Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Super Robot Wars L... I have nothing to say about this. I know nothing about this game, so I'm looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Brunom1 posted:

Ah, there wouldn't really be any point in doing V since I'm 99% sure people on youtube have already handled that.

I was half tempted to do K due to Gun x Sword but chose this one since, first, it had almost no story guides and, two, I was curious about Iczer since I never saw those OVAs.

Half surprised that K having Mist wasn't one of the reasons to skip it, or does that go without saying?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

Off the top of my head, the list of SRWs (aside from L) where the protagonist is not introduced/included in the action right at minute one are:

--Alpha Gaiden (Tetsuya waits until the first route split to appear)
--J (Calvina is on the Nadesico to start, but doesn't get her robot until the second stage)
--D (The first prologue stage is Getter Robo Armageddon's introduction and features neither Josh or Rim, who show up in the second prologue)
--Z2.2 (Esther is the lead for the first 15ish stages, then Crowe returns to take over the role)

Plus the first 3 stages of Z2.2 are prologues

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

: Indeed, to say nothing of that fact that we’ve no idea the fire these embers could cause if ignored. We’ve to adjust our priorities.
Talia: LtCmdr., could you get us in touch with your mothership?
: Alright. Hold on while I relay you.

Missing a picture of Talia here.

Edit: How many SRW games have "different dimensions" as the reason some series get slammed into each other? I mean, I can get why they'd do it, makes it easier to work around some series, but still.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

To be fair, Macross F didn't really need it be another dimension. From what I can see thus far, the reason they had to do it here is to justify Iczer-1 and 3 happening at the same time.

Still though, how many games use that? We've got L, the entire Z series (which is 5 games, 7 if you count special disc and Rengoku-hen) and V. Am I missing any?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Raxivace posted:

Doesn't A/A Portable use something like that too?

I'm giving A/A Portable a pass since that's just the originals

ImpAtom posted:

A bunch, sometimes because the plot of a lot of series involves other dimension. Anything involving Dunbine for example has Byston Well.

Okay, I'll grant that

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

I...don't think I'm going to like Kouichi, unless he gets over this real fast.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Hunter Noventa posted:

I love the idea of a "Men's Super Robots Monthly". it's exactly the sort of thign that would exist in an SRW universe.

IRC that was a thing in Dancouga Nova.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Technically, Marvel is canon to the SRW universe thanks to Project Cross Zone and Marvel vs Capcom.

Well, about as canon as alternate universes get. Actually, speaking of which, is Marvel vs Capcom even canon to the characters in Project X Zone?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Sordas Volantyr posted:

It's amazing how much better this song sounds without the vocals. Like, I heard this version first, thought "Well, this is the immediate winner of the BGMs so far", decided to look up the actual OP, regretted it the second the vocals kicked in.

This is more or less how I feel about the Cross Ange units theme in V. It sounds good, especially at the beginning, but when I hear it with vocals it sounds, I don't know, kinda mediocre.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty much every SRW assumes some familiarity to at least some series in its roster. If it's not a premiere or a older series that's being given major focus then expect the cliff notes version of the introduction.

Mazinger always gets this, excluding when they first did Shin and SKL.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Okay, so I know jack about Iczer-1, so can someone explain to me what's going to happen with that, since Nagisa is in a coma and, from what I gathered, that means no Iczer Robo. Is Iczer-1 just gonna hang around until Nagisa is up? Also, Godannar! Yeah!

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 3, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

Over here:

Iczer-1 is a unit by herself and general consensus is that she's overall better off that way. Iczer Robo has better range and EN usage, but Iczer-1 has WAY better movement (she can fly) and survivability (being SS size mean she'll dodge forever).

Iczer Robo, on average, has a better damage spread but Iczer-1 packs a heavier punch (eventually).

