I don't think they're pulling it off. Still glad I haven't read Linebarrels though because all this just comes off as a robot show that's big on the drama with a strange villain group rather than an affront to writing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Logicblade posted:

I can kind of understand you getting in bed with the Alliance to keep war from torching the country again… but what is the goddamn point of sticking up to Logos now?!

I imagine that's supposed to be "sucking up to".

In any case, the Seed destiny stuff is still as dumb as ever.

It's been silly and all but like everyone from Destiny seem to be working together now and listening to each other and getting along. I guess the story surrounding it is still dumb but despite having a lot of the same setup everyone's being a lot more sensible.

Also man, he's stopped actively fighting everyone but Yuu's still such a loser.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm surprised this is how they decide to end the Eva plot. Not come up with an original ending or even just saying at the end of the game "well I guess we haven't resolved the EVA plot yet but we'll be prepared when it happens" just straight up say 'nah that's it the plot just ain't going to happen. Dimension's messed up or something'. Though I guess that's certainly still a way to handle it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Weren't the Katou Organisation introduced blowing up a town or something? I don't really know how that fits their goal of secretly actually being good guys.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is this the first time Voltes has done anything in this game ever? I completely forgot they were in the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man it really took a long time to get all the Wing guys, huh? I guess it was a pretty unique way of utilising the show though.

Also, L's og villains still seem pretty anemic but i'm never not going to be happy about fighting an evil president. It's a good villain archetype.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

To me it kinda sounds like a halfway ok name for a huge battleship or something. But for a mech it’s not a great name.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess even in this Destiny adaption where everyone is mostly sensible and listens to each other and gets along, Durandal and pals still need go completely evil all of a sudden. Though I like how it turns out even then most of his evil decisions were made by other people and he seems to sincerely regret them. I've only really experienced Destiny through SRW, and from what I understand it always goes through major changes. But still, compared to Z L seems to have really changed up Destiny a lot. More than they usually do with most series it feels like.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's really weird the Rushbird never got an upgrade if only because i'm so used to that being a thing with OG bots. I know some series will have mechs, even main character mechs, that never get upgrades but it just feels strange for that to happen with an OG protagonist. I only really know of more recent srw games but I can't think of another og mc that never gets an upgrade.

Also, the L villains may be pretty underwhelming but i'm still glad they're led by an evil president. Evil presidents are cool, Gloria just needs to be buffer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With some of the stuff Ludo was saying at the end there he really feels like a half-finished villain, some of that stuff probably should've gotten more play than being announced as he was dying. Oh well, guess that's something for OGs to expand on. I had similar thoughts about the MX villains but they ended up being one of the major players in OG2nd.

That map seemed pretty cool though. It had a couple of extra objectives beyond just being a straight boss fight. Having to take down the shield generator first feels like a pretty common part of a boss fight but I don't know how often srw uses it, and even if the missiles were rather easy to deal with having a second way to fail the mission other than everyone dying is a decent idea and gives you more stuff to think about in the final map.

I kinda get why L is one of the less talked about SRWs after this LP honestly, but it still seemed like a pretty good title and a solid game. Glad I got to experience it through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I meant more that the final maps of OG2nd was all alpha and MX plot, they're the last two surviving stories in the game. Mostly alpha yeah, and the MX story and character gets changed a whole lot for OG but it's a part of the plot from near the very beginning and elements of it are still kicking throughout the entire story even when it doesn't take centre stage a whole lot. It's a major part of the game

• Locked thread