Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

JewKiller 3000 posted:

people "knew" that fermat's last theorem was true because it's a simple calculation that you can test for many numbers to see a pattern. if you run a program to do that for a long time and see that it's always true, you have pretty strong evidence to believe the conjecture. that's not a general proof, because really big numbers can and do change the result unexpectedly. but even if you're satisfied with the unproven belief, you don't really know why it's true, you just found a pattern and declared it a law, you haven't really understood the nature of the universe any better. the ultimate proof of fermat's last theorem linked different fields of math together in previously unseen ways, and those discoveries will have far more lasting value to mathematics than simply a definitive answer to fermat's conjecture

P vs. NP is a question about classes of problems, there's no way of just running it a bunch of times and convincing yourself that it's true. all you can do is look at the body of research work and conclude that because no one has been able to solve these problems efficiently, they must be fundamentally hard. but no one was able to solve relativity before einstein, so what if we just need the computing version of einstein to come along and revolutionize everything? don't you want to be that guy? it seems like we're gonna need him anyway even to prove that P != NP, because no one has the slightest idea of how to do that, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in our current understanding of the hardness of these problems, does it?

:golfclap: this is excellent stuff. you should write a book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

id read a book by jew killer 3000

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Stymie posted:

there was an engineer at hp a few years ago who produced a proof that p=np but it was quickly hushed up because it basically would have destroyed the computer touching industry

Agreed, also my uncle came up with a special carburetor in his garage in the 70's that got 100Mpg, but it would have destroyed the entire petroleum industry so it was stolen from him and then he was put in an insane asylum.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

it's in the cia headquarters vault, hanging out with the cold fusion reactor and the carburetor that gets 100mi/gal

This was the carburetor my uncle invented.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 21, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Agreed, also my uncle came up with a special carburetor in his garage in the 70's that got 100Mpg, but it would have destroyed the entire petroleum industry so it was stolen from him and then he was put in an insane asylum.

This was the carburetor my uncle invented.

i have a carburetor that gets 100mpg it's called a keihin CV 3D and it's mounted my honda cl350 motorcycle

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sagebrush posted:

i have a carburetor that gets 100mpg it's called a keihin CV 3D and it's mounted my honda cl350 motorcycle

Yea but he put it on his 1979 Corvette and then drove to Detroit from Texas without stopping for gas.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i was wrong about the hp engineer, his proof was p != np and was quickly debunked

still, there is plenty of opposition to actually researching the problem because an entire fraudulent industry rides on one of the solutions being correct

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

id read a book by jew killer 3000

mein kampfjecture that p=np

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i went from that survey article someone linked to a book about quantum mechanics from the perspective of computation theory halp

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
For a given NP problem there are algorithms that are faster than others. One might wonder if the algorithms could be improved to the point that they run in polynomial time. It's like asking "Can a human run 100 meters in under 8 seconds?" One might think it could be possible if they look at the world record times and see that they are improving over the years.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

qkkl posted:

For a given NP problem there are algorithms that are faster than others. One might wonder if the algorithms could be improved to the point that they run in polynomial time. It's like asking "Can a human run 100 meters in under 8 seconds?" One might think it could be possible if they look at the world record times and see that they are improving over the years.

it's not really how fast, more that the answer keeps on needing to be checked until correct, i.e. sorting needs to be checked. there's algorithms, but it's not as simple as applying an equation and having it spit out an answer immediately

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

donald trump thinks p is np

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is the only good p = np joke i've ever read

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

more like no one should expect np to be efficiently solvable, but it could be that there exists some monstrous, but still polynomial, bound for those problems (e.g. it turns out that satisfiability is solvable in time n^100), which would rather mean the end for the polynomial hierarchy as a way of separating these things than it would mean that np-complete problems can be efficiently solved

