Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

cool av posted:

sure I could google this but for the sake of discussion... if i'm given a solution to say the traveling salesman problem, how do I check that it's correct (optimal) in polynomial time? is it one of those things where you have some known NP problem that's easy to check and you translate your other NP problem into that one first in order to check it?
Here is how I understand it:

P and NP are used to describe decision problems so you call it dTSP then ask "Is there a route under X?"

Then your magic box does it's working to find a route and tells you yes or no < this is the complicated bit

Then to check whether the box was full of poo poo you check it's working out by adding up the route yourself and decide whether it is under X < adding up is easy so it's P

Berious fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
how is polynomial time defined? im guessing "in one lifetime" isn't an actual si unit.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gently caress the guy who solved Fermat's last btw

two japanese mathematicians killed themselves when nobody took their work seriously, then another mathematician shows that if they were right it proves fermat

so all of a sudden this stodgy douchebag comes riding into the scene to feed his ego

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A Pinball Wizard posted:

how is polynomial time defined? im guessing "in one lifetime" isn't an actual si unit.

basically, you have some number n that represents how large the input to your problem is - for example, how many cities your travelling salesman is trying to visit

if your algorithm runs in "polynomial time", that means that you can pick some finite number c so that it takes less than nc operations to complete, no matter what input you run it on

note that this doesn't mean it runs "fast". there are lots of situations where people use brute-force exponential algorithms even though polynomial-time algorithms exist, because on all the inputs small enough to be feasibly solved the brute-force method is faster.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 15, 2017

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
this is a good post about tsp:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/jfp/entry/no_the_tsp_isn_t_np_complete?lang=en

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
based on barely understanding anything in this thread I'm gonna say that P obviously = NP

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i dont know, op

sorry

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

is p = np good or bad for bitcoin

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pee = op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

broadly it's the category of O(n^K) where k is basically just the number of nested loops your algorithm needs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

brute forcing traveling salesman, on the other hand, is O(n!) aka get hosed

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Anneal my simulated rear end.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Why would anyone not think P=NP and that we're just all loving idiots who dont know poo poo

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

my username dictates i must post in this thread.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

is p = np good or bad for bitcoin

it would be great for buttcoin because all encryption would be worthless so someone could steal your real dollars as easily as your internet funbux

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Encryption relies on picking a big number. sorry thats underselling it. a REALLY big number.

sure thats a system that will remain foolproof.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

power botton posted:

Encryption relies on picking a big number. sorry thats underselling it. a REALLY big number.

sure thats a system that will remain foolproof.

lol

George
Nov 27, 2004

its the number of bitcoins in my cybersafe, peasant

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if you want to understand the current state of the P vs. NP problem, and you don't already have a phd in cs with a specialization in computational complexity theory, you should read this: http://www.scottaaronson.com/papers/pnp.pdf

looks cool, op

btw i'm the ironic complexity theory

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

carry on then posted:

it's actually P=NIS

we produce a proof of this statement *unzips*

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

carry on then posted:

we produce a proof of this statement *unzips*

I have a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain. :smug:

George
Nov 27, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

I have a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain. :smug:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

power botton posted:

Why would anyone not think P=NP and that we're just all loving idiots who dont know poo poo

b/c all you would have to do to prove it is find a polynomial time algorithm, no matter how slow or lovely, for any problem in NP, and lots of smart people have been trying to do that for decades while getting nowhere. also P != NP is the intuitive answer. i mean if you think about the problems involved it's pretty obvious there are no easy solutions for them. i have no idea how anyone could think P = NP tbh

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Doom Mathematic posted:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i have no idea how anyone could think P = NP tbh

my theory is they are bit fat retards who like anime

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Doom Mathematic posted:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tiny Bug Child posted:

b/c all you would have to do to prove it is find a polynomial time algorithm, no matter how slow or lovely, for any problem in NP, and lots of smart people have been trying to do that for decades while getting nowhere. also P != NP is the intuitive answer. i mean if you think about the problems involved it's pretty obvious there are no easy solutions for them. i have no idea how anyone could think P = NP tbh

Yeah: proving theorems in a formal system is an NP problem, so P=NP is roughly equivalent to saying "maths is secretly easy".

I recently found out that we already have an algorithm for some NP-complete problem that we can show runs in polynomial time iff P=NP, but no-one can prove anything about its worst-case asymptotic behaviour.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tiny Bug Child posted:

wow, they've been trying for decades? that's, like, forever for something as smart as a human being.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
P>NP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
0.999999=1

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

indigi posted:

wow, they've been trying for decades? that's, like, forever for something as smart as a human being.

thing is it's such a ridiculous idea. just because you can check an answer for a thing easily doesn't mean there must be some as yet undiscovered special trick to make working out the thing easy too

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
if this is what mathematicians spend their time on then IMO they should quit their jobs and become NEET because at least then they would know all about something real like Naruto

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
donald trump thinks p is np

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Berious posted:

thing is it's such a ridiculous idea. just because you can check an answer for a thing easily doesn't mean there must be some as yet undiscovered special trick to make working out the thing easy too

you're taking "easy" too literally

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

:trumppop:

George
Nov 27, 2004

Berious posted:

if this is what mathematicians spend their time on then IMO they should quit their jobs and become NEET because at least then they would know all about something real like Naruto

s/mathematicians​/computer touchers/

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Doom Mathematic posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WrenP-Complete posted:

my username dictates i must post in this thread.

P=NURTIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

P=ENIS

• Locked thread