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Yeah, I honestly liked Kaikink. I wish they could've fully explored it, done a whole Victory Gundam thing with firing its own parts at the enemy as attacks, though I can tell why they didn't, since it didn't last that long, iirc.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Well, with our "Leader" here, we need to find a good place for him to sit. Oh, I know, how about this lovely bench. Don't worry Reiji, there's plenty of room for your attitude as well.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Okay, maybe Reiji can redeem himself. But honestly, not off to a great start. Even if he comes in at 40% upgrade, I probably wouldn't use him unless he gets redeemed, solely because of his attitude (but obviously not up to me, so unless you do a vote, don't worry about it). It's basically why I bench Katz and Destiny-era Kira. Though to be fair to him, I agree with his decision to go at Kouichi. My problem is that he gets introduced as the leader, with our guys getting no say in the matter, and then goes about saying our guys suck and that we have to do what he says, demanding respect as the leader, but not earning it, with Yamashita being two steps away from kissing the ground he walks on. That is my issue with him. But yeah, if he does get redeemed, I'll accept it.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Onmi posted:

To be quite fair, he says that every individual pilot is an exceptional one, but they have no coordination in working as an army, that's how they suck. He's the kind of guy who likely finds it very awkward to compliment someone and to lighten up off the rear end in a top hat button, hence why his compliment to Yamashita is basically "Yeah you didn't perform perfectly but you've really grown." He's clearly praising his subordinate for having grown, but he lacks the proper tact to phrase "But you have room for improvement" as anything but "It wasn't perfect."

Yeah, okay, I can see that. Maybe it's just not liking him getting made leader and already pushing his weight around. Maybe he's just not good talking to people. But I'll wait to see how things go before feeling if I was wrong about him or not.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Oh hey, we're finally getting back to these guys. And unlike with Z, this time the Federation (or Alliance or OMNI or whatever) didn't feel like getting involved at all. If this was the Marvel-verse (comics, not movies) I'm sure that the civilians would still blame our guys despite our guys doing all they can to help and the Feddie guys doing absolutely nothing (though I'm not holding out for the civilians of this game to be much better).

Also, Iczer-1 in space... No, no. It's too early to reference HIM.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Onmi posted:

I like to think this puts to rest the thoughts that Reiji's just a hardass thinking that everyone's poo poo. You can see here that he has a very good reason for wanting Ichitaka to leave and get to safety, but if Ichitaka shows his determination to stay, then Reiji will back down and let him, rather than try to force him to do otherwise or scream about insubordination.

Yep, I concede. Bad first impression, but he's clearly not a dick, just not good with people.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

: Can the Athhas not take care of anything?!

No, no they cannot. I think the Athha way is to do the dumbest possible thing, as evidenced by Cagalli's father killing himself and his entire power base, and something Cagalli ends up doing in Destiny. Though I don't know if she does it in L.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

Oh, but to be fair, L Cagalli has at least so far shown herself to be a better leader that daddy-o: she got Orb to join in on the UN's bid to fight the Darius and whatnot and actively told Athrun to get out there and help protect the world (...with Durandal, but, hey).

True, but being better than her father (whose name I only just remembered, Uzumi) doesn't say much.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Logicblade posted:

Oh no my pacifism has been compromised, time to blow myself and all the senate leaders up.

Except for the Seirans, my greatest political enemies who will use the death of me and my entire power base to take over Not-Japan-I mean orb. And the Rondos, because they're part of Astray, which is more interesting.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Onmi posted:

To be fair, Relena NEVER gave the slightest bit of a gently caress for the people who kidnapped her. Seriously, actually go back and look at Wing, even when in obvious captivity she basically only has contempt for the people doing so. I mean she was brought to an Oz party after basically being kidnapped by Oz and shot at Une. When she was brought by the Romefeller foundation to be a figurehead her response was to completely blow them off and say what she wanted too anyway. Even when she was going to the Libra her response was basically "I'm going to convince my brother to stop fighting and you can really just put all those Guns down because I don't care."

This is one of the things people seem to forget about Relena. Even when she's captured, she retains the same level of calm. There is no doubt in my mind that between Relena and Heero, we know who really wears the metaphorical pants.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Oh hey, we're actually advancing the plot of Iczer-1. And yes, Sepia and Cobalt were lovers. They even kiss in the first episode.

And now for Linebarrels. Oh good, someone called him out on his attitude, I was waiting for that.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

I know! When I saw this scene, I couldn't help chuckling a bit.

"We just heard of a unit so destructive it can tear through an entire city with one attack! It's incredibly dangerous!"

"Dude, that's sick! Think of all the genocide we could do with that poo poo!"

Geez, imagine how he'd act if her found out about Mazinger Zero.

