Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More Brunom SRW LPs. You're a beast, but this is highly appreciated, especially with how the GC translation effort just petered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brunom1 posted:

: I might need to equip Simon, John and Peter with characterized AIs…

It bugs me to no end that Simon and Peter are both references to the same person.

By the way, are you using Desmume or Medusa as your emulator of choice?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw a chart on /m/ on that had the alphabet replaced with SRW titles (except where there wasn't a game for that letter). I've been scouring the internet, but the image eludes me.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brunom1 posted:

: You are already dead.

: No. You are, already, again.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brunom1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmFriqcS6OU
The first of Kenji’s combined attacks with the Big Shooter. I question the efficiency of a bazooka that’s bigger than the user…[/i]

Better a bazooka than a non-recoil-less rifle that's bigger than the user.

Playing along with this LP made me want to go and continue my playthrough of W that I hadn't touched in two years. I finally beat Z Master, after killing Aria as many times as I had bless + luck casts. My dedication to kill her that many times is probably why it took me so long to get back to playing that. However, I got 1.2 million credits from that stage, so it was all worth it.

Switching between W and L is pretty jarring. They've got quite a bit of changes between them. I should give L more time to make an impression on me, but so far I like W better.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Montegoraon posted:

I'm really starting to get the thread title now. Much more than W, MX, Z, or any others, this game seems to assume you're very familiar with the source material. Or is that due to the translation? But it seems like it's jumping back and forth too much. Like, here's the Frontier. Now we're in the PLANTs. Now we're on Earth. Here's Jeeg. Oh, and Kouji Kabuto just happens to be here too. Etc.

I'll go with quality of the translation. Consider that W has 70 different scenarios, and L has 55. Despite that, MNeidengard's summary of W is just under 1 MB in size and Kern's summary of L is 350K. Kern has less than half as much stuff written per stage. I'm sure that affects the quality of the narrative.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alacron posted:

So Godannar has a character who looks like he stepped out of a Go Nagai series, and his name is Kouji Tetsuya? :allears:

SRWL is in a bit of a time loop you see. There's a reason he has that name.

Edit: old link wasn't showing up.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 6, 2017

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm four months behind the LP and probably won't catch up before you finish, but I wanted to chime in. L seems a lot more subdued than W. The stages are going by quicker and everything seems to have a lot less gravitas. I wanted to say that it feels like you're rushing the stages (and there are a few that feel that way), but I've been playing along, and the stages really do go by a lot quicker, and with less reinforcements. Of the first 11 stages, the stage where Nagisa and Koichi finally join up has been the best.

One thing I really miss is the intermission update that you did in W. I enjoyed seeing all the detail you went into into upgrading the units and pilots. Although a good chunk of that is that I like Luck/Bless spamming and seeing how much money I can make.

Brunom1 posted:

: Carrying on, we’ve Rachel Calvin versus Kosuke Kita! The genius girl versus the brilliant boy!
: I’m winning this one, Kosuke!
: I say the same!
: We’ll be asking questions from the grad school world championship quizzes of the past ten years. First question: who is known for the discovery of superc—
: Heike Kamerlingh Onnes!
: Correct! Second question: what diagram plots the absolute magnitude of sta—
: The Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram!
: Correct!
: Not bad, Kosuke.
: You, too. But this competition’s just getting started!
: They’re not even listening to the whole question before answering…
: I’ve the sinking feeling they’ve memorized all questions ever given in those tests.
: What the Christ…

Yes, some of us nerds did that. The grammatical error is always "mixed metaphor", the genre of music is always Jazz, and twice, we managed to solve a math problem without hearing all of it (but that was from accidentally buzzing in too early, not having memorized a math problem).

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brunom1 posted:

Sorry, time constraints meant I had to simplify the gameplay related stuff in order to make sure I could get at least one update out per week. Between that and skimping out on plot detail, that seemed like the better end to cut back on.

I feel you. Time constraints are the bane of my existence. If it weren't for time constraints, SRW GC would have been translated instead of dead.

And yes, I'd rather you skimp on the upgrade menu than on the plot.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brunom1 posted:

Maybe I’ve been spoiled by Seven Swells and Meioh’s, but the game really isn’t playing ball with MAPW setups for me.

MAPW opportunities don't just appear. They're created by baiting the AI to dance to your tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E67mCQQzvs

Coincidentally that's one of several reasons why I always end up abandoning SRW runs. I'm far too OCD about things like this.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brunom, would you mind uploading your save file before you close out this thread completely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks!

• Locked thread