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

more like no one should expect np to be efficiently solvable, but it could be that there exists some monstrous, but still polynomial, bound for those problems (e.g. it turns out that satisfiability is solvable in time n^100), which would rather mean the end for the polynomial hierarchy as a way of separating these things than it would mean that np-complete problems can be efficiently solved

eat my balls

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what if we made a computer so vast and efficient, it could simulate the entire universe faster than the universe itself existed?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is a legit philosophical conundrum why all "natural" problems tend to either be np (or worse), or n^c for very small integers c. is the small exponents inherent in what we view as natural, or is it that there exists families of stronger algorithms which we have difficulty discovering by intuitive means? primality testing surprisingly being in p, with a running time of O(n^12) (later reduced to O(n^6) granted) is one of the odd ones out, but may be the first of something bigger (having only been figured out in 2002)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

1 million dollars says you can't prove it, OP.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

what if we made a computer so vast and efficient, it could simulate the entire universe faster than the universe itself existed?

eventually the cosmological constant expanding the universe would mean you'd lose track of your memory. it would recede from you faster than the speed of light eventually.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

information theory would show up and say "no" and then it wouldn't work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

eventually the cosmological constant expanding the universe would mean you'd lose track of your memory. it would recede from you faster than the speed of light eventually.

this is pretty cool to think aboot

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

this is pretty cool to think aboot

You don't need to simulate the entire universe, just the parts that contain the math problem.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Silver Alicorn posted:

i think you could if you hack elementary particles and make more efficient ones, way better than "god's" lovely implementation

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
you could make a computer that simulates the universe on an extremely slow level compared with the current universe, but the observers inside the simulation would perceive as normal speed, just like we do in our simulated universe

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i think you could if you hack elementary particles and make more efficient ones, way better than "god's" lovely implementation

please see permutation city by greg egan

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Speaking of this: what's the current best guess as to whether photosynthesis is (a) extremely optimized and pushing the limits of efficiency after billions of years of evolution, or (b) a stupid nature hack full of problems and dumb pathways and scientists will soon be able to make their own better version that lets us have bright green cars that run forever on sunlight and water

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'll bet modern PVs are already more efficient than plant based photosynthesis

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

Speaking of this: what's the current best guess as to whether photosynthesis is (a) extremely optimized and pushing the limits of efficiency after billions of years of evolution, or (b) a stupid nature hack full of problems and dumb pathways and scientists will soon be able to make their own better version that lets us have bright green cars that run forever on sunlight and water

the same process that decided "gently caress it let's just oxidize water" and pulled it off is the one that brought us "whoops i'm doing photorespiration now"

so it's both

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sagebrush posted:

i can tell you this: photosynthesis REALLY hates the color green for some reason and throws that poo poo out the window back into our eyes for us to see

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'll bet modern PVs are already more efficient than plant based photosynthesis

they aren't, but getting better

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i can tell you this: photosynthesis REALLY hates the color green for some reason and throws that poo poo out the window back into our eyes for us to see

lol yeah whats up w/ that

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

they aren't, but getting better

sugarcane is like 8%, which is why brazil will be our liquid fuel overlords .

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bloody posted:

lol yeah whats up w/ that

Plants are too intelligent to go through a life-long goth phase.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are plants with leaves that aren't green, folks. Its just that the green-reflecting kind of clorphyll is apparently more competitive or at least just ended up more common

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
here is a video that i linked my non-maths friend to explain p and np
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX40hbAHx3s

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Larry Parrish posted:

There are plants with leaves that aren't green, folks. Its just that the green-reflecting kind of clorphyll is apparently more competitive or at least just ended up more common

not many, and the leaves that aren't green are considered loving nerds

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i don't know if i like the video.. he mentions sorting. checking sorting can be done in polynomial time, but actually sorting - isn't that np?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i don't know if i like the video.. he mentions sorting. checking sorting can be done in polynomial time, but actually sorting - isn't that np?

....well, if the ordering isn't required to be transitive i guess? but mostly no

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

didnt watch the video, but sorting is n log n which is better than most polynomials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

not many, and the leaves that aren't green are considered loving nerds

Apparently the chlorophyll variant those plants have isn't as efficient as the green-reflecting kind for the sun's particular emissions

• Locked thread