"This... I don't even know if it's really a robot anymore. This thing has wiped out multiple universes, absorbs its pilot and is single mindedly devoted to becoming the only robot in the entire multiverse."

"Oh my completely-natural-and-not-genetically-modified God... Imagine the number of Coordinators we could kill! Somebody get me this thing so I can kill Coordinator scum in all universes!"

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

: …I won’t be beaten by you. I can’t!
: Nagisa..
: You killed my mom and my dad… I will NOT let myself lose to you monsters!!

I don't think that's the right Nagisa mugshot. I'm not even sure if it's the right Nagisa.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

There's no way it can be done.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

: Eh? Did Mira comeback?
: Look again, Kenji. That might look like the Neo Okusaer but it’s a different unit!

:words:

: And, Anna, that mech was set up for Shizuru to use, so it might not be the best fit for you. I reckon the seat, in particular, will be too wide, but just bear with it for now!
: Shiba!

I don't think Kenji has a split personality.

Also, I've clearly seen too much of Godannar if I don't even bat an eye at the butt joke.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Okay, okay, I think I've figured out the plot of Linebarrels the anime. Take everything from the manga, distort it until it looks nothing like it originally did, then show it on TV. Did I get that right?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

I wanna see someone LP it just so we can mock it...and also for Gun X Sword. LET'S GO! EL DORADO!

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

STELLAAA! STELLAAA!

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Huh. Did not expect it to go that way at the end. I am pleasantly surprised.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

: What is that…?!
: A synchro-game set up as an old-school party game by the looks of it... (Yes, this is THAT game Shinji and Asuka had to work with to sync-up. Someone call him and Rei over!)
: Now we begin the thrilling Stage 5!

:dance: Everyone, dance like you want to win! :dance:

But seriously, who would design something with SO MANY stages in order to get through with all of them being stupid? ...I would. I would totally do that. Ishigami is me.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Onmi posted:

The Destiny Impulse is a better Destiny than the Destiny.

Okay, I'm gonna ignore all the nerdy technical stuff and just point out the thruster dick. Why would you put that there?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Alacron posted:

Before I can tell you that, I need to remember which one is Voltes and which one is Combattler, and also which one was part of the Frontier's universe.

Combattler V was the one with the V and Voltes V was the one with the V... Or was it the other way around?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Onmi posted:

Until the end of Combattler V's first half (Which coincidentally, is all SRW bothers to adapt AFAIK) the show is worth adapting, We've seen it use parts of it in SRW before, but I don't ever recall seeing the whole thing.

Did you mean the guy with a metal plate over his eye and his spiky headed older brother? Cause if so, Advance/A Portable and Alpha 3.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

:sigh: I forgot all about the Black Tri-Star knockoffs. Really, they exemplify some of the worst parts of SEED and SEED Destiny (and before you bring up other series doing it, these two do it the worst): Just casually taking things from Gundam and altering it juuuust enough that they could claim it's an "homage" or something rather than just being lazy. Also, acronyms. They're also flat characters, which is more of an issue here than with the Tri-Stars who lasted all of 2 episodes (except for one of them, who only lasted one), mainly because flatness is the name of the game with SEED. Seriously, all they have is being discount (and I'm talking 90% off here!) Black Tri-Stars and being stupidly devoted to Lacus (and that's not me hating Lacus, though I do, it's just blind "For Lacus-sama's sake!" devotion). What was even the point other than going "Look, look! We have DOMs, and Black Tri-Stars! See all this cool stuff we stole-I mean, homaged to Gundam!"?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

Edit: by the way, you, reading this message! Yes, I mean you! You skipped listening to Ali Project, didn't you? Click this link and listen to it right NOW! You will not avoid paying your due!

:stonk: :stonklol: :suicide:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

In my defense, the original line is "どうしてラクスを!?" which, one, completely lacks any verbs and left it up to me to fill in the blanks; and, two, the way I originally ran this ABSOLUTELY sounds like something Kira would say.

Huh, guess I was so shocked by how bad that song was I completely missed Destiny Kira being Destiny Kira. And some people wonder why Kira never leaves the bench in my playthroughs, except for when the game makes me use him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

Got a new update coming later, so can we get just a few more posts to flip us to a new page?

If not, I'll be forced to post more Ali Project...

Everyone post, now!

• Locked thread