Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh, weird to see the prologue doesn't introduce the originals at all. I don't know much about most srw games but that seems out of the norm.

It's not terribly common, I want to say either Z2.1 or Z2.2 did it (or maybe both? It's been a while) just to lay some of the setting groundwork, and there's I think one other one I'm forgetting where the MC is hanging around sans robot (J I think does this with Calvina but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering another one). But yeah, SOP is for the original to be introduced during the first stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

AradoBalanga posted:

Off the top of my head, the list of SRWs (aside from L) where the protagonist is not introduced/included in the action right at minute one are:

--D (The first prologue stage is Getter Robo Armageddon's introduction and features neither Josh or Rim, who show up in the second prologue)

This is exactly what I couldn't remember!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Mikl posted:

What was the SRW that had several characters named Gai, resulting in the LP having to differentiate between them? I think the game had Nadesico, Gao Gai Gar, and another one.

That would be W, with Gai from GaoGaiGar sharing the roster with Gai from Nadesico and Gai from Gundam SEED: Astray.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

AradoBalanga posted:

I hope everyone had fun playing with Yzak's Slash ZAKU Phantom, because it is now gone for good. No, there isn't any secret action or some fancy dialogue tree to keep it, it just vanishes into the ether after this stage.

:smith:

I have mostly neutral opinions about SEED (and the standard 'holy hell this is dumb' opinion about Destiny) but I always liked Yzak, partly because I like long-range / sniper characters, partly because he's funny at times, and partly because he was always a solid squad-clearer in Alpha 3.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Oh hey, :unsmith:, I did mean Dearka. Holy hell I need more sleep.

Yzak is good because he increases the Tomokazu Seki quotient whenever he shows up (although not in this game, of course) but had no real gameplay niche. I will not miss him that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Section Z posted:

If more "Absurdly good pilot" characters followed Maximilian Jenius example, we'd have half the melodrama and twice the 'He just did loving what?' :v:

His goddamned name is "Max Genius", and he gets away with it.

It's still upsetting to me that him leaving the Battle 7 command position wasn't optional in Alpha 3. C'mon, it's the franchise-ending fanservice extravaganza, give me the option to swap him back in and have Battle 7 dodge tank maps!

• Locked thread