Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
yospos programmer threads getting sassy lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

thanks that is good info

it just sounds like to me sorting (or for now) is sort of np because in any case, you need to keep checking to see if you have the correct answer

this isn't quite correct. The thing about most sorting algorithms is that they don't require you to compare the whole list to itself at every step. they exploit the nature of arrays or lists to split up the work involved to reduce the number of comparisons involved. a good sorting algorithm, like merge sort, can be proven mathematically to place things in the correct order with no need to check the entire list at the end to verify that it's entirely sorted. it is instead simply a property of the algorithm that things end up sorted.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
seriously in any bachelor's level algos or data structure course almost everything you study will be from prior to the 70s. all that's left to study are the things that were too hard to do in the last 70 years.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

flakeloaf posted:

i'm doing one right now and the book is incomprehensible

my experience with algos class was that id feel like i was drowning in incomprehensible math for two weeks at a time and then suddenly something would click, then we'd move onto the next topic and it started all over again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

algos class seems like one that really benefits from being taught by someone who is skilled at teaching, not just algorithms. mine was more of an infodump (with CLRS as the text lmao) and i feel like i'll have to do a bunch of self study the next time im out interviewing because i never really got it :(

agreed. my professor was this guy and while he is clearly brilliant he was a struggle to understand at times: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/people/dieter

his domain of research was specifically trying to prove p=np

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i just can't agree. penis clearly != no penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
especially in computer programming judging by gender balance

• Locked thread