Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

there are certain classes of problem where no matter how big the numbers are u could solve any of them with a deterministic computer (well, turing machine) in polynomial time (i. e. in this lifetime). these are P. a deterministic computer goes down each possible branch one at a time when multiple are possible

there's another class which is a superset of the first, where no matter how big the numbers are, u could solve any of them with a non-deterministic turing machine, which considers all possible branches at the same time, which is a theoretical construct and can't exist, in polynomial time. these problems are NP problems

because every NP-complete problem must be NP-hard, every NP problem must be reducible to every NP-complete problem in polynomial time. so if we find a way to solve even a single NP-complete problem in polynomial time on a deterministic turing machine (the one that can exist in real life), we already have the means to convert every NP problem into that problem and solve them. it's hella unlikely that one of those problems exists, but because it seems like it's so close, there's a ton of activity around it.

ok so basically

1) there are problems that can be solved in a reasonable time with a real computer
2) there are other problems that can only be solved in a reasonable time with a magic computer that can provably never exist
3) this question is asking if the the problems that can be solved only with a magic computer might also be solvable with a real computer using some special technique

that's stupid. obviously the answer is no. like asking if you can travel faster than the speed of light.

there, i saved you all a bunch of research dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

who cares

people knew for 300 years that fermat's last theorem was probably true and then it was proven that yes, indeed it is true, and aside from one weird old british man getting his picture in the paper it didn't change the world in the slightest

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so what about the rest of the problems in NP that we haven't been able to do this for? are we just not smart enough, or is it really the case that we fundamentally can't do it? why would that be, what is it about these problems that makes them so different from the ones in P?

they're harder, op

yeeesh you guys are really overthinking this stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stymie's uncle once invented a carburetor that would get 1000 miles per gallon but the UAW dumped him in lake michigan

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Agreed, also my uncle came up with a special carburetor in his garage in the 70's that got 100Mpg, but it would have destroyed the entire petroleum industry so it was stolen from him and then he was put in an insane asylum.

This was the carburetor my uncle invented.

i have a carburetor that gets 100mpg it's called a keihin CV 3D and it's mounted my honda cl350 motorcycle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i think you could if you hack elementary particles and make more efficient ones, way better than "god's" lovely implementation

Speaking of this: what's the current best guess as to whether photosynthesis is (a) extremely optimized and pushing the limits of efficiency after billions of years of evolution, or (b) a stupid nature hack full of problems and dumb pathways and scientists will soon be able to make their own better version that lets us have bright green cars that run forever on sunlight and water

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

unfortunately all the easy algorithms have already been taken. only the impossible ones remain. it's because of the glut of CS students and useless bachelor's degrees imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elysiume posted:

whenever I see this video linked I leave it on in the background because some of the algorithms sound so good. merge sort with with bip bip bip bworp bwooorp

radix sort sounds super cool (and also appears to be the fastest)

• Locked thread